Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2011, 04:54 PM

249 posts, read 689,678 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are relocating back to Washington DC after 5 years in Raleigh and will be needing to hire a moving company. When we moved down here in 2006, we didn't do enough research and almost got scammed. It was a nightmare. So we are trying to avoid that mistake again. Although I think I already made a mistake by not already looking into this. We have already moved back to DC and are waiting for our house to sell so it is going to be tough to have a company come out and do an in home estimate. From what I've read, that is something that is highly recommended. We will be back in town in a month so maybe I can get some companies out there at that time. Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations for an out of state move?

P.S.- I have been to movingscam.com so I do know what to look out for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 05:18 PM

90 posts, read 219,297 times
We used Excel Moving and Storage/ Allied Van lines (Raleigh, NC office) when we moved from Cary to DC area last summer.

They were very professional, prompt, and courteous. The price was very good, too. They came out and gave us a guaranteed maximum cost. We knew all charges up front. No surprises.

I will caution that the actual moving day loading time took longer than they told us to expect, by about 3 hours.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:03 PM

22,618 posts, read 36,540,947 times
I recommend going with the local affiliate of a nationally known mover.

When we moved here from Long Island we used Allied, and could not have had a better experience.

An in home estimate does not take very long - if one of you can get down here and have a few movers come out and give an estimate, that is the way to go. I got 3 estimates when we moved.

Be aware that a mover cannot charge you more than a certain amount of the estimate (and they will detail everything in every room so avoid themselves getting scammed) - I think it's 10% - every mover we interviewed gave us a "Bill of Rights" with all the info in it.

One of the reasons we went with Allied was because they included things in the estimate like boxed for our mattresses - things that we NEEDED, and had to pay extra for, but they didn't show up the day of the move and say "hey you should really put those mattresses in boxes so the springs don't pop" - they just included it.

BTW - our move was $300 LESS than we were quoted. That's a good thing.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:12 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,677,558 times
I recently used ABF and they were FANTASTIC! Super friendly, helpful and professional. I will be using them again!

Old 03-15-2011, 04:48 AM

39 posts, read 129,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces07 View Post
We used Excel Moving and Storage/ Allied Van lines (Raleigh, NC office) when we moved from Cary to DC area last summer.

They were very professional, prompt, and courteous. The price was very good, too. They came out and gave us a guaranteed maximum cost. We knew all charges up front. No surprises.

I will caution that the actual moving day loading time took longer than they told us to expect, by about 3 hours.

I can recommend Excel Moving and Storage, too. We used them for our oversea move back to Germany. And they were excellent. They did a fab job in packing and not even one thing was broken when we unpacked our goods. They also were really reliable and I always had a contact person who kept me updated.

I also know of 2 other friends that used them for moving back and they also were really satisfied with Excel´s service. They even did a great job packing and shipping our friends antique car, which was qiet the job- cause our friend was really picky with it

Old 03-15-2011, 08:03 AM

520 posts, read 1,013,074 times
We used United Van Lines & had a good experience w/our move from MA to NC.

Are you staying w/your same employer? If so see if they have relocation services. Even though the company wasn't paying for our move, we were able to contract through my employer. Got us a small discount on the price & we had the weight of a large corporate contract behind us.

I would also recommend getting 2 or 3 estimates. I know it is time consuming to meet w/multiple people but it will give you a good idea what to expect & if someone gives you a crazy price you'll know it based on the other 2 quotes.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:05 PM

142 posts, read 519,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimaCheryl View Post
We used United Van Lines & had a good experience w/our move from MA to NC.

Are you staying w/your same employer? If so see if they have relocation services. Even though the company wasn't paying for our move, we were able to contract through my employer. Got us a small discount on the price & we had the weight of a large corporate contract behind us.

I would also recommend getting 2 or 3 estimates. I know it is time consuming to meet w/multiple people but it will give you a good idea what to expect & if someone gives you a crazy price you'll know it based on the other 2 quotes.
we're going to be moving this summer from MA. Do you mind if I ask how much your moving company cost you? This is one area we haven't researched yet...

Old 03-15-2011, 03:02 PM

81 posts, read 172,879 times
5 years ago when we moved there was a great site called movingscam.com-almost read the whole entire site back then-click on "The Super List"

Old 03-16-2011, 08:43 AM

249 posts, read 689,678 times
Thanks for the advice everyone. Ill give a couple of those companies a call. I'm thinking I might see if a friend might be willing to meet with the moving companies so they can do an on site estimate. I just hate the idea of having to drive 5 hours each way for only that. But I do think its worth it to have someone come out and give an estimate.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:24 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,092,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanvald View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone. Ill give a couple of those companies a call. I'm thinking I might see if a friend might be willing to meet with the moving companies so they can do an on site estimate. I just hate the idea of having to drive 5 hours each way for only that. But I do think its worth it to have someone come out and give an estimate.
Just be sure you get a BINDING estimate. Anything else could just as well be printed on Charmin.

Yes.movers must delever if final cost is more than 10% over a non-binding estimate if you pay 10% over estimate.

Catch is YOU OWE THE REST and can be sent to collection or sued for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary