U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 08:50 PM

36,503 posts, read 47,718,365 times

Advertisements

Today had a call from USAA rep saying they had to reinspect our house to make sure we had enough insurance on it. House is only 3 years old and I certainly was not happy about letting some stranger go room to room and take pictures and I said so. Finally I told him to send me his card and I would get in touch with him when it was convenient. Then he said he had a place on his form for me to make a comment and I said "Well in 40 years of homeownership I have never had anybody want to reinspect a house after only 3 years and it is a big inconvenience and I don't like it" Then and only then did he said "Well you can refuse to do it if you want" Which of course I did.

Is this usually done in N.C.? Anybody ever have this experience before?
Could this call not been legit? He did tell me to go to USAA website and look under "home inspection". I'm worried and confused.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 09:03 PM

502 posts, read 1,160,025 times
Sounds suspect to me. At worst they want to "case your house." Could this guy be offering a new quote on your current policy (regardless of current insurer) and just has a terrible sales pitch?

If anything, haven't most of our home values gone down not up?

I imagine that a request such as this would be made by either your home insurer or your lender and you would be notified in a letter.

Could you contact your insurer or lender tomorrow?

Weird, but maybe this is a "new standard?"

Last edited by NCInMyMind; 03-22-2011 at 09:15 PM..

Old 03-22-2011, 11:59 PM

2,628 posts, read 2,736,693 times
We also have USAA for insurance and about 3 years after living in our brand new home, they sent us paperwork to fill out to re-address whether we had enough insurance (was also available online). There was never any talk about a physical inspection though. I'd call back USAA and ask what's going on - that would get to the bottom of it quickly.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:18 AM

20,028 posts, read 29,870,995 times
That is strange. I am a licensed NY insurance broker so I am not that familiar with NC HO policies, but you insure the VALUE OF THE HOUSE and the contents coverage is based on that. Usually the contents coverage is a percentage of the value of the house. THe fact that this guy wanted to come in and see what you have in your house definitely strikes me as strange. I would have asked them to send me a copy of your HO policy and hi lite where it states that this is allowed.

I worked for a State Farm agent for awhile and we did get people who would purposely under-insure their homes....and we would make them sign a waiver stating that they asked to be underinsured, so when their house burned down they could not come back and complain that they weren't getting everything replaced. But this is definitely a new one on me. I can't believe they have employees that they can devote the time to do this, frankly.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:58 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,274,375 times
We have nationwide here in NC and the 'contents' is something that comes from the 'value' of the house. You might want to take pictures of the contents and put in safe deposit box so you can 'prove' the contents of your house.

I have had neighbors have the outside property inspected -- usually they are looking for trampoline, pool, etc that you might not have declared or forgotten to mention that you got. But I haven't heard any reports of anyone wanting to be inside a home for any reason.

I'd call USAA.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:28 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,241,774 times
weve owned 2 homes and have never heard of that...

Old 03-23-2011, 09:21 AM

373 posts, read 1,094,314 times
I don't think this is legit. I would call USAA and let them know, that way they can let all of their policy holders know if this is a scam or not.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:29 AM

1,662 posts, read 2,181,479 times
We have USAA and have never received a request to do a physical inspection. They do, from time to time, ask you to review your coverage...but this is either over the phone or via USAA documents.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:29 AM

804 posts, read 1,871,250 times
i would contact USAA immediately, as well. if you have a local USAA agent, i'd speak with them first & ask what the deal is, have them explain the requirement, & ask them to direct you to anything within your policy supporting this requirement.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:31 AM

12,375 posts, read 29,732,467 times
I've never heard of this either. Definitely call USAA so that they can be made aware of this and if it is legit, please let us know.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary