Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 06:08 PM

449 posts, read 699,937 times

Advertisements

That would not be such a problem. It would have much of the leafage and branches overhanging the retaining wall at the back of our property, what is below is going to be kept "wild" as it's a runoff area near a feeder of Pigeon House Creek. And we had a redwood in our back yard in CA… those drop stuff all year round too… our yard tends to have that certain rustic ambience ;-)

The variety we want doesn't get as large as the classic Southern Magnolia… but it gets big enough… we need Big Enough in this case.

Thanks for bringing up the question, though. I'd hate to find that out the hard way if I was not already researching this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Are you sure you want a magnolia? They get very large (diameter), have limbs close to the ground and are very messy, dropping large thick leaves and the cones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 07:40 PM

699 posts, read 1,706,290 times
We were out at Broadwell's Nursery (7110 Old Stage Road North, Angier, NC (919) 639-2952) last week. Lots of shrubs and trees, some of them good size, at what I've heard are reasonable prices.

Raleigh Farmer's Market. Good people, good prices and vendors sounded like they had bigger stuff at home.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:49 PM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,343,789 times
Ditto on Broadwell's!

Old 04-07-2011, 06:36 AM

114 posts, read 430,106 times
Be very careful at Broadwell's. I have heard too many horror stories from people buying there. A business owner I know went there to purchase plants to open a new flex space in Raleigh. He gave whoever helped him the requirements form Raleigh specs and sizes. They sold him the plants and Raleigh rejected the entire load. Broadwell's would not take back the plants, told they looked fine to them and for him to shop somewhere else. He later learn that many contractors will never set foot on that place because of the low quality and the risk of losing business. Be careful what you buy there.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:54 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsbj92 View Post
Be very careful at Broadwell's. I have heard too many horror stories from people buying there.
I can't speak from a commercial perspective, but as a homeowner I've made many trips to Broadwell's (and the other nearby nurseries) and have purchased a lot of stuff there over the years. I won't repeat the guidance that's been posted many times elsehwere in this forum about the ins and outs of shopping at a large wholesale nursery, but I've had nothing but positive experiences at Broadwells, and have saved a ton of money by buying basic plants there. And I've had no worse success with the plants I've bought there than with what I've bought at traditional retail nurseries.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:59 AM

632 posts, read 1,844,515 times
What kind of trees / shrubs can you find at Broadwells?

Thanks!

Old 04-07-2011, 08:17 AM

842 posts, read 2,588,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I can't speak from a commercial perspective, but as a homeowner I've made many trips to Broadwell's (and the other nearby nurseries) and have purchased a lot of stuff there over the years. I won't repeat the guidance that's been posted many times elsehwere in this forum about the ins and outs of shopping at a large wholesale nursery, but I've had nothing but positive experiences at Broadwells, and have saved a ton of money by buying basic plants there. And I've had no worse success with the plants I've bought there than with what I've bought at traditional retail nurseries.
Ditto that CHTransplant!! I am yet to find somewhere that even have the acreage and pricing that Broadwell's have. I rented and loaded up a truck with Holly Trees last year and was shocked at the price difference elsewhere. I paid $3.50ea for 3ft Hollies and saw the same exact sizes at Lowes and Home Depot for $35-$40 ... I kid you not! For the amount that I purchased that day, even if I had lost 10 of those plants it would still be worth the money when compared to what everyone else is charging. My experience at Broadwell is basically - "so far, so good".

Old 04-07-2011, 11:36 PM

56 posts, read 132,668 times
Thanks for all your suggestions! I'll be checking them all out.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:12 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
Were I you, I would check out your local Southern States. If you tell them what you are looking for, they will get it for you and will answer any questions you may have. It is probably the easiest co-op to get in on, just start shopping there and you will be a member. I think the third time I went in there they were calling me by name, granted, Mebane is a small town, but it still made me feel good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary