Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 05:30 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,091,863 times

Advertisements

So, we didn't get into our magnet option (no surprise). But I read my notification letter, and it said that since our 2nd choice was a YR application, we would be removed from the original applicant pool--so we no longer have ANY chance to get into the magnet if someone drops their spot. Is that fair? I looked and couldn't find anywhere on the app that said that would happen.

We applied to magnet, charter, YR, and private to cover all our bases to make a good choice. Now it appears we've limited our choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 05:53 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Doesn't seem fair - what does one thing(magnet) have to do with the other (YR)? Can you call them?

Old 03-24-2011, 06:20 AM

477 posts, read 1,419,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
So, we didn't get into our magnet option (no surprise). But I read my notification letter, and it said that since our 2nd choice was a YR application, we would be removed from the original applicant pool--so we no longer have ANY chance to get into the magnet if someone drops their spot. Is that fair? I looked and couldn't find anywhere on the app that said that would happen.

We applied to magnet, charter, YR, and private to cover all our bases to make a good choice. Now it appears we've limited our choices.
I don't think I understand - did you get your YR 2nd choice?

And, yes, it is my understanding from the Magnet Resource Center that if you want to be considered during the second round you need to "put all your eggs in one basket" and only put your first choice down. We did this several years ago with our oldest daughter and although she was denied her magnet choice, she received a letter much later that she had gotten in after some successful applicants had turned their offer down. The Magnet Resource Center had informed us that this might happen, but ONLY if we limited our application to our first choice.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunomom View Post
I don't think I understand - did you get your YR 2nd choice?

And, yes, it is my understanding from the Magnet Resource Center that if you want to be considered during the second round you need to "put all your eggs in one basket" and only put your first choice down. We did this several years ago with our oldest daughter and although she was denied her magnet choice, she received a letter much later that she had gotten in after some successful applicants had turned their offer down. The Magnet Resource Center had informed us that this might happen, but ONLY if we limited our application to our first choice.
OK, mizunomom, that sure would've been nice to know...HOWEVER, my letter says that since I put YR as my 2nd choice I would be removed from the applicant pool. But I assume not if I'd put a Traditional app in, as many who have a YR base would do? *THAT* is the part that has me calling foul. That's not an even playing field.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:06 AM

Update.....here's what I heard back from WCPSS:

I have looked back through the application and the application flyer and I don't see it stated that if you receive one of your choices then your don't remain in the applicant pool. We will make a note to try to include this information in print next year. But this has always been policy. You have the right to decline your year round seat and return to your base school, but this action still does not allow you to get back in the applicant pool.

As for a school like Martin we rarely have declines. We apologize for any confusion.

Dawn C. Baker
Senior Administrator
Office of Growth and Planning
Wake County Public School System
(919) 431-8261

So....apparently it's not just YR applicants who get booted out of the applicant pool. but the way my letter was worded made it seem as though it was:
"Because your student has been placed at a year-round school, he/she will not remain in the applicant pool for any other magnet program"

I think they need some work here

Old 03-24-2011, 10:52 AM

477 posts, read 1,419,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post

I think they need some work here
That is truly an understatement! I have spent the past 16 years negotiating the magnet and charter application processes with some successes and some failures. I'm so glad I'm almost done with that part of my life!

On another note: Did you apply to Exploris Middle School? I can't say enough good things about this wonderful school! True, you risk not getting into a magnet high school down the line, but to us that was a risk worth taking. (And my 2nd child did NOT get into a magnet or charter high school.)

Best of luck to you and your child!

Old 03-25-2011, 12:34 PM

260 posts, read 638,314 times
I have 2 kids in Magnet and I always specify only one option 'Magnet' on my app. Trust me there are several parent that I know can attest that is the only way to do in applying for magnet. If you have 2nd option then it is possible that you will get your 2nd option and doors for 1st option will close for you.

When you specify your second choice - you are expressing that you will be happy to go to 2nd choice. WCPSS has all the right to use that info.

I cannot say anything about fairness. A large school system like WCPSS have to start sorting students out based on choices they specify on their application. This is what choice does it to you. Now we hear more of such choice is coming our way. Get used to the dark side of 'choice'.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:02 PM

906 posts, read 2,382,544 times
I did know this, but WCPSS does NOT make it very clear how the lottery process works at all. Sorry.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:51 PM

242 posts, read 594,394 times
We applied to 2 magnets and our traditional calendar choice. Big mistake...since what we really wanted is the magnets. Oh well, good luck to us (& all) next year.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:51 PM

Well, I did email my school board rep and let her know I really thought it should be made more clear. I'm not going to pitch a fit about it or anything, but I do think they ought to hire me (professional writer) to articulate things for them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary