Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2011, 07:24 AM

35 posts, read 139,051 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Moving day is getting closer and closer for us. We live in a Co-op in Forest Hills, Queens, and we're moving to Raleigh in June, can anyone recommend a moving company for us?

Our co-op board requires the moving company to be insured.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Robbie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 02:07 PM

242 posts, read 594,336 times
We moved from NY in February and used Moovers, Inc. We had heard inter-state moving horror stories and were VERY selective (got 5 in-home estimates). They weren't the least expensive (next least expensive), but were very professional and highly recommended by www.movingscam.com. They have RAVE reviews and now I know why.....they were wonderful!

Old 04-12-2011, 05:19 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
We used Bay Shore MOving and Storage - the local ALLIED affiliate. Very, very happy with them. They included things in their estimate that the other 2 didn't (like boxes for the mattresses) so it wasn't sprung on me as an extra special surprise on moving day, and when all was said and done they cost $300 less than their estimate. Best of all, we had a 2 week gap between closings and they kept our stuff on the truck at no charge (we tipped the driver heavily).

As pp said, get a few estimates and go with a name mover. Ask around your building too.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:26 PM

794 posts, read 1,325,876 times
Default Just a thought...

I don't know your particular situation, if you work for a medium to large-size company, you might want to check out their vendors/contracts for relocations. I am moving (and keeping my current job) so I called up the relo department and asked if I could use the company's corporate moving vendors even though they are not paying for my move. Turns out I could...so I got the corporate discount, plus the weight that comes from that relationship which (of course) the moving company wants to continue.

I'm in Maryland and am using Hilldrup Moving and Storage (based in VA), a United Van Lines affiliate and they've been great. The move is in two weeks, so I can send details about how it all went, if you'd like.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:09 PM

441 posts, read 1,292,050 times
We used 3 of the larger PODS and what ever did not fit was left behind.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:36 AM

35 posts, read 139,051 times
Awesome tips everyone!

Also, is there a protocol on how much to tip your movers?

Old 04-14-2011, 10:53 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
^^ Find out if the same crew who loads you in NY will unload you down here. For us, the same driver was with our stuff the whole time (and he was clearly in charge of the crew). So we tipped them all at loading. We told the driver we'd tip again when it got safely to NC. As I mentioned he kept our stuff on the truck as long as he could, it worked out prefectly for us - so we gave him $100 just for that as soon as we saw him at the new house and then tipped him and the crew when they were done unloading. It's nice to offer to buy them a meal too if the move goes thru lunch/dinner hour.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:44 AM

342 posts, read 751,945 times
We are getting a few quotes from moving companies, but I believe it will be quite a bill. We're in a situation where the small rental where we are now only HAS to be moved. Luckily not alot or furniture. We also have a storage unit, which can be a phase 2 move. And we have several vehicles ranging in size from a motorcycle to a motorhome, so we have much planning to do.

It may be U-haul for us with a bunch of my friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary