Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2011, 12:31 PM

767 posts, read 1,847,368 times

Advertisements

Well I guess it is somewhat related. Now that we've seen what can happen with these storms, we want 2 huge pines removed from our yard. They are very close to the house, and I just don't want them there for the next storm, whatever it is. We are in Holly Springs. Does anyone know a company to handle it and know what it might cost? I'm also wondering if this month is a good time to do it...not sure if it might cost me more or less to wait considering all that is going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 03:44 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,192,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
Well I guess it is somewhat related. Now that we've seen what can happen with these storms, we want 2 huge pines removed from our yard. They are very close to the house, and I just don't want them there for the next storm, whatever it is. We are in Holly Springs. Does anyone know a company to handle it and know what it might cost? I'm also wondering if this month is a good time to do it...not sure if it might cost me more or less to wait considering all that is going on.
wait. the tree services have their hands full and probably won't be responsive to your needs right now anyway. It tends to be cheaper to have trees removed in the winter. The more trees you want to have removed, the cheaper it will be per tree, so you might want to look around to see if there are more you want to come down. My neighbors had a large pine removed for $500. My other neighbors just had a quote to remove about 20 trees for around $2000.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:59 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
We already had a tree service lined up and were waiting for HOA approval, we called the tree service and they said 2 weeks delay....apparently they are working for the city of Raleigh right now!

Old 04-22-2011, 08:33 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Might want to contact your insurance company too. They may pay all or a % of the cost. Mine did with my parents house.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:51 AM

240 posts, read 1,179,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
wait. the tree services have their hands full and probably won't be responsive to your needs right now anyway.
Excellent advice! There are already "out of town" and "out of state" tree companies here to help with storm related cleanup. We've had well over 200 requests for tree removals and have had to tell folks that we just cannot help them right now.

If you hire ANY tree service (or repair contractor,) please, please, please, take the time to investigate their insurance, reputation, and performance. Getting multiple estimates in writing is always a good idea.

I met a woman yesterday that paid $7,000.00 to have a tree removed from her home that we would have charged no more than $3,000.00 to perform the same work and totally clean up her yard. She was panicked, crying, and just wanted the tree removed and later regretted making this mistake.

Unless you have a tree that is posing imminent danger to you or your home, waiting is the best advice I can offer to my City-Data friends.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:02 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Might want to contact your insurance company too. They may pay all or a % of the cost. Mine did with my parents house.
I would not file a home insurance claim to remove trees - you would wind up with a rate increase, or worse, having your policy cancelled.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:05 PM

892 posts, read 3,160,306 times
Definitely wait till later in the year for tree work. In the meantime be reassured that trees gain momentum when falling so those two closer to your house are your friends . . . for the time being.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:46 PM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,495,485 times
Pine trees are also normally the least of the worries in a storm. In Fran and this last storm, we have yet to lose a Pine. Large oaks and beach tree's though, will fall more often. However, I would wait like the above said, and let them really help those that are in awful conditions right now.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:56 AM

700 posts, read 1,645,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T|K View Post
Pine trees are also normally the least of the worries in a storm. In Fran and this last storm, we have yet to lose a Pine. Large oaks and beach tree's though, will fall more often. However, I would wait like the above said, and let them really help those that are in awful conditions right now.

Not questioning. But, my experiance has been that pine trees fall and snap off half in high winds. Oaks fair far better. Granted in a hurricane (which will spawn many tornados) is an exterme condition compared to a thurnderstorm. The root base on an oak is massive. Most spread out beyond the canopy of the tree. Compare to a pine mostly a tap root with very little spread.

Any tree can be up rooted in a storm. Just depends on the tree, the roots system, how the wind is hitting the tree, area around the tree, health of tree and even the moisture in the ground.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:11 PM

240 posts, read 1,179,610 times
Default Tree Advice for Homeowners

We recommend that any tree limb that overhangs a roof eave (part where the gutters are) or the rake (part where the gable is and looks like a triangle) be removed to prevent debris from accumulating in the roof valleys and gutters. Limbs that overhang your roof provide shade that can also keep the shingles wetter for a longer period of time which is really a bad idea.

That being said, we also recommend that the two species of most brittle trees (pines and gums) be removed far enough away so that any falling limb from rain, ice, or snow load will not damage the structure.

Most species of oaks have a large root system, often as large as the "drip edge" of the crown of the tree. The root system of most oaks is much more shallow than many other trees.

Pines have a large tap root that grows much deeper and provides a very strong anchor. This is why we often see more "broken" pine trees (about 30 feet off the ground) than "uprooted" pine trees after wind events.

When many people look for a new home, often the trees play a large part in a purchase decision. But, when a tornado or a hurricane produces high speed sustained winds, all trees are at the mercy of the storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary