Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 09:44 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times

Advertisements

Dear God remind me to sell my house well before the roof needs to be done. I can't do my house by myself, it's took peaky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 09:52 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,367 times
[quote=timd2010;18333241]ballpark roof replacement costs? [quote]

I'm not sure, but when they looked at replacing the roof on the astrodome, they found it was just cheaper to build tropicana field.

(Sorry, I know that was a useless response. It just struck me funny, as that was how I read your subject line. Looks like you got your info. Good luck.)

Old 03-21-2011, 12:25 PM

843 posts, read 2,100,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
I'm having my roof replaced in two weeks. 2200 sq/ft house with a 7/12 pitch (requires harnesses). 37 squares. Figure $250/sq for materials and labor including removal of existing roof. Get as many quotes as possible and choose the roofer and not the price. The quality of the install means more than the price of the materials.

[edit] be sure to account for approval by your HOA if you are part of a HOA.
ALL roof work requires harnesses. Period.

I know. I was fined $2000 by OSHA when an inspector who drove down the wrong street witnessed me painting a chimney. It was a one story house with a very walkable pitch. My helper was fined $500 for not wearing a hardhat while painting the railing on front porch. The reason was I was on roof... so he needed hardhat. The inspector filmed us before approching us and giving out tickets. Luckily the fine was reduced to 10% since we took a saftey course. But still a $250 fine.

He also cut up my extention cord cause the ground was broken off. It was a 25' cord playing a radio.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:51 AM

24 posts, read 74,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvNC View Post
make sure you factor in any sheet of plywood that have delaminated due to the heat/moisture. We had ours done for 5k or so and then add in 10 full sheets of plywood at $50 a sheet or so. that jacked the price up a bit. and yes - they had delaminated! I checked them. kind of wish I had taken the quote that had it factored in...but then would they have just ignored the bad plywood??? hmmm...
Where are you paying $50 a sheet???

Home depot has plywood for about $7 a sheet.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post

I know. I was fined $2000 by OSHA when an inspector who drove down the wrong street witnessed me painting a chimney. It was a one story house with a very walkable pitch. My helper was fined $500 for not wearing a hardhat while painting the railing on front porch. The reason was I was on roof... so he needed hardhat. The inspector filmed us before approching us and giving out tickets. Luckily the fine was reduced to 10% since we took a saftey course. But still a $250 fine.

He also cut up my extention cord cause the ground was broken off. It was a 25' cord playing a radio.
Wow, why did you even let him on your property? And he had the balls to destroy your cord? No way that would happen at my house. I just had 12 guys on my roof with no safety gear, no one said a word. Where do you live?

Old 04-22-2011, 12:13 PM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWillPrevail View Post
Where are you paying $50 a sheet???

Home depot has plywood for about $7 a sheet.
Does that include rooftop delivery, sales tax, labor to tear out and dispose of the old sheet and install the new sheet?
I have a hunch that the $50/sheet price includes all that.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:47 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post

Were you painting your own chimney or hired to paint someone else's? Sounds like the OSHA guy had some quotas to meet. Cutting the extension cord strikes me as outside of his scope of responsibility and would have thoroughly aggravated me.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Does that include rooftop delivery, sales tax, labor to tear out and dispose of the old sheet and install the new sheet?
I have a hunch that the $50/sheet price includes all that.
No, but why would you sign up for all that? Plywood fits in a truck, and the old can be burned. It isn't hard to get plywood on a roof. A piece is 8 ft. long, the guy on the bottom is holding the bottom, so the guy on the top will be able to reach it.

What is your scenario as to why you can't do this? Are you older? Not carpentry inclined? Rich, so you don't mind paying the money?

I am sure glad I can do that my self, as I am saving $43 for every sheet. For that amount of money, it would be worth figuring it out for your self, roofing ISN'T hard.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:20 AM

677 posts, read 1,903,348 times
Of course you can save money by doing ANYTHING yourself, but most people just can't do that, for the reasons mentioned and others. And, just me, but I'd rather hire a professional who can do it right and who is concerned about safety...I'd sure hate to see someone splattered in my yard.

If you can wait a few months to roof, you might be wise to do so (or you might HAVE to do so), although I do understand it's better to do it in warm months so the shingles can seal properly. Seems that roofers will be awfully busy for a while due to recent storms.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:39 PM

475 posts, read 1,304,832 times
We had our roof replaced, some wood replaced, some details added to the roof, and a few others things done about 3 years ago. The total cost was just under $3k. We live in a 1200sqft one story ranch. We used Hillard Roofing as they also did another house on my street a few weeks earlier and they did a great job.

I liked them because they came in did the job and were gone before we got home from work that day. They left ZERO trash, the only way you knew they had been there was because there was a brand new roof on the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary