Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 11:39 PM

19 posts, read 49,095 times

Advertisements

We are coming down next week. We are interested in seeing some sites in Raleigh. We've found all the stores and restaurants that are up here down there already online or by this board We will be looking at houses, but I want to drive around town when I get tired of looking at houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 11:50 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
A lot of greenery in a lot of places to be seen just about everywhere. It's nice. Hope it's still there when I visit again.

The new additions to the skyline should also give Raleigh more of a "city" feel. BB&T Tower won't stick out so much anymore.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:54 AM

445 posts, read 1,858,780 times
The Farmers Market, the Governor's Mansion/City Market, Umstead Park, Museum of Natural History.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:54 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,112 times
There are a couple of musuems in downtown Raleigh, we also have an art musuem on Blue Ridge road near the fairgrounds. On Saturday & Sunday, the flea market takes place at the fairgrounds.

I heard the WRAL Rose garden was really nice, I personally have never been though. We have two major malls (Triangle Town Center & Crabtree), a really nice outdoor shopping area (North Hills) and just a numerous amount of places around downtown Raleigh.

Do you have kids? Anything in particular you want to see?

Old 07-27-2007, 06:26 AM

180 posts, read 662,355 times
Definitely go to the Farmer's market! The Triangle Town Center is always interesting.. I would head over to the Duke Gardens and Chapel Hill (Franklin Street). You should get some good ole' fashion Southern BBQ and stay away from all the chain restaurants! Enjoy your trip, it should be a beautiful weekend!!!!

Old 07-27-2007, 08:29 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
I'd spend some time in downtown Raleigh. You might want to check out one of the museums next to the Capitol building. Then walk around the Capitol building down Fayetteville Street past the Hudson building where WTVD (ABC) is located). Then turn left and go 2 blocks and turn left again to come back by walking past Moore Square/City Market area. In the evening, you may want to check out Glenwood South area.

I'd head out to the Art Museum and make sure you wander the trails.

Check out Five Points in Raleigh (on Glenwood away from downtown). Have a Pizza outside at Lilly's Pizza. Or a coffee at the Third Place. Stop in an antique store.

From there head down Fairview then left on Oberlin to Cameron village and check out one of the more interesting shopping areas.

Check out one or more of the local parks. Umstead has the best hiking in the area, IMO, but not the best place to go in the heat. If it happens to be early morning or a mild day, though, give it a shot. I vastly prefer the Cary(Reedy Creek) side, which you reach off the Harrison exit on I-40. Take the Company Mill trail down to the creek.

If it is hot though, I'd go to one (or even all) of the following lake parks):

-Lake Crabtree which is off Aviation Parkway exit on I-40.
-Lake Johnson, which is somewhat near NC State off Avent Ferry Rd.
- Shelley Lake off Millbrook in North Raleigh.

Check out all three universities in the area if you like (although they won't start kicking for a few weeks). At NC State check out Centennial Campus as well as the older campus. Lots of companies with buildings there as well as the University. I worked there for awhile and it was really cool to have the mix of high tech workers and students.

See if the Durham Bulls are in town in Durham and head over and check out the area near the stadium. Also check out Ninth Street in Durham.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:36 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,112 times
Oh, I think Fodor's or Rick Stevens has a book on Raleigh. I know I've seen one or two at Barnes & Nobles.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:06 AM

Thanks everyone. I am looking forward to my trip down there next week. I do plan to sample the food down there. I love Museums and really hope to get to one or two while I'm down there.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:13 AM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
There are a couple of musuems in downtown Raleigh, we also have an art musuem on Blue Ridge road near the fairgrounds. On Saturday & Sunday, the flea market takes place at the fairgrounds.

I heard the WRAL Rose garden was really nice, I personally have never been though. We have two major malls (Triangle Town Center & Crabtree), a really nice outdoor shopping area (North Hills) and just a numerous amount of places around downtown Raleigh.

Do you have kids? Anything in particular you want to see?
No children are coming with us. I want to see the farmer's market, I've never seen one.

I'm looking forward to my visit.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:29 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
No matter what you see, you will eat well along the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary