Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 06:47 PM

323 posts, read 631,881 times

Advertisements

I've seen threads on Green Hope, but not much on Leesville High School. My wife and I love the area around Leesville, and will be relocating there this summer. How is Leesville High? Same rumors about drugs as Green "Dope" (as I've seen it be called on these threads)?

Yes, we partied when we were young, but there were certain schools in our area that were known to be "party" schools. So, sometimes the reputations are true. Maybe kids are feeling pressured there, so they are self-medicating?

Anyway, any thoughts or opinions would be great. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 07:43 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,851,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat456 View Post
I've seen threads on Green Hope, but not much on Leesville High School. My wife and I love the area around Leesville, and will be relocating there this summer. How is Leesville High? Same rumors about drugs as Green "Dope" (as I've seen it be called on these threads)?
And you'll see occasional references to Leesville as "Sleesville" - that nickname because of some rumors regarding drug use as well as a heightened level of sexual activity among students at the school. But I would not put a huge amount of stock into those rumors - I don't know that Leesville (or Green Hope) is any worse that other high schools - those kinds of issue exist to some degree everywhere. Leesville is overall a very good high school and draws from a population of relatively affluent families. It's test scores tend to be among the higher scores in Wake County.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:37 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,134,244 times
The Leesville Schools (Elem., Middle & High) are considered very desirable, as is the area around Leesville Road.

Vicki

Old 04-02-2011, 05:39 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,922,802 times
They have a great boys golf team!

Old 04-02-2011, 06:20 AM

Didn't see those comments about Leesville. We are focusing on Leesville because the areas of Cary I saw didn't really do anything for us. Its commercial center seemed surrounded by highways, not really the smaller, tree lined streets that we saw around Leesville. And some of the homes we looked at in Leesville claim you can walk to stores and to the school. This we would love! My aunt moved to Wake Forest from Long Island and said the kids up there seem obnoxious?? There was a rape that was covered up, etc... Anyway, we like the area closer to the city, where we can get to Durham and Chapel Hill, Cary if we need to, etc.. We are in a rural setting now, and don't like it one bit.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:01 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,851,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat456 View Post
My aunt moved to Wake Forest from Long Island and said the kids up there seem obnoxious?? There was a rape that was covered up, etc...
Just a friendly observation: If you're going to base your evaluation of areas on rumors and generalized characterizations of entire populations, you're going to convince yourself that nowhere is suitable (and offend a good number of people in the process).

Old 04-02-2011, 09:58 AM

The reason I'm asking, and the reason for boards like these, is to get peoples' opinions on those rumors. If you don't want to comment, or are offended, then ignore my post. Thanks anyway.

Last edited by hat456; 04-02-2011 at 10:39 AM..

Old 04-02-2011, 09:58 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,676,570 times
I'm moving soon also...and I have to say, Leesville really grabbed me on the leg for the same reasons, walkability, trees, good schools. I was sad to have to rule it out due to my own logistical challenges. It would probably be my first choice! I did not care for Cary either so I have found a compromise.

Re: Green Dope...draws a LOT of wealthy students...I don't know anything about Green HOpe specifically and this is in no way a judgement against that school. But in general, wealthy schools tend to have druggie reputations because those are the kids who can afford to buy. Or are cocky enough to brag about it.

Doesn't mean the reputation is backed by reality.

I also believe that people get carried away by a catchy nickname. I know of a town called Vestal. Have you heard the one about the Vestal Virgins? there are two of them. Har dee har har har. I'm fairly sure the girls there are not sluttier than girls anywhere else.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:08 AM

Thanks librarySue. We feel the same way about that area. Something there just makes me feel comfortable. It doesn't feel like sprawl, it feels like a neighborhood, if I'm explaining it right. Where I am, I have to drive everywhere because its soooo spread out, so the intimacy of the area caught our heart.

I know all schools have their issues. Our has drugs, heavy drugs with drug sniffing dogs checking lockers, and supposedly we're in a "nice, upscale" town. Parents just ignore it and become defensive. This is a big move so I'm trying to cover all angles.

Thanks for your thoughts. Hope you are happy where you are.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:15 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,134,244 times
If you haven't visited our area, it is helpful to get opinions, I agree. Sometimes opinions are just heresay, so keep that in mind. Opinions are more helpful if someone has the experience instead of just what they have heard.

North Raleigh (Leesville Road area) is desirable and pricey. Many of the new neighborhoods are in the $450,000 to $600,000 range. Less than that, will be older homes.

Wake Forest is a beautiful, desirable area. I don't know that the teenagers there are any more obnoxious than the teenagers anywhere. For the record, I have 4 kids, youngest is 17 and I live in North Raleigh. The definition of teenager IS obnoxious!

Even though, in your mind, you have decided where you want to live, it may very well change once you get here. I see it all the time. I have clients that are "in love" with Cary and then see Wake Forest and love it. That is just an example. Cary is wonderful, as well.

As for the walking to school, there are some n'hoods close to Leesville High School BUT if my kids had to cross Leesville Road, I'd rather drive them to school. It is a rather busy road.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary