Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2011, 07:08 PM

584 posts, read 2,423,769 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if there are any photos of the I-40/Wade sound wall construction online? I looked, but can't find anything....

Don't live in Cary anymore and wanted to see what progress was like on the wall - used to live close to there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 07:46 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
Have you tried Google Streetview?

Old 03-14-2011, 07:57 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawburg View Post
Does anyone know if there are any photos of the I-40/Wade sound wall construction online? I looked, but can't find anything....

Don't live in Cary anymore and wanted to see what progress was like on the wall - used to live close to there.
It's not particularly exciting.

I live right down the street. If you don't see anything online, PM me. I'll go snap a couple for you tomorrow.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:51 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Have you tried Google Streetview?
Not sure about that area, but the google street view for Holly Springs is about 3 years old.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:27 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,261,994 times
I haven't been there. Does that sound wall have designs like the one around 440? I loved looking for patterns when I was younger.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:29 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawburg View Post

Are you referring to the sound walls being built on the portion of I-40 from the Wade Ave split east to US-1?

Those walls are currently being built and are just plain gray concrete pre-fab slabs. They are not along the entire length of the road from the split to US-1. They are only being built where there is a residential area that comes close to the road.

Also, they are not uniform. They vary in height, and seem to have been designed to be very precise in their function, like someone with a noise meter stood in each person's yard and calculated the exact height that the wall needed to be to get the noise level below some threshold.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:01 PM

397 posts, read 805,563 times
I think those are right behind the brandywine subdivision.

Just the gray slab as others have said. I'm sure it will help some

Old 03-16-2011, 05:27 AM

4,280 posts, read 5,938,202 times
The bad news is that expressway sound walls only work for the residents whose property abuts the freeway. The walls do not absorb the sound energy, they only block the direct sound into the closest yards by reflecting it upwards. The redirected sound waves then repropogate and descend into the yards of those living a block or two further away from the freeway.

Those living next to the expressway have less noise, but an unobstructed view of an ugly gray wall.

Those living further from the expressway don't suffer the visual blight of the wall, but now have considerably more noise in their yards.

Sort of a Lose-Lose if you ask me.

The best solution is "Don't buy residential property next to an expressway."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary