Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 12:47 PM

69 posts, read 163,667 times

Advertisements

The neighbor behind us planted Leyland Cypress trees directly on our property line, some slightly over the line on our side. We're not the kind of people who care overly much about lines in general, but our back yard is rather small as it is. Knowing that Leyland Cypress can get up to 50' tall and 10' across, we're a little put out about this.

First of all, the trees will eventually encroach into our yard, and second, they're eventually going to form a literal wall that will block out all the sun to our back yard and the back of our house. (The yard behind the house is only about 30 feet deep...most of our yard space is on the front and sides of the house.)

We do have a Homeowner's Association, but have yet to call them because there's nothing specific about plantings in the guidelines. My husband went over to talk to the man who planted them, but he was indisposed at the time. My husband gave his wife his cell number, explained the situation very courteously, and asked that she have her husband call him. It's been over a week. The trees are still there and no phone call.

(We live in Johnston County.)

Does anyone know if there are regulations about planting new trees on boundary lines? For instance, are they supposed to be inset a certain number of feet from the boundary line?

And do we have any recourse? We don't plan to stay in this house forever, but Leyland Cypress are fairly recognizable and are known for their privacy and size characteristics, so I'm worried that they may affect the sale of our house.

We do plan to involve the Homeowner's Association if our neighbor doesn't call us back. But if anyone has been through this or knows anything about it, I would appreciate your advice.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 02:03 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,673,430 times
personally, if my neighbors were that close to me, i would like that they planted them.

but if they are in fact on your land, pull them up. and kick them back over to the neighbors yard.

i wouldnt do that until you have a surveyor out to MARK where the line is, though.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:40 PM

502 posts, read 1,251,305 times
Confirm/survey your property "lines" and if you are correct, go through the appropriate channels to have them moved. Obviously talk to the neighbor first.

Our HOA requires that anyone who wants to make any sort of change must notify and receive approval from any neighbor(s) who might be affected. We had to do this when we landscaped the backyard. Does your HOA require this step?

When you go to sell or your neighbor goes to sell, problems may arise if the issue has not been resolved.

We previously had nightmare neighbors, so buying a home in an HOA community was important to us.

I'm sure this will be resolved fairly easily.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:50 AM

699 posts, read 1,705,773 times
>>Our HOA requires that anyone who wants to make any sort of change must notify and receive approval from any neighbor(s) who might be affected<<

Check with your HOA, I think the above is standard procedure.

As suggested, make certain you know where your property line runs. Not sure about trees, but many ordinances require that fences be set back a certain number of feet from property lines.

Continue your attempts to contact your neighbor, expressing your concerns. Leyland Cyprus can be sheared into a nice hedge at 4 ft or so. Perhaps transplanting them so that all the foliage will remain on their property and shearing into a privacy hedge would meet both your needs.

Should you not be able to resolve the matter amicably and you find yourself forced to live with your neighbor's landscaping encroaching on your property, it it is worthwhile noting that care should be taken not to over water. More trees die from over watering than under watering.

Perhaps planting a row of plants requiring near continual watering will resolve the issue. Bamboo, for example, is a wonderful privacy planting.

Be certain to put a barrier down at least 18 inches on your side as bamboo can be invasive and is close to impossible to eradicate.

Check with your HOA first, of course. And check with your neighbor to be certain he is okay with you planting bamboo.

Last edited by PatRoy1; 04-03-2011 at 04:52 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-03-2011, 05:49 AM

205 posts, read 487,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatRoy1 View Post
>>Our HOA requires that anyone who wants to make any sort of change must notify and receive approval from any neighbor(s) who might be affected<<

Check with your HOA, I think the above is standard procedure.

As suggested, make certain you know where your property line runs. Not sure about trees, but many ordinances require that fences be set back a certain number of feet from property lines.

Continue your attempts to contact your neighbor, expressing your concerns. Leyland Cyprus can be sheared into a nice hedge at 4 ft or so. Perhaps transplanting them so that all the foliage will remain on their property and shearing into a privacy hedge would meet both your needs.

Should you not be able to resolve the matter amicably and you find yourself forced to live with your neighbor's landscaping encroaching on your property, it it is worthwhile noting that care should be taken not to over water. More trees die from over watering than under watering.

Perhaps planting a row of plants requiring near continual watering will resolve the issue. Bamboo, for example, is a wonderful privacy planting.

Be certain to put a barrier down at least 18 inches on your side as bamboo can be invasive and is close to impossible to eradicate.

Check with your HOA first, of course. And check with your neighbor to be certain he is okay with you planting bamboo.
You're kinda scary.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:08 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
NO ONE for Any reason should plant bamboo.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:19 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,673,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatRoy1 View Post
More trees die from over watering than under watering.

i think i like you LOL

Old 04-03-2011, 06:17 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,245,408 times
Not to mention leylands are prone to disease, so you may find fallen trees in your yard.

This is not an HOA issue unless the HOA requires arc approval for plantings in the back yard. Even then, they would just be approving the appearance. Let's say the HOA sends your neighbors a letter saying, "The addition of the leylands is approved as long as at full maturity, they will not encroach on your neighbor's property". Then the neighbors leave the plants where they are (encroaching). It would still be up to you to resolve that border issue with your neighbor, not through the HOA.

I suggest going to speak to the neighbor directly. It will be a lot easier to move the trees back now while they're recently planted. Wait a year or so and they'll be a lot bigger.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:18 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,245,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
personally, if my neighbors were that close to me, i would like that they planted them.

but if they are in fact on your land, pull them up. and kick them back over to the neighbors yard.

i wouldnt do that until you have a surveyor out to MARK where the line is, though.
This just starts a war. No harm in talking to the neighbor first. I think Sue's advice is very poor.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:30 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,900,562 times
Coming from a neighborhood where ALL the trees were removed to build our houses and where just about everyone's lawn is a dust bowl, I would LOVE if my neighbors planted stuff. Even a neighbor with somewhat questionable taste at the nursery is better than not planting anything (in our case). Plants in general raise property value so I don't really think you need to worry about resale, especially if your backyard is 30ft deep. You have other resale issues on your hands. Buyers will want privacy in the backyard.

But if you want to approach it from the 'glass half empty' perspective, a call to the HOA is in order. My HOA does not require neighbor approval but it does require architectural approval for "any improvement to the building or land" (strictly speaking, planting flowers would require approval, although in practice the HOA is not that neurotic!)

And you could always build a fence if you want to stick to the "what's mine is mine" philosophy....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary