Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 04:15 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,522 times

Advertisements

I live in Wake Forest and have a friend coming into town the first part of April.

I would like your Top 5 things you like to do or places to go (locally) We are outdoorsy so I know about Umstead, riding bikes on Greenways, Farmers Market, local parks, etc. but just wanted to get some of your suggestions and get outside my box.

We're willing to drive up to an hour max in any direction.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 04:33 PM

61 posts, read 121,701 times
Good question. I'm pretty new to the area and my 25 year old son will be visiting (he lives in London so it will be a hard act to follow.)
The art museum and grounds are nice.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:41 PM

699 posts, read 1,706,578 times
Duke Gardens. Museum of Life and Sciences. (Love the butterfly house and the dinosaur trail.) I've heard that the Natural Science Center of Greensboro is worthwhile. (Bodies Revealed exhibit just closed. Darn the luck. It looked outstanding.)

Old 03-18-2011, 07:01 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,028,711 times
Not in any particular order... the JC Raulston Arboretum, the N. Wake landfill park in N. Raleigh (haven't yet been but the idea intrigues me!), a Hurricanes game (hate sports.... LOVE the Canes!), a walk through and lunch in one of the downtowns, and the NC Zoo.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:08 PM

814 posts, read 2,007,444 times
NC Art Museum for a hike around the park, lunch, then a tour of the galleries

Sit out on a beautiful afternoon and have a beer at Boylan Brewpub and look at the view.

Go to First FRiday in Raleigh and Third Friday in Durham

See a play at one of the local theaters, such as Burning Coal, Playmakers, Deep Dish, Raleigh Ensemble Players.

Hike Hemlock Bluffs

There are tons more, but I am tooooooo tired.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:28 AM

487 posts, read 891,190 times
Carnivore Preservation Trust! Amazing.

(I grew up in London.)

Old 03-19-2011, 10:34 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
This may sound unusual, but my out-of-town guests have really enjoyed The Scrap Exchange in Durham. There's just so much fascinating stuff! And there's original art for sale, too.

The gardens at Duke are starting to get rather pretty. Should be lovely during early April.

If your guests are visiting April 16th & 17th, you could visit some of the farms on the Piedmont Farm Tour. Piedmont Farm Tour – America’s Largest Farm Tour | CarolinaEpicurean

Food is always necessary, so be sure to take them to your favorite locally-owned spots. Here are some that my guests have enjoyed. Note that I live in Durham, so most of my choices favor the western side of the Triangle.
- Hayes Barton Café and Dessertery (My friends and family adore the ambiance of this place)
- Guglhuph or Foster's (Nice outdoor seating. Great places to grab a bite before or after visiting Duke Gardens)
- Locopops! (Need I say more?)
- Maple View Farms (front porch + rocking chairs + ice cream = smiles all around)
- Cafe Driade (A bit of a trek for you, but a nice place to rest for a while if you're in Chapel Hill. Sit out back and enjoy the trees.)
- A Southern Season (Two words: free samples! Everyone I know loves this store and can't walk out without buying something)
- Allen & Son's BBQ (Your favorite Carolina-style BBQ restaurant will do, but I love this place best)
- S&T Soda Shoppe in Pittsboro (Quaint, charming, with lots of old fashioned treats. Can you tell I love ice cream?)

My final tip is this: There is no need to fill every moment with activities. I have found that most of our out-of-town guests really just want to relax and spend time with me and my husband. Remember that they're not here to see North Carolina - they're here to see YOU! Make time for some lazy afternoons. Watch a movie. Spend an evening or two at home playing cards. Moments like these may be your guests' favorite part of the whole trip.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:36 AM

540 posts, read 1,106,137 times
My dad enjoys going to a Durham Bulls game when he visits...so if your guest likes baseball that is an option too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary