Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 03:13 PM

53 posts, read 121,009 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to move with my family from Rhode Island to the Raleigh area (Chapel Hill to be more precise). I've been sea kayaking for two years and have a 17' Wilderness Systems Tempest 170. As I'm not familiar with the available kayaking opportunities in the immediate Raleigh area and the ocean will no longer be conveniently located, do you think I should sell the Tempest prior to moving down and then pick up a smaller *** once I'm down there?

I know I can always travel to the coast but this would probably not happen on a regular basis - I currently like the spontaneity of being able to put my boat in the ocean any time I want as the ocean is less than five minutes from my home.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 03:45 PM

572 posts, read 1,603,688 times
The closest beach is gonna be a little over 2 hours away and even when you get there you probably won't need an ocean kayak as NC has an expansive intracoastal waterway system and it's a lot more fun to paddle around in that than in the ocean. I assume you'd want to use it locally for the river or lake so whatever size kayak is good for that would probably suit your needs on the waterway. I don't know anything about kayaks but most of the ones I've seen around Wrightsville beach look a lot smaller than 17 feet.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:56 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,287,854 times
According to this site, there are a lot of places to kayak in NC. Many of them are close by. However, I'm not familiar with the type of kayak you have, so don't know if it would be suitable for those places.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:54 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,372,901 times
I don't know anything about kayaking - just a friendly hello from a fellow Rhode Islander. We moved here 3 years ago and love it. Hope you enjoy it here as much as we do!

Old 03-24-2011, 05:05 PM

Thanks for the tips. I am familiar with paddling.net but as I'm unfamiliar with the Raleigh area, searching all those locations to find a place near is time consuming! I may just wait to get down there and get involved with locals who paddle.

ljd1010 - Thanks. Can't wait to get out of this state although the summers have been great. Just listed the house and hoping it sells quickly although the market is not in our favor. Know anyone looking for a large 4 bedroom in North Kingstown!!!!?

Old 03-24-2011, 06:28 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,942,445 times
Personally, there is no way I'd get rid of it. There is a huge expanse of undeveloped barrier islands along our coast known as the Core Banks as well as a couple uninhabited ones closer by, such as Masonboro and Lea Islands near Wrightsville Beach, and your kayak is ideal for doing camping trips. There are a couple of large nearby reservoirs (falls and jordan lakes) that you can use the boat on regularly, and you'll regret getting rid of it when you make trips to the coast.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:35 PM

I may just have to pick up another kayak and keep the Tempest. If I need to sell I'm sure I could do it down there.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:11 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,372,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimman View Post
Thanks for the tips. I am familiar with paddling.net but as I'm unfamiliar with the Raleigh area, searching all those locations to find a place near is time consuming! I may just wait to get down there and get involved with locals who paddle.

ljd1010 - Thanks. Can't wait to get out of this state although the summers have been great. Just listed the house and hoping it sells quickly although the market is not in our favor. Know anyone looking for a large 4 bedroom in North Kingstown!!!!?
Good luck with selling your home. We were lucky, sold 3 weeks after listing in 2/08, just before the bottom dropped out. We lived near Garden City in Cranston. I was born on the East Side, grew up in Warwick. Husband is from Newport. If you have any questions about this area, please feel free to DM me. What brings you to Chapel Hill?

You know how small RI is...6 degrees of separation everywhere. I'd be willing bet we can come up with a name we both know...if you're a native!

Old 03-24-2011, 09:03 PM

77 posts, read 205,108 times
I am a flat water kayaker in Raleigh. I'd say sell the sea kayak and get you a recreational one when you get here.
The Neuse River runs north and east of Raleigh and is convenient, with multiple canoe launches. It always has water because it is dam controlled, so even in the drought you can do some paddling. It's a long river with lots of paddling opportunity.
IN Raleigh is Crabtree Creek. It connects with the Neuse, and is generally ignored for paddling. But for a couple of days after a good rain, it is a good paddle from the Lassiter Mill dam all the way to the Neuse, about 10 miles.
There are other rivers in the immediate (30 miles radius) area, but usually don't have much water except after decent rains. Some have some rapids... we do up to level II in our 12 foot Pungo rec yaks with no problems. The Haw river is great fun... has rapids, beautiful scenery!
You will want to buy a book.... "Paddling Eastern North Carolina" by Paul Ferguson. It has detailed trip reports for almost every river and creek in the eastern half of the state!
Amazon.com: Paddling Eastern North Carolina (9780972026802): Paul G. Ferguson: Books
There are a couple of active paddling clubs, both based a bit south and east of here, but full of great paddlers... The Lumber River Canoe club and The Friends of the Sampson County Waterways. They have active Yahoo.com Group forums that you can join and get group paddle announcements, trip reports and such.
Raleigh is a bit "dry", but with a willingness to drive a bit, you have lots of river and lake paddling opportunities.
Lakes include Falls of the Neuse in north Raleigh, Jordan lake in Durham about 15 miles away and some others!

Old 03-25-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Good luck with selling your home. We were lucky, sold 3 weeks after listing in 2/08, just before the bottom dropped out. We lived near Garden City in Cranston. I was born on the East Side, grew up in Warwick. Husband is from Newport. If you have any questions about this area, please feel free to DM me. What brings you to Chapel Hill?

You know how small RI is...6 degrees of separation everywhere. I'd be willing bet we can come up with a name we both know...if you're a native!
We used to live on the East Side (Overhill Rd. off Hope). Loved it there but needed a larger house as we now have two kids. We've been in the Northeast forever and it's time for a change. We visited NC a while back and really liked it. It was between Charlotte and the Cary area and Cary won! My wife has been doing the most research and she wants to land in Chapel Hill. Planning to rent at first while we get a feel for the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary