Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 08:45 PM

91 posts, read 180,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsong View Post
Thanks. Holly Springs ES in on my way to work.

Holly Springs and Sunset Lake looked like it had a bit of damage. I'm hoping my workplace is okay. (Near Penny/Holly Springs)
Coming back from the Little Gym that section of Holly Springs Road is completely closed. I don't know if it has changed since 7pm, but I doubt it has changed much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 09:12 PM

226 posts, read 506,771 times
I did a little riding around and saw some of the damage along Carolina Pines Avenue off of S. Saunders when I went to check on my workplace and saw the damage near Shaw and Starmount.

I'm very keen on photography and really wanted to take some photos, but didn't because I felt bad for the homeowners and didn't want them to take umbrage to my gawking. Plus the roads were insane in spots and it was more important to focus on driving than shooting.

I'm not trying to slight anyone here who did take photos of the damage. Just saying I didn't.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:40 PM

25 posts, read 40,475 times
Wow, My thoughts and prayers to all you folks....

Does anyone have any word on the Sunset Oaks subdivision in Holly Springs?

Thanks.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:50 PM

835 posts, read 2,876,785 times
Some of the damage on and around S. Saunders St. It was unbelievable to see huge trees snapped in two like toothpicks!

4/16/11 severe weather discussion thread-tornado4.jpg

4/16/11 severe weather discussion thread-tornado12.jpg

4/16/11 severe weather discussion thread-tornado13.jpg

4/16/11 severe weather discussion thread-tornado6.jpg

4/16/11 severe weather discussion thread-tornado7.jpg

4/16/11 severe weather discussion thread-tornado17.jpg

Old 04-17-2011, 10:07 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Default downtown Raleigh pics

4/16/11 severe weather discussion thread-across-shaw-univ.jpg

4/16/11 severe weather discussion thread-downtown-state-st-hargett.jpg

4/16/11 severe weather discussion thread-downtown.jpg

4/16/11 severe weather discussion thread-martin-st.jpg

4/16/11 severe weather discussion thread-moore-sq-ms-person.jpg

4/16/11 severe weather discussion thread-power-pole-snapped-downtown-raleigh.jpg

4/16/11 severe weather discussion thread-shaw-univ-dorm.jpg

4/16/11 severe weather discussion thread-shaw-univ-dorm-2.jpg

Again, these really don't show the true impact....

Old 04-17-2011, 10:27 PM

776 posts, read 1,683,925 times
I've got power back...now I just need internet. AT&T is really going to stick it to me on my data usage, I'm sure. No timeframe given from TWC...I have a feeling it might be awhile.

But again, after the devastation I saw and how close it came to my home...I can deal with any of these minor inconveniences, it really put things in perspective.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:24 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,951,705 times
Our family was at Dorton Arena for a roller derby game when the tornado hit. Right before the game started the announcer said that we were on alert if we hear the siren we were to all go under the track. Well about 8 minutes into the first game the siren went off and we were all evacuated under the track. We were down there for about 30 minutes. The lights were flickering on and off and you could hear the tornado. The rumbling was loud. The people in charge told everyone to get down and cover their heads.

When they said it was safe to go back up, we saw that the concession area and some of the bathrooms had flooded. But in good ol' redneck fashion, the game continued and the Carolina Rollergirls beat the Sand Diego Wild Fires 77 to 73.

I have to say that we were in the safest place during this situation and the people were very efficient and got every one to safety quickly and without issue. The roller girls from both teams went around and took pictures with people and talked to the kids who were scared while we were down in the tunnel.

I'm truly sorry to those who lost homes and lives in this disaster.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:47 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,156,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Our family was at Dorton Arena for a roller derby game when the tornado hit. Right before the game started the announcer said that we were on alert if we hear the siren we were to all go under the track. Well about 8 minutes into the first game the siren went off and we were all evacuated under the track. We were down there for about 30 minutes. The lights were flickering on and off and you could hear the tornado. The rumbling was loud. The people in charge told everyone to get down and cover their heads.

When they said it was safe to go back up, we saw that the concession area and some of the bathrooms had flooded. But in good ol' redneck fashion, the game continued and the Carolina Rollergirls beat the Sand Diego Wild Fires 77 to 73.

I have to say that we were in the safest place during this situation and the people were very efficient and got every one to safety quickly and without issue. The roller girls from both teams went around and took pictures with people and talked to the kids who were scared while we were down in the tunnel.
It's interesting you had that experience. I went there for the first time to see the Rollergirls a couple months ago and was musing on how safe that would be during a tornado or hurricane, and where I'd go to take shelter in that event. Sounds like they were right on top of things, which is really good. All I could think of was all that glass...

Old 04-19-2011, 08:31 AM

804 posts, read 2,003,337 times
last night i took a drive through downtown on my way to a friend's house off of south saunders. the hargett/oakwood area has done a great job of clean-up on the roads! we weren't even able to pass many of those streets near hargett, blount, & south streets but they were cleared today with stacks of limbs neatly placed in front of houses. there were, of course, still plenty of homes with large oaks right in their house. i imagine they were awaiitng insurance assessment & removal.

i continued on my way to south saunders. DH was helping our friends with tree removal from their fence. their subdivision had plenty of damage but thankfully nothing majorly serious in terms of safety for them or their neighbors. the park across the street from them had shingles ripped off of the gabled picnic shelter & some large downed trees, but people were out resuming play activities of soccer & volleyball.

the resiliency has been so amazing to watch. the comraderie of neighbors & friends helping neighbors has been wonderful, as well. it does break my heart that a lot of the damage in downtown & some parts of south saunders streets is located in some of the most impoverished neighborhoods. i'm wondering how many people are displaced from their homes without hope to have them replaced should their shady landlords decide not to rebuild.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:38 AM

260 posts, read 637,894 times
My kids go to Washington Elementary in the area affected by storms. Kids are on Spring break now and will head back on Monday 4/25. I am looking for any information on what if anything damaged at that school?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary