Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 08:22 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,919,154 times

Advertisements

I just posted on the ABC board asking Jamie to consider coming here for season 3. Show your support by posting there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 10:00 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,673,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
POLL: What did you send your kid to school with in his/her lunchbox?
my 12 yo took..

ham sandwich on wheat w/ mustard
carrots and a yogurt dip
sunchips (slightly better than regular chips i guess)
water
raisins

my 5 yo (at home) had
carrots
strawberries
blueberries
scrambled eggs
milk

i know, he eats weird LOL. he doesnt eat any meat except shrimp and chicken breast. he definitely takes after his veggie mom! LOL except.. i cant eat shrimp (shellfish allergy) and i dont eat chicken LOL

Old 04-15-2011, 11:05 AM

814 posts, read 2,006,289 times
Our Wake County school doesn't cook, they open cans and reheat, from what I can see. I went to elem school in the late 60's early 70's and we had our share of mystery meat and bland butter beans, but I still fondly remember the huge fresh yeast rolls, and the spaghetti and sloppy joes, etc. which were homemade and everyone loved.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:41 AM

374 posts, read 1,181,600 times
Do you realize how much it would cost the school system if they switched to healthy foods and actually cooked in the cafeteria? With how high the percentage of free and reduced lunch students there are it would be a double whammy. In the long run will that money make any difference, sadly probably not. Those same kids will just go home sit down by the tv and eat junk food anyway. I agree kids need to eat better and exercise more but that should not fall solely on schools. Parents need to take responsibility for it and until they do there is only so much that can be done.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammester View Post
Do you realize how much it would cost the school system if they switched to healthy foods and actually cooked in the cafeteria? With how high the percentage of free and reduced lunch students there are it would be a double whammy. In the long run will that money make any difference, sadly probably not. Those same kids will just go home sit down by the tv and eat junk food anyway. I agree kids need to eat better and exercise more but that should not fall solely on schools. Parents need to take responsibility for it and until they do there is only so much that can be done.
Jamie's all about finding economical solutions for healthy eating. I'm not convinced it's going to double the cost or anything crazy like that. Let's get him here and see for sure!

Old 04-15-2011, 11:57 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Is the problem really just as simple as changing out the food? I get it that that's the goal - but it seems to me there are a lot of politics and bureaucracies in between current state and that end objective (and probably some vested interests in the status quo). Is it going to take more than a "food person" (and television show) to be able to successfully address this?

Old 04-15-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Is the problem really just as simple as changing out the food? I get it that that's the goal - but it seems to me there are a lot of politics and bureaucracies in between current state and that end objective (and probably some vested interests in the status quo). Is it going to take more than a "food person" (and television show) to be able to successfully address this?
Yes, of course there is a lot more involved than a simple food swap. The problem is, chiefly, the existing bureaucracy and political situation and "status quo" for the most part. I don't think a celeb chef and TV show can change it with one fell swoop, but we need something "big" to kick off a change and beyond citizen interest, that would seem to be a good way to get publicity and more quickly gather steam for the effort.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:38 PM

804 posts, read 2,003,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
unfortunately, it is like you say ... not as simple as changing out the food. for one thing, many school districts have completely cut down to the bone in terms of staff. i think back to when i was a kid & we had full lunch staffs that were there all day doing food preparation, serving, clean-up, & washing dishes. we didn't have disposable plates (until later in high school, i think) & the lunch ladies actually prepared the food (even if some was frozen).

also, there are so many subsidies for corn & corn products that HFCS is in everything & on paper looks cheaper (& probably is technically) but healthwise it tanks. i am curious how the F&R lunches may skew the numbers. i'd be interested to know if those are on the uptick now & if that affects more now than it did in earlier years.

RDUbiker - this weekend i'll try to back you up on bringing jamie oliver to wake county. maybe we have something going for us being in one of the fastest-growing areas of the country!

Old 04-15-2011, 02:01 PM

5,742 posts, read 17,594,046 times
That's all WCPSS needs. With all the current school board problems, do you think they want more controversy on their plates? . . . .so to speak.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:57 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
They absolutely DO cook in Wake schools! Head over to your school at about 6 am and watch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary