Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2011, 08:47 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
I've got video of me driving up Forestville Rd, but of course I can't upload and post it since I'm still without power and I'm trying to conserve my AT&T 200MB data limit.

I left my truck running just so I can keep the phones charged. Crazy.
Just got back from that drive as I live off forestville near 401 intersection. There is a second story roof from one house on another house 1/4 mile away. I am in disbelief as to the damage so close to where my house is, <1 mile. Wow did we get lucky or what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 09:35 AM

Plywood thru a roof

Roof missing from this house...

Landed on this house 1/4 mile away

Lots more but conserving my batteries, this is up on Forestville road near mitchell mill intersection
Attached Thumbnails
4/16/11 severe weather discussion thread-plywood.jpg   4/16/11 severe weather discussion thread-p1030838.jpg   4/16/11 severe weather discussion thread-p1030845.jpg   4/16/11 severe weather discussion thread-p1030852.jpg   4/16/11 severe weather discussion thread-p1030835.jpg  

Old 04-17-2011, 09:36 AM

776 posts, read 1,684,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
I heard that Serendipity was hit...do you know if the streets next to it were?
Serendipity was closed off so I couldn't see down there, though I hear it's bad. Areas north towards Mitchell Mill appear ok...though Forestville north of Mitchell Mill is closed. If you go south of Serendipity towards Cashew Drive and as far as Massey Preserve's pond...its really bad. It almost looks like the tornado crossed Forestville right at the bend between Cashew and Serendipity. Creekside trailer park was hit...but it doesn't look as bad as I had heard. Massey Preserve has some damage, Wheatleigh subdivision took major damage as did houses in Forestville Farms. I saw major structural damage to the houses closest to Forestville. I'm about 250 yards behind Wheatleigh in the subdivision behind there. In fact, there's Wheatleigh, then about 100 yards of woods, then my house.

I gotta hand it to emergency services...as I was assessing damage to my house, a few trucks stopped randomly and asked if my family and house were ok. They were everywhere and I felt good knowing they were around.

I'm probably going to need to call someone to inspect my house...for mostly shingles. Alot of them have peeled up and a few are broken...as well as some of my trim and siding.

I'm fortunate though, believe me. One little jog 250 yards west, and I might not have a home...or a life!

Old 04-17-2011, 09:40 AM

Wheelsup...I took a picture of that same house off Medlar, same angle and everything...thought you stole my pic!

I live back in that area in Enclave subdivision.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:24 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
That roof doesn't look like it matches the house missing a roof. It looks like an older roof with the way the windows look. The house missing a roof looks much newer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Plywood thru a roof

Roof missing from this house...

Landed on this house 1/4 mile away

Lots more but conserving my batteries, this is up on Forestville road near mitchell mill intersection

Old 04-17-2011, 10:26 AM

Forestville north of Mitchell mill is closed due to a large power line down, there were 2 large trees in the road yesterday when I walked down to it but those have been cleaned up. Power is still out in my area, and I haven't seen an PGN crews at all. Sucks but at least my house is intact.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
That roof doesn't look like it matches the house missing a roof. It looks like an older roof with the way the windows look. The house missing a roof looks much newer.
Yeah looks like you are right. No idea where either went or came from then! Although the one with the roof on it looks like it might have snapped away from the same house the more I look at it.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:39 AM

41 posts, read 84,705 times
Same story here. We live in Neuse Crossing SD with no power. Not so much as a broken branch or limb on our street. As already mentioned numerous times the destruction is overwhelming less than a mile away.

Our prayers go out to those who have lost loved-ones and those who have suffered devastating damage to their homes.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:50 AM

Just drove thru Massey Preserve and it's much worse than I thought and came much closer to my house than I thought. Took the words out of my mouth as to how lucky I am. I feel terrible for those people.

BTW, I've gotten three flyers stuck to my mailbox today from siding/roofing companies...

Old 04-17-2011, 10:58 AM

531 posts, read 1,982,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
More likely to see a home with a basement vs. seeing a tornado. The weather people in Raleigh are EXTREMELY unreliable IMHO.
Ha ha ha ha. (sorry, couldn't resist)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary