Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 06:06 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,960,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Ummm, No. NC State doesn't have nursing or PT to name a few and UNC doesn't have engineering to name one. While they are both good schools that do no have the same opportunities.
Admission to the UNC nursing program does not occur until completion your sophomore year, and I believe it is competitive (just as much chance getting in from NC State as from UNC).

PT school is a graduate program.

You are correct that UNC doesn't offer engineering. But if the niece in question was interested in engineering, she would not have applied to UNC.

So, ummm, I stand by my statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 06:19 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
Admission to the UNC nursing program does not occur until completion your sophomore year, and I believe it is competitive (just as much chance getting in from NC State as from UNC).

PT school is a graduate program.

You are correct that UNC doesn't offer engineering. But if the niece in question was interested in engineering, she would not have applied to UNC.

So, ummm, I stand by my statement.
PT use to be undergraduate... in the stone age. So I stand corrected on that one.

I'm sorry if I sounded snarky.. did not mean to. My point is that the schools offer very different programs and yes, freshmen year there are certain things required that you just have to get out of the way (unless you have completed dual enrollment or placed out with your AP classes in high school).
But it's a pain in the keester to transfer. I'm not convinced that UNC & State offer the same academic offerings for freshmen... that you can get the same classes needed freshmen year for all majors at the opposite school.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:42 PM

38 posts, read 123,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans&Cornbread View Post
Perhaps the main thing here is for your niece to thoughtfully explain (or put in a new light, if she had already emphasized this in her original application) why Carolina - and Carolina specifically

Another thing that popped into my mind - and I'm not sure if this is allowed - would be to gather a few prominent and objective (no relatives, best friends, etc) folks that are knowledgeable about her passions, interests, or goals to submit letters of recommendation. Perhaps they are Carolina alum and can provide specific reasons for why Carolina makes the most sense for your niece - and why Carolina would benefit from having her!
The UNC application does contain an optional "why unc" essay. While optional, anyone who really wants to get in would better write one, unless the applicant's profile is so outstanding that she/he is seen as an automatic admission.

As for LOR, most top schools require two, but unc only requires one --perhaps they don't put too much stock in them? Usually, admission offices don't encourage more LORs than they require (they actually frown upon the practice because it may ignite an arms race among applicants and also increase the admissions officers' workload), unless each additional letter has significant and unique things to say about the student that were not already reflected in the application. Also, if the student is denied, rather than waitlisted, there is almost no chance to change the decision.

I agree that NCSU is just as good for a motivated student, and transfer (and graduate school) is always an option.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:45 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,179,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
I'll toss one last comment onto this pile.

Congratulations to your niece on her acceptance to NC State. It's an outstanding school, and every opportunity that would exist for your niece at UNC exists for her at NC State. Both offer enriching environments for learning and for her future, if she chooses to take advantage of them. While I get she has her heart set on UNC, in the long run where she goes to school really doesn't matter, its whether she takes advantage of the opportunities offered by the the school she does go to.

Good luck to her!
TOTALLY agree with this. I would amend this to say the same opportunities that exist at UNC exist at another school. Even if it's nursing or PT, there are plenty of schools in this state with these programs. My mom always said, "It's not the school...it's YOU". Best of luck to your niece.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:36 PM

519 posts, read 981,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggles23 View Post
Hi all,

My niece was turned down for UNC Chapel Hill (and it was my alma mater). I am really shocked that she was turned down. She is a strong athlete, plays numerous sports, acts in school plays, has great grades, great GPA and solid SATs. Of course she is in National Honor Society and many other clubs. She has a job too. She is really the total package. She is certainly Carolina material. (And I was hoping she would be a legacy at my sorority, Sigma Sigma Sigma).

If anyone out there works in admissions at UNC-CH, can you give us some tips to use on her appeal letter?

Thanks,
Wendy
UNC Chapel Hill, 1990
I didn't know that rejected applicants could appeal the decision of a college. That's interesting.

My advice is this: what makes your niece stand out from all the other applicants that want to go to school at UNC-CH? Imagine how many applicants have the same characteristics that your niece has. What makes her special? This is also an important question to answer as she rushes the sororities on any campus. (My wife is an advisor for one of the sororities at Carolina. I have heard many stories on recruits and the processes to become sisters.)

Old 03-24-2011, 06:58 PM

260 posts, read 545,291 times
On the UNC admissions site, there is an explanation of the appeals process. It states: "Appeals concerning individual admission, or admission rescission, decisions may be had only if it is contended that a) a provision set forth in the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill admissions policy (“admissions policyâ€) has been violated or b) the decision not to admit the individual or to rescind admission resulted from a material procedural error in the admissions process." It is the same description for the admissions counselor, provost, and board of trustees. Does it appear that they violated policy by rejecting her?

My son was also rejected by UNC Chapel Hill. He was accepted to Drexel (in Phillie) and quite a few other very good schools. We are viewing at their loss and going on. If at some future point he decides that he really wants to go there, he will reapply as a transfer student.

We'll cross this bridge again in 3 years with my daughter. It really IS the school that she wants because of the program. We'll see, but we plan to have a back-up, though.

Sorry to hear of your disappointment.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:13 PM

455 posts, read 1,117,886 times
UNC has been slipping in rank since the 80's due to lack of state support (politically), cap on out-of-state students, etc. I remember they used to be ranked in the top 15 or so, but clearly loosing ground against other top/flagship public schools like Michigan, Virginia, UCLA.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:39 PM

38 posts, read 123,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmboyinNC View Post
UNC has been slipping in rank since the 80's due to lack of state support (politically), cap on out-of-state students, etc. I remember they used to be ranked in the top 15 or so, but clearly loosing ground against other top/flagship public schools like Michigan, Virginia, UCLA.
All the public universities have been slipping in rank for awhile now, not just unc, I think.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:49 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmboyinNC View Post
The cap of out-of-state students was actually RAISED in the past (relatively) few years; it used to be 15% and is now 18%. It makes sense that a state, publically-funded university give precedence to residents of that state (who are much more likely to remain in the state later and add to the economy). I still hear UNC-Chapel Hill mentioned among that list of state universities. Where have you seen otherwise?

Edit: U.S. News & World Report's National University Ranking has UNC-CH as the 4th-highest-ranked public university, almost directly behind UCLA, UVa, and Michigan (and just above William & Mary). All are within rankings #25-#30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsham
All the public universities have been slipping in rank for awhile now, not just unc, I think.
Pharmboy is talking about JUST public universities and their relative rank.

Last edited by Francois; 03-24-2011 at 11:59 PM..

Old 03-25-2011, 05:55 AM

645 posts, read 988,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Edit: U.S. News & World Report's National University Ranking has UNC-CH as the 4th-highest-ranked public university, almost directly behind UCLA, UVa, and Michigan (and just above William & Mary). All are within rankings #25-#30.
Minor correction - UNC is 5th, UC Berkeley is top ranked public university.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary