Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 10:08 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I was thinking the same thing. It seems that the only group targeted were Christians (ie, the comment the hoaxer made about Hell). That was pretty low IMO (and I don't even consider myself to be Christian at all).
Agreed. There are plenty of people who hate gays who aren't Christian, and plenty of people who call themselves Christians who are very accepting of gay people, even if they don't necessarily agree with homosexuality being a natural state.

It's really a shame that this happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 10:48 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. It seems that the only group targeted were Christians (ie, the comment the hoaxer made about Hell). That was pretty low IMO (and I don't even consider myself to be Christian at all).
Other groups besides Christians believe in Hell and use language like that; you can't say that his (made-up) choice of words was anti-Christian, per se.

I agree that I would like to know exactly where the burn came from. Can't possibly be something even an attention-starved person would to do himself.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:29 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
I hate to speculate any further on this without knowing all of the facts. However, the location of the hoaxer's injury made me think of a possible suicide attempt (and the hoax was the cover story).

Old 04-13-2011, 04:37 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,837 times
I love this thread. All of the self-righteous whining and indignation at the start, only to find that the "hate crime" was a hoax. And then the "yes, but I think that it coulda happened, and therefore it probably does happen all the time, but you don't know about it" cliche. And then the hand-wringing over whether Chapel Hill is still "gay friendly." One might just as reasonably ask whether Chapel Hill is "straight friendly."

Old 04-13-2011, 07:35 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,097 times
Well at least CH is gay friendly again...

Old 04-13-2011, 07:46 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
I hate to speculate any further on this without knowing all of the facts.
Hasn't stopped you before. Why start now?

Old 04-13-2011, 08:00 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Hasn't stopped you before. Why start now?
hahaha best post on the thread.

This hasn't made national headlines yet. Though when it does I'm sure it will be covered most heavily on Fox News.

I read about it on the N&O online yesterday.....though it sounded tragic the biggest question for me was what magic tool/object did some random guy that was sitting on a bridge for who knows how long have that could stay hot enough to cause such severe burns if he just randomly burnt a gay passerby. Also, I believe Mr. Quinn said that he didn't even know the name of the "acquaintance" that he was having a conversation with when the fake assault happened

This story shouldn't make the Triangle or UNC look any more ore less gay friendly than it was previously thought to be; nor should it make other accusations of hate crimes seem less genuine.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:45 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
I love this thread. All of the self-righteous whining and indignation at the start, only to find that the "hate crime" was a hoax. And then the "yes, but I think that it coulda happened, and therefore it probably does happen all the time, but you don't know about it" cliche. And then the hand-wringing over whether Chapel Hill is still "gay friendly." One might just as reasonably ask whether Chapel Hill is "straight friendly."

I do still think it sucks when people target others for crime based on their sexual preference, nationality, gender, etc.

It's even more repellent than just randomly targeting someone for no reason other than they appear to be an easy target, because you're not just out to steal a purse or a car... you're out to hurt a person JUST because they are the subject of your loathing.

It's vile.

It is also a terrible thing to lie about being assaulted. I feel every bit as disgusted when women lie about being raped.

Makes it all the more difficult for people who were actually raped to be believed.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:55 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,584,421 times
This thread is too hot to handle.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary