Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 08:49 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baaadgoatjoke View Post
Durham-lite? Sounds like a compliment.

I wasn't meaning it as an insult. I just find it amusing that people who wouldn't dare live in Durham are all over West Cary like flies on a turd.

I would much rather live in a nice, convenient neighborhood in Durham than live in West Cary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
The mailman gives us nasty grams in our neighborhood but usually does give us the mail too. He also will just knock trash cans around with his truck if they are in the way.

Maybe he should get a big old battering ram on the front of his mail truck.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:53 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Yeah. I have to admit that I'm puzzled as to why anyone would wanna live in West Cary. I have ZERO desire to live in Cary Park, Cameron Pond, Weycroft, Highcroft, etc. ZERO.

It's pretty much Durham light... that is to say, minus the rep that Durham has that isn't necessarily founded in truth... but, there ya go.
Proximity to the western side of RTP, not wanting to have to deal with I40 traffic to get into RTP, patience to wait for the rest of the commercial development to come to the area (Alston Ridge), convenient if you work in chapel hill or downtown Durham and don't want to or can't afford to live in Durham/Orange counties, great schools - at least at the elementary/middle level.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:54 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
The appeal of West Cary is the proximity to RTP. Funny how Morrisville has become West Cary! YEARS ago, no one wanted to live there due to the airport being there and really...there was no town. Morrisville was just the airport and industry...very little residential.

However, as Cary has grown and moved into Morrisville, people are beginning to notice that the commute from Cary proper to RTP is not the 20 minutes it USED to be!

People are smarter...why not live within 10 minutes of your home and work. Why spend an hour commuting back and forth? Especially for my clients with kids, they WANT to be home at dinnertime.

Nothing wrong with Cary, nothing wrong with West Cary, nothing wrong with South Cary, etc., etc., etc. Choices are wonderful and we are truly lucky in this area, that we have them!

Vicki (the positive person)...LOL

Old 04-28-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Proximity to the western side of RTP, not wanting to have to deal with I40 traffic to get into RTP, patience to wait for the rest of the commercial development to come to the area (Alston Ridge), convenient if you work in chapel hill or downtown Durham and don't want to or can't afford to live in Durham/Orange counties, great schools - at least at the elementary/middle level.

I really don't like it because it's generally devoid of mature trees, all of them having been mowed down to build the place up. It's not that the homes aren't attractive... they are. I just don't get a good vibe off the place.

I'm a tree person. I suspect I may be an elf or something.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
The appeal of West Cary is the proximity to RTP. Funny how Morrisville has become West Cary! YEARS ago, no one wanted to live there due to the airport being there and really...there was no town. Morrisville was just the airport and industry...very little residential.

However, as Cary has grown and moved into Morrisville, people are beginning to notice that the commute from Cary proper to RTP is not the 20 minutes it USED to be!

People are smarter...why not live within 10 minutes of your home and work. Why spend an hour commuting back and forth? Especially for my clients with kids, they WANT to be home at dinnertime.

Nothing wrong with Cary, nothing wrong with West Cary, nothing wrong with South Cary, etc., etc., etc. Choices are wonderful and we are truly lucky in this area, that we have them!

Vicki (the positive person)...LOL

LOL! You are a little Merry Sunshine, Vicki.

I'd never live out near Lochmere. That's too much of a commute. I like being in my little area of Cary (near Lake Crabtree/Preston). Easy to hit 40 or Davis Drive and get into RTP with minimal fuss, then come home to an area that's closer to everything and is full of big, lovely TREES!

Old 04-28-2011, 09:00 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCarolinaGuy View Post
So what's up with all the Cary bashers? Is it a local thing? It has everything we want and sounds like a great place to start a family. So why all the hating on Cary?
the word i'd pick is 'sterile'

like a hospital or dentists office.

not that there's anything wrong with living in a dentists office.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
the word i'd pick is 'sterile'

like a hospital or dentists office.

not that there's anything wrong with living in a dentists office.

My dentist has a really homey sort of office. Full of tech gadgets. It reminds me of my house. LOL!

Old 04-28-2011, 09:10 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Quote:
LOL! You are a little Merry Sunshine, Vicki.

I'd never live out near Lochmere. That's too much of a commute. I like being in my little area of Cary (near Lake Crabtree/Preston). Easy to hit 40 or Davis Drive and get into RTP with minimal fuss, then come home to an area that's closer to everything and is full of big, lovely TREES!
I consider that area part of West Cary!

Old 04-28-2011, 09:11 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Quote:
I really don't like it because it's generally devoid of mature trees, all of them having been mowed down to build the place up. It's not that the homes aren't attractive... they are. I just don't get a good vibe off the place.

I'm a tree person. I suspect I may be an elf or something.
Agreed, no mature trees - but that is a side effect of new construction. My neighborhood was a farm/field/meadow before they turned it into houses so it didn't have many mature trees on the property anyway. There are times I would like more land with more established landscaping, then every time I talk about moving somewhere that would have that the wife and kids complain how they don't want to change schools, move away from friends, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary