Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2011, 08:11 AM

2 posts, read 4,880 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just moved here from out of state. We are currently living off I40 & Miami and actually love the location. However, we are looking to buy a home instead of renting and I am interested in what anyone might know about the area where Wyndmoor at the Park subdivision is located. You get to it by going down 55, right on Cornwallis and left on Alston. Is this a safe area? I would appreciate any info that anyone would provide. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 10:10 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
just curious, after what happened in your area over the weekend, does that change your mind about moving/living in NC?

Old 04-18-2011, 10:13 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niclip View Post
My husband and I just moved here from out of state. We are currently living off I40 & Miami and actually love the location. However, we are looking to buy a home instead of renting and I am interested in what anyone might know about the area where Wyndmoor at the Park subdivision is located. You get to it by going down 55, right on Cornwallis and left on Alston. Is this a safe area? I would appreciate any info that anyone would provide. Thanks.
You can always check the crime stats but I find it more useful to do some driving around and see what is around the area. Stop and ask neighbors. They'll tell you what they like and dislike about their neighborhood.

Vicki

Old 04-18-2011, 10:32 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niclip View Post
Speaking personally, I don't love that location. There are some nice homes in some of the neighborhoods, and some really nice nearby older homes, too, in what's historically been a solid middle-class part of town. On the other hand, NC 55 is a pretty busy road, and there's not as much immediately nearby for shopping -- though groceries, a Lowe's and soon a Walmart are on MLK Jr. Pkwy. There's nothing you can walk/bike to outside the neighborhood itself. If you want anything, it's to the car to head to your destination.

I would also add that Wyndmoor is built by Beazer Homes. I would suggest researching the background and quality of any homebuilder; personally, I would pay extra close attention to the background of Beazer.

If you like the general vicinity, I might suggest some of the neighborhoods off Carpenter Fletcher, MLK Jr. Pkwy, or areas like Woodcroft off Fayetteville Rd., personally.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:51 AM

2 posts, read 4,880 times
The tornados haven't changed our mind. We moved from Little Rock, AR and the weather there is the same here. I won't say we're used to tornados but we had our fair share.

Thanks for the input from the others. I'll do some more homework on the background of Beazer homes.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:13 PM

862 posts, read 3,549,113 times
It is busy on Alston, but it's not like traffic is constantly driving though that subdivision. Also, the op didn't state whether the house will be closer to Alston or Ed Cook Rd. Ed Cook Rd. is really quiet, and the most that'll probably bother you are the deer passing through.

I agree that I don't care for the area due to proximity of shopping, however, I really don't think crime-y when passing through there.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:17 PM

109 posts, read 169,209 times
Police check computers, phones in search for Durham boy, woman :: WRAL.com

I looked at the community because of the price/sq. ft., then saw the story above, and recognized the home style. FWIW -- domestic tragedies happen everywhere. I had already decided it wasn't for me though -- I already have a S. Durham home with a lot that this community doesn't have -- mature trees, larger lots, stable neighbors/list serv. I just don't have the square feet my family needs.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:18 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,293,756 times
You might like to take a look at Parkwood, just further up Hwy. 55 past Hwy. 54, turn right on Sedwick (CVS adjacent). Older homes, from the 1960's. They're doing a major road construction upgrade right now, but it's quite affordable and a great RTP location!

Parkwood Durham NC

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...Durham-NC.html

Old 04-21-2011, 08:05 AM

116 posts, read 366,807 times
You also may want to try Audubon Park.

It between Parkwood and RTP off of Sedwick close to 55.

I live there and really like it. There is a nice pool, tennis courts and playground. They also have 100+ acres (I could be wrong) of walking trails around the neighborhood. (I am not sure what the neighborhood owns and what the Army Corps of Engineers own for Lake Jordan Watershed... None the less, there are many acres of undeveloped land used for walking trails).

chiledog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary