U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2011, 10:25 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,480,534 times

Advertisements

oops, sorry! My daughter got a spot here but I just realized how very far it is from where we'll be living!

Last edited by librarySue; 03-05-2011 at 10:37 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 11:14 AM

285 posts, read 457,852 times
Default PreEminent Charter

I interviewed for a teaching position there two years ago. I was impressed with the principal and vice-principal. The building was plain, but nice and neat. I didn't get to see any classes in action, since it was summer time. It is a National Heritage Academy, so you can look on the NHA website if you want more info from that perspective.

I do know that the school was struggling several years ago and nearly lost its charter. The current principal was brought in to straighten things out, but I've not really heard what kind of success he's had.

You mentioned the distance to the school. That's one reason why I decided not to work there, because of the commute from Durham.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:51 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,480,534 times
Thanks for the info. I would definitely consider working there! I was very impressed with the National Heritage Charter program.

But no, we just can't swing that long drive for my middle schooler.

I had wondered what was going on that there were so many spaces available for 6th and 8th grades, thought maybe it was just a relatively new school. New principal makes sense. To me, that would translate as smaller class sizes

Old 04-01-2011, 11:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,977 times
My daughter attended PreEntiment Charter School from grades K-5. The School originally started out on Wade Avenue... about 10 years ago if you know anything about Raleigh NC then you know that area is on the OTHER side of town. I really liked the school and everything that the person replied about was true concerning Dr. Stein and how the teachers were treated after he left. Dr. Stein left and it was down hill from there. I took my daughter out the year after because I moved further away.

Dr. Stein was another "JOE BROWN" except a different race..he was also former military. At any rate the school was functioning at a high level from the time my daughter wasw their until she left. The Secretary Mrs. Davis was no joke either, she made sure the paperwork for my child was straight when she enrolled so I never had any problems witht the school. The kids really respected the teachers and staff. My daughter knew when she started Kindergarten that If I got one phone call from the teacher that she was acting up or being disrespecful it was on like POPCORN. I am glad to say she is 15 years old, an AB honor roll student, she is taking Honors courses and she is doing great, but I worked with her at home too and in the summer, and kept her at the Y CAMP. I know for sure it is because she had a great start at Pre-Entiment!!! I know they also have a Pre- Entiment in Durham. I really do believe that the teachers would have stayed if they would of been respected and treated fairly by the administrator's who were in charge of the school. I also know the Board was made up of some parent's as well.

I am glad that my daughter will be graduating in 3 years because the state of the Wake County Public School System is in a MESS. Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, and other people too many to name have gave their lives to see our children have equal rights and opportunities, now that is being rapidly taken away with all of this so called COMMUNITY SCHOOLING! i WON'T OPEN UP THAT CAN OF WORMS but i will say it is a SAD COMMENTARY that we are going back to SEGREGATING PUBLIC SCHOOLS.. the Charter Schools use to be a alternative to Public schools becasue parents wanted their children treated fairly now any school charter or not can be considered the norm because the days of really teaching kids can not happen in the classroom when teachers have 20 or more kids in a class, they are burnt out from having to be a teacher plus a mom, dad, social worker, and caregiver to our children, they have too many roles in one day. THANK GOD for the teachers that were positive in my daughters life, she still remembers all of them from Pre-Entiment!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary