Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 04:49 PM

205 posts, read 487,459 times

Advertisements

My main gripe? The fact that they have pre-packaged junk food at the registers as the kids are leaving the food line. They can select items such as moon pies, chips and ice-cream.

WHY???

I pack my kids' lunches now. But I still have a huge problem with the fact that they're selling the kids crap in the lunch line (outside of the food).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 04:59 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfishGumbo View Post
My main gripe? The fact that they have pre-packaged junk food at the registers as the kids are leaving the food line. They can select items such as moon pies, chips and ice-cream.

WHY???

I pack my kids' lunches now. But I still have a huge problem with the fact that they're selling the kids crap in the lunch line (outside of the food).
Yep. It's vile.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:28 AM

68 posts, read 118,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfishGumbo View Post

WHY???

No kidding, all the arguments about not letting vending machines in schools is really undermined when the lunch line offers it directly!

Old 06-15-2011, 06:22 AM

5,742 posts, read 17,592,639 times
Wow. . .After watching a few episodes of this show, I didn't expect this.

Flavored milk no longer a choice in LA schools :: WRAL.com (http://www.wral.com/lifestyles/food/story/9729634/ - broken link)

Old 06-15-2011, 07:23 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,918,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Wow. . .After watching a few episodes of this show, I didn't expect this.

Flavored milk no longer a choice in LA schools :: WRAL.com (http://www.wral.com/lifestyles/food/story/9729634/ - broken link)
I was about to post that last night when my computer froze.

Great news - perhaps our district can do the same.

Last week's episode was quite good. He does a good job of teaching people effectively.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:55 PM

306 posts, read 882,855 times
Just saw this link about the schools in LA and was going to post it, too! I didn't realize it was from last week. I really hope that our schools end up doing the same. The flavored milks are terrible. I know they claim the benefits of the milk outweigh the bad effects of the sugar, but it isn't even sugar that's in there. The second ingredient on the milk label is corn syrup. Not to mention the food coloring that goes in to it. Ugh...

Old 06-22-2011, 07:54 PM

The LAUSD has done away with flavored milk and is also working on getting rid of some of the other foods that are unhealthy. Seems like the Food Revolution is helping them. Now if we can get this going in the rest of the country, perhaps we can make a small dent in this obesity thorn.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:23 PM

39 posts, read 61,089 times
Default Seriously???

Are there no parents out there thinking inadequate because they don't grow their own organic vegetables, and raise free range chickens in the back yard?? I mean, how on earth can my children be healthy well adjusted citizens if they eat processed school lunches every day??
Teach them to make good choices, and yes allow them to choose nutritionally inadequate food sometimes. Serve meals at home that are balanced and satisfying. Our school lunches are not the only culpable party in the epidemic of childhood obesity folks..... get them moving and they will crave more satisfying foods. To read so many of the posts here I shake my head... granola eating tree huggers.... So glad I no longer buy into the "well we're better than the Jones" mentality.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janda001 View Post
Are there no parents out there thinking inadequate because they don't grow their own organic vegetables, and raise free range chickens in the back yard?? I mean, how on earth can my children be healthy well adjusted citizens if they eat processed school lunches every day??
Teach them to make good choices, and yes allow them to choose nutritionally inadequate food sometimes. Serve meals at home that are balanced and satisfying. Our school lunches are not the only culpable party in the epidemic of childhood obesity folks..... get them moving and they will crave more satisfying foods. To read so many of the posts here I shake my head... granola eating tree huggers.... So glad I no longer buy into the "well we're better than the Jones" mentality.
This seems a little harsh, calling many of the posters here "granola eating tree huggers." Trying to take sugared, flavored milk and fried and fatty foods out of school system lunches (provided by tax dollars, I will point out) is a far cry from suggesting every parent needs to grow organic vegetables and have chickens running around in the backyard. Let's not stretch the point of the discussion here. Nobody is saying there can't be any fun or "bad" foods available as a treat once in a while - we're talking about constant, ever-present horrible choices that can be easily improved to be healthier while still tasting good for the kids. Such a crime to suggest!

While teaching children to make good choices is critically important, that only goes so far. Kids don't have the ability to really think about how what they eat at age 8 or 12 will affect them when they're 40 or 60. If teaching them good habits were the only thing necessary to avoid such problems, explain why teenagers who know better go and do stupid things like taking 3 friends along for a joyride in a car going 140mph and lose control, killing all aboard. By your argument, it must be the parents fault that these kids do such things. Why not just open up the drinking and smoking age to all? By your argument, if we simply teach kids good choices, none will choose to smoke and drink, right? The reason is because they're not old enough to think for themselves in all situations. They do need people to watch out for them.

Choosing unhealthy meals at school is an easy decision even for good, well taught, intelligent kids because to them it's simply, "Hey, I can have pizza or chicken wings, why would I want a salad?" rather than "If I continue eating this crap, I'll get fat and open myself up to a world of health problems later in life." Kids think mostly about what's good RIGHT NOW, not what's good for their long term well being.

Correct - school lunches aren't the only things making people obese, but that doesn't remove blame or give us a reason to simply ignore the ridiculously unhealthy nature of them and just give up and say "let's not bother trying to better our society." Having kids who are motivated to exercise and run around still make bad eating choices. The two are not even related to each other.

I don't know about you, but one of my main goals as a human being is to make things better for myself and other people, including my children. I didn't make up the statistics on the health issues we have going on in this country; they speak for themselves. Something has to be done - and school lunches is only one small part. We should not be ignoring any of the gears on this giant wheel of health care.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:24 AM

205 posts, read 487,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janda001 View Post
... granola eating tree huggers....
Oh no she di-int!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary