Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2011, 09:38 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,158,694 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what they are clearning all that land for on the corner of Rt. 54 and S. Alston Ave, by the new Durham Library branch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 01:25 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,533,543 times
If I am thinking of the correct spot that you are talking. There is a plan in play to widen Alston Ave. so that it can be four lanes and connect to I-85. There has been a lot of talk about whether or not to take part of a grocery store that has been there forever and is the only thing around for the low income part of Alston Ave or the other side which is owned by Ernie Mills (Durham Rescue Mission) is is locally like and politically connected.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:54 PM

276 posts, read 648,618 times
I think GucciLittlePiggie is talking about is a bit further south on 54 -- closer to where 54 / 55 meet up. I'm not sure what is going on down there, but I've seen the construction. Looks like a road-widening project, but I'm not sure what the motivation behind it was (since I'm not usually in that area.)

As for what you are talking about, Mike, you are correct -- there are plans in the works to widen Alston Avenue near the Rescue Mission. There is a grocery store on the corner that has been there forever, but the road widening would cause the grocery store to lose basically the entire parking lot or have to close. I currently live pretty close to the projected road-widening project, and I'm not a big fan of the idea. Traffic isn't really an issue there right now, and widening it just to encourage more traffic towards I-85 doesn't really seem useful.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:31 PM

It'd be a weird spot to widen the road, since there's a house right past it that isn't going anywhere. It looks more like a building and parking lot sized space. I'm hoping it's a brewpub (I work a half mile down S Alston...)

Old 04-14-2011, 08:32 AM

523 posts, read 1,326,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
It'd be a weird spot to widen the road, since there's a house right past it that isn't going anywhere. It looks more like a building and parking lot sized space. I'm hoping it's a brewpub (I work a half mile down S Alston...)
I work about a mile to the east of this spot on 54 and pass it almost daily, and I've been trying to figure out what's going on there, too. I'll keep asking/digging to see what I can find out. I'm not going to hold out too much hope for a brewpub right in front of the library and a block south of the middle school, but I'd be very happy if it was!

Old 04-14-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb27608 View Post
I work about a mile to the east of this spot on 54 and pass it almost daily, and I've been trying to figure out what's going on there, too. I'll keep asking/digging to see what I can find out. I'm not going to hold out too much hope for a brewpub right in front of the library and a block south of the middle school, but I'd be very happy if it was!
LOL!! Yeah yeah yeah.... I can dream ;-)
I guess if I'm this curious I could just stop my car and ask one of the workers. I'm sure they know.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:02 PM

5 posts, read 14,029 times
There was a sign up today that I tried to read as I went by. I'm about 90% sure it said that they were building a branch of the State Employee's Credit Union.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:27 PM

Wow that's gonna be a big branch! Thanks for the info. I'm still holding out for the brewpub...

Old 04-15-2011, 04:51 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamermagik View Post
There was a sign up today that I tried to read as I went by. I'm about 90% sure it said that they were building a branch of the State Employee's Credit Union.

Odd, there's a pretty big one up there just past the intersection of Miami (near my home away from home, Randy's Pizza), and I believe it is fairly new. It replaced the one at 54/55 food lion shopping center. But still, that would work for me, closer to myh work, and on the way home for me...

Old 04-15-2011, 03:47 PM

There is indeed a sign, saying it is the Lowe's Grove SECU branch future home. I didn't find anything online with renderings or completion dates, except something from 2009 saying they were buying the land and wanted to start building that summer.
North Carolina News | North Carolina Credit Union Network for anyone interested. I guess it's a historic site where the South's first rural credit union was...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary