Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 10:25 PM

5 posts, read 22,890 times

Advertisements

hello. glad you're getting a chance to see NC, and hope that you weren't too frustrated by getting lost. if you're coming down again soon, just give us a shout and you can ask a local to give you tours. best way to see a city any way, right? i'm a north carolina native, and love it here. just ask if you have questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 07:12 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,112,957 times
The roads and signage here are disgusting, Cary is a gross example.

I've been here 18 years and still can't understand the beltline. No lighting on interstates and many main roads.

Other good things make up for it, but transportation is the pits.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:30 AM

275 posts, read 1,113,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fridleygal View Post
Burgers better than In 'n out? Maybe I'll choose a subdivision by it's proximity to that place!! Where in Cary were you? I wish I'd gotten the Laguna Beach vibe - just didn't happen -
I would vote for Cookout as being equal too (or better due to the Coke floats!) than In-N-Out. And you can't get hushpuppies at In-N-Out!

Glad you enjoyed your trip. I always thought that Cary reminded me of Irvine...it feels very master planned to me. We moved out from Garden Grove 2 yrs ago. It is VERY tough to get around here...I actually resorted to getting a compass so that I could tell which way I was going! But you get used to it...eventually.

We live in Holly Springs and LOVE it...good luck to you in your moving plans! As I've said many times on this board...the only thing I miss is the Mexican Food!

Old 07-30-2007, 08:42 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,593,493 times
Five Guys burgers are awesome.. I'm so glad the franchise has migrated here from the Northern VA area!

I think a GPS is pretty much a necessity for newcomers here (or anywhere, really). For a few hundred dollars you get a lot of peace of mind. I was never very good at reading signs on the fly anyhow!

Old 07-30-2007, 08:55 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,112,957 times
Five Guys and the whole new North Hills are great. The movie theater in North Hills next to 5 Guys is clean and comfortable.

We lived in downtown L.A. in the 70's and like NC much more.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:15 AM

3,297 posts, read 8,534,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Five Guys burgers are awesome.. I'm so glad the franchise has migrated here from the Northern VA area!

I think a GPS is pretty much a necessity for newcomers here (or anywhere, really). For a few hundred dollars you get a lot of peace of mind. I was never very good at reading signs on the fly anyhow!
That's right let's not forget that Five Guys started in Alexandria, VA. You can not beat their burgers or fries, but Cookout is great too.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:56 AM

405 posts, read 1,766,939 times
You ate at the Q-Shack and had... CHICKEN!?!?! I'm sorry to hear that

Q-Shack = beef brisket. End of story. Man, I think I need to go there for lunch today. You've got me craving Q in a big way!

Old 07-30-2007, 10:12 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,593,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
That's right let's not forget that Five Guys started in Alexandria, VA. You can not beat their burgers or fries, but Cookout is great too.
I had my first Five Guys burger at least 15 years ago.. now that makes me feel old!

The nice thing about the Raleigh ones are that they are as good as the original two locations. The newer ones in the DC area (Reston/Herndon) were disappointing.

Another DC area transplant - Hard Times Cafe - is just as good as the original as well! Worth the trip downtown if you are in the mood for some great chili!

Old 07-30-2007, 02:41 PM

241 posts, read 932,944 times
All these excellent food choices... I can't wait to try them all I will get the beef next time... but I have to say, that chicken sandwich was amazing

Now, I just have to get used to saying "unsweetened" when I order iced tea... although the sweet stuff ain't bad.

I can't wait to move! We want to wrap all this LA stuff up now now NOW!

Oh, and I'm checking out Holly Springs on our next trip, although it seems far from where my fiance might be working.

Have a great week everyone!!

Old 07-30-2007, 03:07 PM

3,381 posts, read 7,741,699 times
I vastly prefer Char Grille or Cookout to 5 Guys greasefest.

And I miss the Brisket at the Q-Shack. I used to go the one at Southpoint, but it left to make way for the overrated Cheesecake Factory. The H'boro St one didn't make it. Durham and North Hills are still around I take it? A little far for me unless I'm in the area.

I did have a Smithfields open near me, so things aren't all bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary