Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 08:52 PM

2,904 posts, read 5,909,304 times

Advertisements

Some of you asked for details on my add-on garage project. After working with a fantastic general contractor (Joseph Grantham Custom Homes) who completely re-built my deck, added a screened porch, and then finished off 3/4 of my basement, I was so impressed that I knew he was "the one" to do my dream shop/garage.

After working on a big project with us before, he also gave us an offer we couldn't refuse on his overhead and profit margins so we took the plunge on it. Here are the details as best I can remember them:

Building Details
  • Roughly 23x27 with full basement underneath
  • 13 foot ceiling
  • Fully insulated
  • Matches house exactly, down to original brick (had to be found and brought in from the midwest, as it's a discontinued model)
  • 3 sides brick, rear is siding to match rear of house
  • Plenty of double hung windows
  • Basement is framed for a bathroom - to finish later for pool/cabana usage
  • Hot and cold water inside garage and also at outside hose spigot
  • Parking deck is supported by 7-9" thick 5000psi concrete (with rebar 12" OC) on top of 18 gauge corrugated steel plate, which is then supported by three 12" steel I-beams that themselves are supported by three 4" diameter steel columns, welded together and then bolted to the floor of the basement.
  • Six foot double door entry to basement allows storage of very large items
  • 18x8 overhead door on front is set up on "high lift" tracks meaning it hugs the ceiling when it opens, allowing me to keep a vehicle at max lift height and still open/close the door
  • Heated and cooled with 18,000 BTU Shinco mini-split aircon
  • 110V/220V service
  • Air compressor lines plumbed - compressor is in main house basement but wired to switch inside shop so I can turn it on remotely and not hear the noise - it's completely silent from the shop! Two outlets - one on wall near man door for service to other garage and one on 50' hose reel mounted on ceiling near lift post
  • Large double basin sink with laundry faucet/sprayer allows for large parts to be easily cleaned or just general clean-up after messy jobs
  • 20mil thick epoxy floor on top of concrete
  • 20A outlets every 2-3 feet along all walls
  • Integrated security system with main house system
  • Liftmaster 3800 door opener means no center beam (mounts to shaft directly) and very quiet operation plus built-in deadbolt and security
  • Total of 20 2-bulb 4 foot long T8 fluourescent fixtures on 2 switches for max lighting (4100K)
  • Several undercabinet lights
  • Countertops (to be installed by Friday) will be at around 41-42" height, perfect for working while standing
  • Upper cabinets are 16" deep (compared to standard 12" kitchen cabs) and 48" tall
  • Corner "L" shaped work area for my wife's sewing hobby with custom corner shelves and large "fabric drawer"
  • Challenger VS-10 auto lift
  • In-wall speaker wiring, coax, and CAT6 ethernet
  • Large canister "central vac" style vac for clean up

Photos to date:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 09:00 PM

98 posts, read 231,346 times
Jealous!

Old 04-26-2011, 09:14 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,899,725 times
Beautiful. Looks like the house we just left in Atlanta. I always look for how well addition blends with the house and this is great. Did you have to go thru HOA for a bunch of approvals? How long did it take from start to finish? AC?
Congrats.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Beautiful. Looks like the house we just left in Atlanta. I always look for how well addition blends with the house and this is great. Did you have to go thru HOA for a bunch of approvals? How long did it take from start to finish? AC?
Congrats.
I submitted detailed engineering plans, front elevation, and relevant material details to the HOA. They met, called me with questions, and approved with no difficulty.

I believe we broke ground for this in late May or early June 2010 and the structure was complete in early September. Then I did epoxy floor, electrical, lighting, air compressor, etc etc. and the last few pics above were only taken yesterday. So it's still in progress....and will never be "done" I suspect, but it's 99%. I've used the auto lift a LOT already - I had it insulated since late last year so I could work out there all winter, but the niceties are just coming now.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:46 AM

662 posts, read 1,640,279 times
Wow, you are Getting Things Done! Looks great - and I love the baby footprint!

Old 04-27-2011, 07:40 AM

9,134 posts, read 14,706,120 times
This makes me excited in a way I probably can't say here!

Love the lift right in the middle of the high ceiling. Like a cathedral to tinkering.

Light Tan bricks are definitely hard to find around here.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
This makes me excited in a way I probably can't say here!

Love the lift right in the middle of the high ceiling. Like a cathedral to tinkering.

Light Tan bricks are definitely hard to find around here.
Oh no, I don't want to tell my neighbor you said that. He keeps making fun of me because I am making the shop look nice instead of only being functional and no more, so he calls it the cathedral.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:06 AM

374 posts, read 1,179,695 times
OMG that is a thing of beauty! I am so jealous! Very nicely done. I love the look of the lift with the windows right behind it.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:09 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,230,232 times
That is awesome. Thanks for sharing those excellent pics.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:43 AM

804 posts, read 2,000,309 times
nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary