U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2013, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,194 times

Advertisements

I think the main reason for the reinspection is the price. I'm not sure where the cutoff is, but our house (even though we paid exponentially less) is required to be insured for over $800k and we have received the letter from USAA and a call from the contracted inspection company for an interior and exterior inspection. They state our rates may or may not go up after said inspection. I'm just wondering if they will go down because of the huge disparity between purchase price and insured "replacement" cost.
Anyways, my point about inspection being related to replacement cost is because I also have another house valued below 200k that I have had for 6 years and they have only sent me a self re-evaluation for square footage and any other contributing factors to insurability....no inspection.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 10:56 PM

307 posts, read 523,006 times
Default huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammester View Post
I don't think this is legit. I would call USAA and let them know, that way they can let all of their policy holders know if this is a scam or not.

we rent our home in Wake Forest now and just had this happen to us too. our renters called me and I had them turn the idiot away. then a got a call from my insurance agent... any area prone to large breed dog reports are being inspected... and NC is in the field. they are looking for rottweilers, Pitt bulls and dobermans and australian and or german shepards... if you have one of these breads you liability coverage goes up and so does your premium. lots of dog bite suits from these breeds.
also they told me if you have a pit bull, some companies are dropping your liability all together.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:01 AM

728 posts, read 1,435,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPnerd View Post
we rent our home in Wake Forest now and just had this happen to us too. our renters called me and I had them turn the idiot away. then a got a call from my insurance agent... any area prone to large breed dog reports are being inspected... and NC is in the field. they are looking for rottweilers, Pitt bulls and dobermans and australian and or german shepards... if you have one of these breads you liability coverage goes up and so does your premium. lots of dog bite suits from these breeds.
also they told me if you have a pit bull, some companies are dropping your liability all together.
I have USAA, have a German Shepherd, and have no special liability issues with them. When I ask about it, I get the normal "no bites, no issues."

I've never been re-inspected, but neither have I ever done any major improvements as of recent. That starts this year ..

Old 09-27-2013, 07:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,807 times
Just a question. Why would somebody with "dwelling fire" coverage need to be inspected? We never have before and I'd really like to defer this until I can get a few things fixed- that I can't get fixed now because of time/money constraints.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:54 AM

29 posts, read 48,555 times
I do insurance loss and insurance prevention inspections for a living. The majority of houses that I do are rental properties, either SFH or multi units which are not owner occupied. I generally only do inspections on owner occupied homes if the properties are high value homes.

99% of the inspections are call ahead for an appointment, the exception being for some exterior inspections. Some of the properties I inspect are done every 3 years, while others are only done when new policies are obtained.

When I'm sent paperwork to do the inspections generally my first call is to the homeowner. I'm supplied with minimal information about the property, generally I am given the insurance agent whom the homeowner went through to get insurance and the underwriter for the policy. I also get a quick blurb such as "SFH with 2 woodstoves" or "3 unit rental". Outside of that we don't get much information to go on, which can make the job hard...I always tell people that are uneasy about my call to contact their agent as their agent should know more about what is going on.

I don't do inspections for USAA, there are generally 4 or 5 underwriters that order the inspections that I do, but I assume a lot of the stuff is the same.

As for the "dwelling fire" coverage, I get these types of inspections a lot. Generally this type of inspection is a quick in and out...the main things that I focus on are the smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, safe clearance from heating devices, electrical panel cover, no frayed wiring and the presence of fire extinguishers. Anything else I see or don't see is of no concern, ad I'm there for the fire liability portion.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:24 PM
LLN

5,185 posts, read 9,405,003 times
USAA Is the worlds best insurances company. Have had them for car insurance forever.

They have, however huge exposure in North Carolina due to large military installations, with lots of members on the coast. That could be driving their diligence.

Separate thought. My next door neighbor just had an inspection from Farm Bureau. Our homes are 101 years old. The inspector had a lot of issues, particularly the huge pecan trees in our yards. He told her tat "everybody" was gonna be inspected.

It sounds like biz is getting much more aggressive on risk mgt. I expect a call at any time!

Old 09-27-2013, 04:58 PM

3,425 posts, read 2,314,135 times
My house was inspected a few years back. I had the same insurance company for nearly 20 years. The agent came up to the front door even with the "Beware of Dog" sign in the drive (not a good thing to do). He never came in just wandered around the exterior. Generated a report back to his company about pine straw on the roof of my shed that is nowhere near the house and also the fact that I had a non-functional car in the drive that was a potential safety issue. (car was in the process of restoration and worth as much as some houses). The company required me to send them pictures showing that I had removed the pine straw and moved the car. Strangely enough they said nothing about the dog that was close to eating the agent!

Old 03-08-2017, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 1,340 times
I had a pipe burst in my commercial bldg two yeras ago, now I am seeing mold on everything. I filed an insurnace claim. They denied it saying my bldg has been neglected and has termites, which is letting in moisture and that the exterior siding is what is letting in moisture not from my pipes. My queston is this, why did they not inspect my building before the insured it. I am having to throw everything out, because they did not inspect my property before they insured me. THey take my money for the premium but are denying my claim saying termites and moisture from the siding is causing my mold. I never had mold and i have been there 8 years, now i am seeing mold for the first time, what the hell do I do?

Old 03-08-2017, 05:16 PM

2 posts, read 1,340 times
they sent out two egg heads to look at my building who of course said the mold did not come from the busted pipe 2 years ago, 25,0000 gallons of water went through my building, they looked for any excuse they could find, and they blamed it on my old building which is probably 100 years old, and termites. Why did they not come out and inspect my building before they wrote the policy. I file a claim and they are using my building as an excuse not to pay my claim. They take my money but deny my claiim. I need advice an attorney or someone on my side
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary