Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 10:14 AM

106 posts, read 175,369 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I've been reading and going through these threads for quite some time and have gotten some great and useful information thanks to you all.

I am planning on visiting Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham, (to explore and get a feel of these cities) the week of 4/17/2011 with my teen son. I will be staying 3 days in Charlotte and 3 days in the Raleigh/Durham area (not sure yet of which one I will be visiting first.

I wanted to get some input from you folks on things to see and do. Are there any events/attractions going on during this week?

My son loves sports and I enjoy festivals, museum, live music. Also, what would be a safe good affordable hotel (near entertaintment) to stay in?

What about neighborhoods? The type of neighborhood I am interested in are:

Communtity activities, good school location, walkable, near shopping or grocery stores but safe as well.

I will also be posting this in the Charlotte forum as well.

I appreaciate any feedback you all can provide me with. Thanks a bunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 03:02 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,100,766 times
Here's the calendar for April 2011 for events held at the NC fairgrounds. There is always a large flea market there as well as the events listed. That weekend, you can go to a boat show, Turkish festival, horse show...

NCDA&CS - N.C. State Fair Division

Here's a nice Raleigh link that divides activities into which kind of visitor you are:

http://www.visitraleigh.com/somuchtosee/

Old 12-09-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Here's the calendar for April 2011 for events held at the NC fairgrounds. There is always a large flea market there as well as the events listed. That weekend, you can go to a boat show, Turkish festival, horse show...

NCDA&CS - N.C. State Fair Division

Here's a nice Raleigh link that divides activities into which kind of visitor you are:

Greater Raleigh has So Much to See! | visitRaleigh.com
Thanks LB for this helpful information. I will be heading down from Massachusetts and is still a bit cool as far as weather during this time here. How is the weather down in Raleigh during this time? just want to get an idea on what to wear and bring. Thanks again

Old 12-09-2010, 04:58 PM

The most surprising thing about spring weather in Raleigh to me is that usually on the first day of spring -- it FEELS and LOOKS like the first day of spring! That was a shocker; up North, it looks like "spring" in mid-May.

I'd just bring a jacket and maybe a small umbrella. It's very comfortable in the spring in Raleigh. You can breathe....unlike in summer. Everything is in bloom, too.

I sent you a PM with a link to some photos taken in Raleigh in mid-April a couple of years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1130 View Post
Thanks LB for this helpful information. I will be heading down from Massachusetts and is still a bit cool as far as weather during this time here. How is the weather down in Raleigh during this time? just want to get an idea on what to wear and bring. Thanks again

Old 12-10-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
The most surprising thing about spring weather in Raleigh to me is that usually on the first day of spring -- it FEELS and LOOKS like the first day of spring! That was a shocker; up North, it looks like "spring" in mid-May.

I'd just bring a jacket and maybe a small umbrella. It's very comfortable in the spring in Raleigh. You can breathe....unlike in summer. Everything is in bloom, too.

I sent you a PM with a link to some photos taken in Raleigh in mid-April a couple of years ago.
Beautiful pictures. Thanks. What about suggestions on good affordable hotels (hopefully near attractions)? Thanks again

Old 12-10-2010, 12:48 PM

If I were you, I would try to find someone you know who is really good at Priceline. (My sister does it for me; she's amazing.) If you can't find anyone, you should read up on how to do use it in the most effective way.

I would try to get the highest-star hotel I could find in Cary. Unfortunately, you have to bid on a hotel before you know which one it is. Once you pay for it, you pay for it; there are no refunds. But it can be well worth it in savings.

There is a website where people share their results with Priceline and gives tips on how to use it. I'll DM you the URL. Someone last week paid just $43 a night at an Extended Stay place on Regency Parkway in Cary. Not bad at all.

Cary is pretty convenient to wherever you'd want to go in the Triangle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1130 View Post
Beautiful pictures. Thanks. What about suggestions on good affordable hotels (hopefully near attractions)? Thanks again

Old 12-11-2010, 07:59 AM

Thank you

Old 04-11-2011, 09:48 AM

So the time has finally come. I will be in Raleigh this Wednesday (4/13/11). I will be arriving late afternoon/early evening. Looking for suggestion on things to do in Raleigh this wednesday evening (after 5PM). Thanks everyone

Old 04-11-2011, 10:56 AM

In Raleigh, I'd walk around North Hills (on Six Forks Road near the beltline). There's a movie theater. Restaurants. Shops. Candy shop near the hotel. North Hills Raleigh - Shopping, Dining, Movies and Events Spring Rolls is good if you like Asian food, and Firebirds is good if you like steak.

Then I'd drive over to Lafayette Village. The picture they have on their website makes it look huge. It's tiny tiny tiny. But it's new. Maybe have dinner at North Hills and then dessert at Layfayette Village. Lafayette Village ~ North Raleigh, NC

But that's just me.

Here's a list of events in the area this week, but I don't see anything for Wednesday. http://eventful.com/raleigh/events

Going to a Durham Bulls game is fun, but they are playing out of town on Wednesday.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 04-11-2011 at 11:15 AM..

Old 04-11-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
In Raleigh, I'd walk around North Hills (on Six Forks Road near the beltline). There's a movie theater. Restaurants. Shops. Candy shop near the hotel. North Hills Raleigh - Shopping, Dining, Movies and Events Spring Rolls is good if you like Asian food, and Firebirds is good if you like steak.

Then I'd drive over to Lafayette Village. The picture they have on their website makes it look huge. It's tiny tiny tiny. But it's new. Maybe have dinner at North Hills and then dessert at Layfayette Village. Lafayette Village ~ North Raleigh, NC

But that's just me.

Here's a list of events in the area this week, but I don't see anything for Wednesday. Raleigh Events & Concerts | Upcoming Events in Raleigh-Durham (Fayetteville), NC - Eventful

Going to a Durham Bulls game is fun, but they are playing out of town on Wednesday.
Thanks lovebrentwood. North Hills is actually one of the places on my list to visit. Dinner, dessert and a good movie sounds good after a long trip I will be in Raleigh on 4/13 & 4/14, then heading down to Charlotte the 15th and 16th, and then back up to Raleigh on the 17th til the 19th. I'm going to be exploring neighborhoods but want to queeze in some fun and enternaintment as well. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary