Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 09:38 AM

113 posts, read 372,380 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know when to expect bermuda to start greening in our area? I planted my back yard last year, in early april and by end of may it was lush.

this year, i seem to still have dormant bermuda and some bare spots so I threw some bermuda seed out, threw some fertilizer down and covered with wheat straw right before we had the rains last week.

I do have a bunch of what looks like rye grass or fescue coming up here and there- perhaps from when the builder planted before i moved in.

Fingers crossed here that my back yard will come up just as nice as last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 09:43 AM

ahhh, i searched.

looks like the answer is mid to late april so any time now!!!!!

can't wait. hopefully I have most of last years come up.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:12 AM

398 posts, read 1,292,872 times
My Bermuda is starting to green up right now. I think maybe next week (fingers crossed!)

Old 04-05-2011, 10:15 AM

375 posts, read 1,144,093 times
On the top of my hill (lots of direct sunlight) all my Bermuda is green. On the lower flat portions I noticed its starting to turn when I cut the grass (excuse me - weeds) this weekend.

We're planning on filling in some spots this weekend.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:28 AM

I am not sure if i have bermuda or crab grass in some places.

I planted alot of bermuda last year and it looked awesome.

this year, i have more bare spots than i remember having end of last years crop. I am thinking I do have bermuda grass but some died over the winter.

So far, the only green things in my yard is some fescu type grass here and there, and a few of those prickly leafy things.

Hoping the bermuda kicks in soon. the front is still white/tan and that is bermuda sod planted by builder.

I figure if that turns green and the back yard doesn't, back to the drawing board.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:11 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,057,092 times
Bermuda technically needs a soil temp of about 70 to fully green up. Needless to say more sun the quicker it might green up etc etc. I say might because parts of my yard are really greening and some are not and others are in between. It is following the same pattern as previous years. I have heard and my experience has been that it will be in full green mode by May 1. It takes up to three years for a Bermuda lawn to fully come in so the newer the lawn the more time it may take for it overcome competing growth. A good pre/post emergent control program helps.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:49 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,995,450 times
Mine is still brown. I think it is nearly time to add some fertilizer.

I plan to aerate and add lime this spring also, but I figure should wait until it starts growing before I aerate.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:03 AM

374 posts, read 1,182,342 times
Sacuy,

If you have bermuda I do not think you are supposed to aerate your lawn.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:10 AM

43,320 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Turffiles:Turfgrasses:Bermudagrass

Old 04-06-2011, 11:30 AM

so my front lawn is bermuda sod from builder.

not green yet and nothing growing but a little clover.

The back yard was planted with fescu i think by builder and never came up right. I reseeded last year in late march/early april with bermuda and raked it into the soil, watered, then covered with wheat straw. By the end of may, it looked awesome.

As the year went on, it didn't seem like just bermuda and thought maybe it was crabgrass. had the larger blades. but it looked good so i kept it. it was dark green and very nice to walk on. No bare spots as far as i could tell.

over the winter whatever was there died and turned white/tan like the front yard and looked the same. so i assumed it was bermuda. Earlier this year/late winter some of the old stuff disappeared it seems. There is still 75% left. Then i Had green plants coming up and i assumed fescu. I reseeded with more bermuda, fertilized, then covered with wheat straw. Well i found out last night that it's crabgrass. I pulled it up last night and there is some grass here and there under the wheat straw.

So what should my next step be? I am thinking pull the crab grass up as it comes back and reseed the bare spots with more bermuda and cover with more straw.

sound good?

again, my front bermuda lawn is still dormant but has zero crabgrass.

thanks and sorry for the long post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary