Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 01:01 PM

20 posts, read 45,444 times

Advertisements

Where we live now in the New York City area many large company's will only hire through " Head Hunters". They want pre screened people who meet their hiring requirements having the recruiters screen resumes and experience.

These jobs are usually in the $100k to $250 k area.

Less lawsuits this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 01:42 PM

204 posts, read 383,695 times
I have sat idle for far too long regarding this topic. I am a former agency recruiter and I spent a number of years in that role. First I will say that there are certainly less than stellar recruiters out there (as there are in any field) so if you have dealt with those individuals I am sorry that they have tarnished your view of the profession. Second, I will add that the general public has a very distorted view of a recruiter's role and what they perceive as injustice.

The average agency recruiter receives up to a hundred + unsolicited phone calls and/or emails everyday from both qualified and unqualified candidates. Agency recruiters work on a contingency basis where they are only paid if they fill the position. This requires a very fine line to walk - forcing the recruiter to be in a unique situations where they are trying to please both the company and a multitude of candidates. I have to add tha these candidates pay no fee and get to take advantage of the agency's developed relationship with the company. Also contrary to popular belief I don't know of any recruiters who will try to 'bait and switch' the candidate. Recruiters rely on their reputation with the clients and candidates and no benefit is gained from 'tricking' a candidate.

Honestly, I could go on forever, but I was tired of sitting by and listening to my former profession get trashed. I have a number of close friends still in the industry and I find them to be of the highest moral character. I am extremely sensitive to those in the job search, as I know it isn't easy. Recruiters are sympathetic to their needs, however they answer to their bosses and their clients and ultimately (and unavoidably) someone will not be happy.

Sorry for the diatribe - just please be patient with your recruiter and attempt to see it from both sides.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:59 PM

42 posts, read 105,330 times
How about legitimate headhunters in the finance field?

Any recommendations?

Old 04-08-2009, 07:44 PM

55 posts, read 96,262 times
The recruiters that I have dealt with are temp agencies that work on a commission, based on the worker's hourly rate. 20-25% is reasonable. For example, the client pays the agency $50/hr for the worker's services. The worker gets $40/hr. For the $10 of the delta, the agency pays for their share of social security and other overhead. The rest is profit. For every hour worked. If the agency can get the worker to agree to, say $35/hr, while still billing out at $50, that's gravy for them.
I have dealt with agencies, both as a contract worker and as a client. In my business, word gets around pretty fast if there is dirty dealing. One place I went through lowballed me badly. Billing me out for 60% more than they paid me, rather than the 20-25%. When I found out, I never worked for them again, and now, as a client, when they try to fill a need for me, I don't use them.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:53 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,047,733 times
Default reply

i know and have worked with a ton of professional recruiters in medical sales.There are ethical, high acheivers in most every industry, and there are average, poor and shady as well. It is not hard to ascertain who the good ones are. You just have to do some homework. Good luck.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:58 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,156,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp38393 View Post
I have sat idle for far too long regarding this topic. I am a former agency recruiter and I spent a number of years in that role. First I will say that there are certainly less than stellar recruiters out there (as there are in any field) so if you have dealt with those individuals I am sorry that they have tarnished your view of the profession. Second, I will add that the general public has a very distorted view of a recruiter's role and what they perceive as injustice.

The average agency recruiter receives up to a hundred + unsolicited phone calls and/or emails everyday from both qualified and unqualified candidates. Agency recruiters work on a contingency basis where they are only paid if they fill the position. This requires a very fine line to walk - forcing the recruiter to be in a unique situations where they are trying to please both the company and a multitude of candidates. I have to add tha these candidates pay no fee and get to take advantage of the agency's developed relationship with the company. Also contrary to popular belief I don't know of any recruiters who will try to 'bait and switch' the candidate. Recruiters rely on their reputation with the clients and candidates and no benefit is gained from 'tricking' a candidate.

Honestly, I could go on forever, but I was tired of sitting by and listening to my former profession get trashed. I have a number of close friends still in the industry and I find them to be of the highest moral character. I am extremely sensitive to those in the job search, as I know it isn't easy. Recruiters are sympathetic to their needs, however they answer to their bosses and their clients and ultimately (and unavoidably) someone will not be happy.

Sorry for the diatribe - just please be patient with your recruiter and attempt to see it from both sides.
im in the middle of a job search myself, and i've had a few recruiters and a few things on my own all seem semi-promising. what you're saying about the recruiters seems to be born out in my experiences. they all seem to be well intentioned and not dishonest, but they also seem like they're being inundated with people trying to get anything right now. in the past i felt like recruiters would contact you if they had something to place you in. now i feel like they probably are trying to place 10 people to the same position just to see if something sticks. i dunno, i think they're very helpful for someone moving to a new area with a specific timeframe, so i'm appreciative. hopefully some of the things in the works get finalized and i can move down soon.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:45 AM

419 posts, read 1,397,065 times
[quote=T|K;8245143]I wouldn't not work with a recruiter just based on one individual. Sure there are some bad apples out there, but that is the same with any profession. By not working with recruiters you really limit your search. I would use all avenues to explore jobs when looking, you just have to make sure you trust the person. Also, it might be that the person did submit you at 90k, and the employer came back with 70k, they are just trying to do there job and place you in the role. It is always up to you if you are going to accept the position or not. That is almost like saying this plummer did a bad job with fixing my problem, so I am never going to use one again. I hate that there are bad seeds out there, as it makes my job that much harder, but you have it in any industry.[/QUOTE

I don't buy into that theory. I'm pretty sure the recruiter knew the hiring range for the position. He (and I) knew that my expectations were high from the start but he proceeded with the "hard sell" tactics to convince me to leave my job. I told him flat out that I would leave my job for 90k so a hard sell shouldn't have been necessary.......unless he knew they were looking to hire at 70k. There are bad seeds in any industry but there are a disproportionate number of them in commisioned sales (recruiters, realtors, car sales, timeshare sales, etc.).

Old 04-09-2009, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliecat6571 View Post
What a shame that you all have such bad experiences with recruiters! I am a recruiter, working at home, and work exclusively with several clients that we have had for the last 9-10 years. Everyone we place is EXTREMELY happy that we "found" them. We aren't your typical recruiting firm...we only look for and work for the best, we don't just hire someone to fill a position, and sometimes it takes us months, and I mean MONTHS, of interviewing people to find the right person. We stay in constant contact with our candidates, well after they are hired, and I don't mean a 90 day period...I mean years. We get referrals from other candidates. So.........not all recruiters are bad. There are exceptions to the rule. You should never shut a door, as you never know what it could lead to....ever! I do understand that there are some bad recruiters out there just looking for a placement and to get paid, but maybe one day....just one day....you could receive my call and it could lead to something great!! Just my thoughts.......
Hello! I'm looking to relocate to NC but not familiar with the state. Where can I go to see where the largest Greek community is in NC or even SC?

I am seeking a job and want to see what Greek communities there are so I know where to look for a job...

Can you help me?

thanks!

Old 04-09-2009, 12:58 PM

65 posts, read 320,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
i dunno, i think they're very helpful for someone moving to a new area with a specific timeframe, so i'm appreciative. hopefully some of the things in the works get finalized and i can move down soon.
In regards to your quote, unless you are specially trained in some area of high demand, the climate here in the Triangle right now is extremely competitive. You are competing with a lot of highly trained, intelligent people who have recently been laid off (IBM, Lenovo, Nortel, Sony Ericsson, etc.) So what I am saying is that if I were a recruiter and I had a choice between referring a local candidate or someone remote, and both are equally qualified, I will go with the local candidate.

I am just being realistic.

I have been unemployed for several months now due to layoffs. I have spoken to several agencies in the area. A couple did ask me to come in and talk to them face-to-face, but nothing happened with it. However, I am willing to try any and everything. It only takes one job to pan out.

That being said, a couple have been great. Kept in touch with me, and actively send me positions when they have them. PM me and I can give you some contact names.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,071 times
Default Headhunters - can you also please send the names to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin1264 View Post
I sent you a PM with the names of 2 headhunters!
Interested to also know the names of legit headhunters. If you still have those names, I would love to have or if anyone else have legit ones would love to have.

Have had some incredibly bad experiences and some good. Unfortunately, it seems to be a fact of life now to get to some jobs. Companies are using them as their personnel departments!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary