Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 06:58 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,594,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEM View Post
I am sure you all saw the paper today or last week, but in case you didn't...the Apex town council voted in favor of the amendment to allow children to play in cul-de-sacs or dead end streets.

As a parent I obviously want what is best for my children, and I would only allow my children to play where I felt it was safe. I am glad I get to make that decision, I am glad to live in the USA

That's good to hear! I may be on the other side of the state, not a homeowner, nor have any kids, but it's good to see some common sense win out. The law banning kids from playing in the cul de sacs was only good for giving ammo to those who try to make their neighbors lives a living hell! Now, on to those HOAs!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 07:10 AM
MEM

123 posts, read 405,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Just in time for the 100+ degree heat! Nothing quite like playing on asphalt hot enough to fry and egg. My neighborhood is overflowing with kids, but these days seeing one of them outside on the street and away from the AC is about as common as seeing a unicorn gallop down the road!
Actually, our kids are still outside every day Hockey, wiffleball, basketball, dodgeball, they are out there doing it! I think they are nuts but they love it. We just make sure we have plenty of water and Gatorade on hand.

My son still hasn't opened the Wii games he got for Christmas!

Old 07-25-2011, 07:17 AM

75 posts, read 195,728 times
"Kids are going to keep doing what they already are doing"

Kids are going to keep doing what their molly coddling parents let them get away with. I think that anyone who lets their kids play in the street has parenting issues and should be made to take parenting classes! It is absolutely IGNORANT to teach your kids that it's not only OK to play in the street, but their RIGHT to play in the street. How ridiculous are people going to get? And the comments about sense of entitlement are correct but it comes from parents who think their little angels should have not only the area they can provide the little darlings to play in, but the whole wide world should be their playgroung. The PARENTS are displaying their sense of entitlement. I don't care if you live in a cul-de-sac or not, if you have a yard, that's where the children should play. Bikes, trikes, etc. can be peddled on grass just as they can on pavement. Don't want to mess up your beautiful lawn? Go to a park! I really wish that WalMart or Target would put COMMON SENSE on their shelves for puchase.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:35 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,752,031 times
On the other hand, the fact that they are allowing play in cul de sacs and stub streets only but not through streets or withign a certain distance of an intersection shows a surprising amount of common sense for an elected governing body. Thumbs up to the Apex Town Council.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:39 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
On the other hand, the fact that they are allowing play in cul de sacs and stub streets only but not through streets or withign a certain distance of an intersection shows a surprising amount of common sense for an elected governing body. Thumbs up to the Apex Town Council.
Ditto.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:00 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,926,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badrep View Post
I really wish that WalMart or Target would put COMMON SENSE on their shelves for puchase.
Me too! Maybe they could put it next to the antidote for self-righteous judgementalism.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:25 PM

53 posts, read 95,542 times
Quote:
Bikes, trikes, etc. can be peddled on grass just as they can on pavement.
Not true. My son is using training wheels and they do not work on grass. As soon as one of the training wheels hits a dent in the earth, he's stuck there.

I actually had crossed Apex off of my list of places to look for a house in, because of the whole "no playing in the street" thing. We live on a very busy road right now and my son has nowhere to learn to ride his bike and no friends close by. It's not always doable to load his bike into the car to head to the park for the 15 minutes that he'll want to ride. I am looking for a community feel, somewhere that neighborhood kids can get together and play scooters or ride bikes or stuff like that, in a cul-de-sac or on a dead end.

I'm not looking for my kids to go play in traffic or anything, they will be taught to yell "car!" and move out of the road just as I did when I was a kid.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:46 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,673,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzle View Post
Not true. My son is using training wheels and they do not work on grass. As soon as one of the training wheels hits a dent in the earth, he's stuck there.

I actually had crossed Apex off of my list of places to look for a house in, because of the whole "no playing in the street" thing. We live on a very busy road right now and my son has nowhere to learn to ride his bike and no friends close by. It's not always doable to load his bike into the car to head to the park for the 15 minutes that he'll want to ride. I am looking for a community feel, somewhere that neighborhood kids can get together and play scooters or ride bikes or stuff like that, in a cul-de-sac or on a dead end.

I'm not looking for my kids to go play in traffic or anything, they will be taught to yell "car!" and move out of the road just as I did when I was a kid.

lots of cute neighborhoods (reasonably priced too) in youngsville where kids are all over the place. small town, good community feel to it.

and they move out of the way for cars.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:38 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,653,142 times
Quote:
I think that anyone who lets their kids play in the street has parenting issues and should be made to take parenting classes! It is absolutely IGNORANT to teach your kids that it's not only OK to play in the street, but their RIGHT to play in the street.
Thanks for your opinion. Personally, I think it is ignorant to judge other peoples' parenting skills, just because they differ from yours. I mean I could go on about parents who shelter their kids from the real world, or deny them their childhood by playing with their friends, but that wouldn't really get us anywhere.

I didn't see anyone complaining that kids have the RIGHT to play in the street, but that streets were made for cars, and you respect that. Having said that, if you live on a dead end street, cul de sac, side road, etc, it is not a criminal offense to have a pick-up basketball game, wiffle ball game, etc, so long as you yield to cars.

I grew up playing football and wiffle ball in the street. I turned out OK.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:53 AM

75 posts, read 195,728 times
"streets were made for cars,"

nuff said.

"that streets were made for cars, and you respect that"

Respect is the key work, or more so the lack of it.

"I mean I could go on about parents who shelter their kids from the real world, or deny them their childhood by playing with their friends, but that wouldn't really get us anywhere."

Really? You think that by not allowing kids to play in the street that it is sheltering and/or denying them something? They can't play in a backyard or the front lawn with their friends?

Call me judgemental, self-righteous or whatever you want. I stand firm on my opinion on this subject.

Last edited by badrep; 07-26-2011 at 07:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary