Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2011, 03:50 PM
VK4 VK4 started this thread

1 posts, read 733 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am interested in learning about the experiences (both positive and negative) of older adults (especially those who no longer drive) in regards to public transportation in the triangle.

What concerns/issues are there?
Are there locations of the triangle devoid of any public transportation?

Thanks for sharing your input, ideas, and experiences!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 04:16 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
The town of Cary has a public transportation program that transports seniors for a very nominal fee if you live within a mile of the fixed bus routes. It's part of their bus line, which is limited to Cary, but I believe if you qualify they will actually come pick you up at your house and take you home for things like doctor's appointments.
My parents live in Raleigh but are considering moving to Cary as they age for this service. Resources for Seniors, Program Information Sheet for C-Tran: Cary Transit

Old 04-07-2011, 04:20 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Here's info about Raleigh's bus routes:

Capital Area Transit Bus Routes and Schedules - The Official City of Raleigh Portal

I've never met anyone here who has taken the bus. In my old life (up north), I was a frequent bus rider. It's not part of the culture here. I don't even remember seeing buses very much here.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:57 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,673,430 times
public transport here, quite frankly, sucks. And I certainly wouldnt want an older person dealing with it...

Old 04-08-2011, 12:33 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
The roads are pitiful too. Almost totally unlighted and poorly planned so a slower driver can't stay in the right lane without being forced off over and over.

Chapel Hill has free bus service if it fits your budget.

If you need good public transit, don't move here. The morons in the legislature want to build more roads and turn down Federal train service grant money.

I have poor night vision and not the best depth perception (20/20 sight) and cannot travel on the Interstates.

Amtrak only goes a few places and service is not frequent from Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary