Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2011, 06:12 PM

26 posts, read 152,517 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I am new to the area and looking for the swim team for my two boys who are 9 and 10. The boys are not advanced at all. They just learned the basic and can do 1 lap free style, back stroke, etc. I don't think they are qualified for those formal swim teams (Ie, RCSA) and would like to find a team that do not require formal evaluation but have competitive schedule (Ie, 3 days/week) to provide them a push to get into the water and really practice.
right now I only know TAC has ' Triangle Torpedoes' . I heard there are other such swim programs in neighborhood communities.
I live in Morrisville and TAC is a little bit far for 3 days/ week travel. But it is fine if this program is good.
I am looking for programs/teams info. (pron/con) around Morrisville, Cary area. Also please let me know If you know anything about 'Triangle Torpedoes' in TAC.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 09:16 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times
Why not just look at a summer swim team? Those are common in the area. Year-round swim teams like RCSA and TAC might be too competitive for your boys' current level. It's also only about 2-3 weeks before summer schedules start.

Look here for one close to you: Tarheel Swimming Association

Old 04-24-2011, 10:44 PM

600 posts, read 1,220,932 times
We go through Raleigh Parks and Rec and it is perfect for us! My son was not a strong swimmer at all, actually he couldn't even swim a full lap by himself, but he was not getting better with once a week swim lessons and another mom suggested swim team. We signed him up and it was just as you described, 3 times per week, lots of instruction, they do have swim meets with ribbons and stuff but it was not competitive where my son felt bad about not being a great swimmer (actually, he thought he was a great swimmer). The main instructor was so fabulous and patient and wonderful so we have signed up for another year. Not sure if they have anything close to your area, but you can check here RecLink : Activities

Old 04-24-2011, 10:56 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Try joining a neighboring communities swim club that participates in the TSA season (click here for a list). It's very low pressure on the kids, it's inexpensive and it's a great way to make new friends in the area as the swim meets tend to be pseudo-social events for the parents.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:09 PM

Default thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Try joining a neighboring communities swim club that participates in the TSA season (click here for a list). It's very low pressure on the kids, it's inexpensive and it's a great way to make new friends in the area as the swim meets tend to be pseudo-social events for the parents.
From the list you provided, I was not able to identify one in my neighborhood. I am in Morrisville, there might be clubs under a different name that I am just too new to know.
Also I to join those clubs? I was not able to find details(locations, fee, schedules) of those clubs. I heard Summer swim programs are filled up soon in this area. I don't want to miss for another season/year.
Thanks.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:14 PM

Default Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellsd View Post
We go through Raleigh Parks and Rec and it is perfect for us! My son was not a strong swimmer at all, actually he couldn't even swim a full lap by himself, but he was not getting better with once a week swim lessons and another mom suggested swim team. We signed him up and it was just as you described, 3 times per week, lots of instruction, they do have swim meets with ribbons and stuff but it was not competitive where my son felt bad about not being a great swimmer (actually, he thought he was a great swimmer). The main instructor was so fabulous and patient and wonderful so we have signed up for another year. Not sure if they have anything close to your area, but you can check here RecLink : Activities
This is kinda what I am looking for. I checked the office and the pools seem a little far from us. I will keep looking and decide whether to use it.

Thanks.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:42 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Check out Silverton in morrisville, they have an excellent summer swim team. Summer swimteam is really fun, the kids learn and practice a lot and there is no pressure like you will find with the tear round competitive teams!

Old 04-25-2011, 09:44 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Sorry, it's actually called River Rock now! And the address is Cary, but it's 2 miles from m'ville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary