Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 12:48 PM

82 posts, read 224,298 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been applying to temp agencies such as Aerotek, KForce, etc. He recently found consumer reviews that shared temp agency horror stories, like offering much lower wages and threatening to report people for declining a job offer to unemployment; interviewing and/or placing people who are not qualified for a position simply to meet a quota, etc.

Just wondering who has used a temp agency around here, which one and how your experience was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 01:06 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,545,664 times
They are sales people first and foremost, they don't care about you, so that inherently makes it NOT GOOD for you.

My experience was that it was a PITA dealing with them because you always had to meet face to face with them before they would even consider submitting your resume for any position. They would call me and tell me they had positions available, and that I need to meet with them. Then I would meet them, and never hear back. This is not because I am a bad candidate. Actually, I was a recruiters dream. Always wore a suit, personable, clean cut and had a well written resume. They do this so that they can have you in their system just in case something comes along that you fit in for. That can work to your advantage, but it's misleading that you think you're showing up for an interview, but really they're just making sure you're a well put together person, in case they need you in the future.

Most of the time, they are clueless on qualifications especially in the IT field.

They definitely low-ball you on wage. You can certainly negotiate that.

Are you using one hoping that the temp will turn into a permanent? Or do you plan to stick with the temp work long-term? If it's the first, just make sure that when you meet with the employer, that they are on the same page.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:32 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
They are sales people first and foremost, they don't care about you, so that inherently makes it NOT GOOD for you.

Most of the time, they are clueless on qualifications especially in the IT field.

They definitely low-ball you on wage. You can certainly negotiate that.
Yes. Yes. and Yes.

I once had a former bank teller at a recruiting firm interview me for an embedded software position.

They're one step up from car salesmen.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:59 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,990 times
I hear good things about ManPower

Old 03-07-2011, 02:01 PM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,653 times
It won't change your mind, but I can promise you guys that not every recruiter is like that. But I can say I am happy to be out of the industry now due to the stereotypes that the bad recruiters gave us, and it made it much harder to do my job. And yes they are sales, the companies are in it to also make money, its a business!

Old 03-07-2011, 02:19 PM

804 posts, read 2,004,495 times
here in the raleigh area i've used two temp agencies, both of which netted me long-term positions. granted, i'm in the legal field so perhaps the experience there would be different than another.

the first was with robert half international. i didn't have a particular issue, since the recruiter matched me well to a position although i did find the particular agent to be kind of strange.

the second was with carolina legal staffing & i found them to be very professional & responsive. i got the position where i am currently working now going on 8 years & i know it was a good match for me & the firm.

i've also heard good things about manpower from several people who got positions through them.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:19 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
I've rarely had any problems with agencies.

Of course it's all about money. What else would it be?

The only one I had a problem with was one from out of town who was a "preferred vendor" of a local major employer. The recruiter told the hiring manager that I spent two years in the Peace Corps! I never did any such thing. He also changed a few other tidbits in my resume without my knowledge. My resume didn't need padding. Needless to say, I didn't get the job after the hiring manager asked me about my Peace Corps experience, and of course I told her I didn't have a clue what she was talking about.

Now I always make sure to ask them not to change my resume without my permission; they will usually remove contact information and replace it with their own, which is fine.

Always negotiate and ask a lot of questions.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:00 AM

103 posts, read 157,581 times
I had good results with Express Staffing in Durham off 54. I had a job within 2 weeks of giving them my resume. Not a great job, but a job.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:06 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,181,381 times
My experience was GREAT back in the 90s! You could get a job in two days. I'm sure it's pretty much the same now.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:45 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,983,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baaadgoatjoke View Post
I had good results with Express Staffing in Durham off 54. I had a job within 2 weeks of giving them my resume. Not a great job, but a job.
I have to second this one. I was laid off from my last job on a Wednesday. I put my resume in to Express the same day and the next day, I got a temp position starting that following Tuesday. That temp job turned into a full hire position and I've been here now for 6 years.

What I liked about Express was their service. They actually kept in constant contact with me from my first day as a temp, all the way up until I was hired. Just checking in to make sure I was okay, enjoying the assignment, if I had anything on my mind, etc. They even stopped by on occasion a few times as well. I recommended a few friends to Express, and they had the same experience. Highly recommend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary