Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 02:55 PM

677 posts, read 1,903,475 times

Advertisements

It snowed 12 inches here on March 1 & 2 in 1980. I remember it well because I had driven with some friends to the eastern shore of MD for a wedding. We headed back thinking that driving south would be no problem, but the storm came in fast and from the south. By the time we got to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel we could hardly see. It was snowy & very windy--the closest thing to a blizzard I guess I've ever seen! We drove all that way, made it home, then everything came to a standstill for about a week.

Doesn't look like we are going to get a repeat of that tonight, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 06:54 AM

159 posts, read 608,891 times
I was in 9th grade in eastern NC. I can remember walking through the neighborhood in foot-high snow, with much taller drifts. I have great photos of the snow sculptures on top of the garage and house created by the wind. There was so much snow, the drifts on top of roofs were pretty incredible. Now I want to go dig up the photos... Thanks for jogging my memory!

Old 03-02-2009, 07:03 AM

820 posts, read 2,788,006 times
That was the first snow I can remember! I was in Kindergarten. Can you imagine if it had been just a tad bit colder an extra day or so? We had so much rain between Friday and yesterday that I think we would have surpassed that foot of snow. And BTW, I am glad you said it was a foot; The weather guys have been speaking about it historically that it was around 1/2 of a foot which isn't the way I remember. Guess it depends on where you measure; I am sure they were at the airport.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:13 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times
I remember that one well. I was on duty that day, and recall assisting Wake Co. EMS carry a lady in labor over several blocks of snow to their vehicle. The snow was simply too deep to roll her by stretcher, and EMS was unable to get their vehicle any closer. It was long day, and it was another long day the next day getting home

Old 03-02-2009, 08:26 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,424,950 times
I remember it too as a tiny tot. March snows can be a beast in North Carolina.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:16 AM

677 posts, read 1,903,475 times
Ohlordy you guys make me feel old! Tot, kindergarten, LOL. I was just out of college and it was the first time I had to try to get to work instead of just playing in snow.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:34 AM

2,932 posts, read 7,824,312 times
My mom had to go to work that day. She told me she was going to walk, but her boss paid for a taxi to come and pick her up and take her to work. I wasn't even born then though!

Old 03-02-2009, 12:03 PM

38 posts, read 225,496 times
Nope thats way before my time lol but ask me anything about the blizzard/icestorm/power outages of 2002 and i have stories for ya!

Old 03-02-2009, 12:12 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,240 times
Default reply

I remember it well. A bunch of us went sledding down Kidd's Hill above Crabtree. The best sledding that I have ever done. That is a steep hill.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:58 PM

2 posts, read 9,912 times
Default March Snowfall 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I remember that one well. I was on duty that day, and recall assisting Wake Co. EMS carry a lady in labor over several blocks of snow to their vehicle. The snow was simply too deep to roll her by stretcher, and EMS was unable to get their vehicle any closer. It was long day, and it was another long day the next day getting home
I was "on call" to the OR at WakeMed that Saturday. I went in when it first started to snow. I didn't get to leave until Monday night. EMS kept bringing us cardiac patients who needed by-pass surgery. It was a very long weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary