Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 09:24 PM

25 posts, read 51,064 times

Advertisements

I visited Raleigh for the first time last month. I'm a single guy and my sister is insisting for me to move there. I'm originally from Florida. I liked the scenery of nature, the houses, and the people manners, but I found it too dead or boring for me. Most everyone in Raleigh are married with children. I felt out of place, for I am not considering marriage or children any time soon. Is there a place around Raleigh where there is diversity of all sorts? I also liked the low rent. I am seeking a change from living all my life in South Florida, and did initially feel that NC was the place for me, and also the weather. How is the economy there? In Florida it's really bad. Thank you so much for any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 10:11 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Let's see: You have stated that you do not find it somewhere you wish to come, and the only thing causing you to consider it is:
Quote:
my sister is insisting for me to move there.
Why is she "insisting" that you move here? Does she have to pay your bills? Will she provide you with a social life?

Look through the messages and you'll find lots of posts from people who moved here either sight unseen, or from one visit, because someone "insisted that they move here". Many of those people ended up moving back where they came from since it wasn't THEIR choice to move here, but someone else's "insistance".

Again, why is your sister "insisting" that you move here? Is it for her own personal benefit? Since you ask about the economy, I presume you would be coming here with no job lined up--is she going to support you until you do? (The economy here is so-so, better than some places, but not someone you should move to just because of that, because it's not one of the "booming economies" in the country. I think the issue here is her, not the city (unless there is something you haven't mentioned, such as someone in poor health needing your assistance, etc). Nobody should move ANYWHERE without a job unless they have personally weighed the pros and cons and decided it's for them, not what a relative says.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:50 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSM View Post
I visited Raleigh for the first time last month. I'm a single guy and my sister is insisting for me to move there. I'm originally from Florida. I liked the scenery of nature, the houses, and the people manners, but I found it too dead or boring for me. Most everyone in Raleigh are married with children. I felt out of place, for I am not considering marriage or children any time soon. Is there a place around Raleigh where there is diversity of all sorts? I also liked the low rent. I am seeking a change from living all my life in South Florida, and did initially feel that NC was the place for me, and also the weather. How is the economy there? In Florida it's really bad. Thank you so much for any responses.
Raleigh is not So. FL, but that is a good thing. The economy is so-so, so unless you can bum housing at your sister's, don't come without a job. Many areas of Raleigh are mostly families, but other areas have younger, single, diverse, college student populations - mostly closer to downtown Raleigh - maybe other areas of the triangle too that I don't know about yet (moved here about a yr ago)

Old 04-27-2011, 04:40 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,939,088 times
Quote:
Most everyone in Raleigh are married with children.
Seriously? Suggest you get out a little more. Try area's around Chapel Hill or downtown Raleigh

Old 04-27-2011, 05:58 AM

447 posts, read 1,619,590 times
I must be the only unmarried woman with no children in Raleigh who can always find fun stuff to do all over the Triangle with a diversified group of people.

Or that's my impression from someposts with all the assumptions about Raleigh being boring with only white people and no single guys/gals.

Trust me, this place is great. But don't move here without a job! At least you've got family in the area for support if you do move.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:21 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,742 times
I moved here after spending the majority of my life in S. FL, and I don't really miss it at all. Unless you are into the Miami Beach club scene, there are lots of things going on in Raleigh to keep single, childless people occupied. And in many cases, entertainment options are less expensive here.

You will, however, want to avoid living in the suburbs and instead live closer to walkable areas to be around other singles. I grew up in a suburb of Miami, and think that a suburb is a suburb no matter where you are - you still have to drive to get to anything. When I lived in a walkable neighborhood in South Miami, life was much more interesting because I didn't have to get in my car and fight traffic whenever I wanted to do something fun. The same goes here.

I would look into downtown Raleigh or Durham. I live in downtown Raleigh and love being able to walk to restaurants, bars, and festivals.

The economy here is more stable than it is in FL, but you still probably need to have a job lined up before you move. There are a lot of people out of work across the country, including this area.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:22 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,180,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighkc View Post
I must be the only unmarried woman with no children in Raleigh who can always find fun stuff to do all over the Triangle with a diversified group of people.

Or that's my impression from someposts with all the assumptions about Raleigh being boring with only white people and no single guys/gals.

Trust me, this place is great. But don't move here without a job! At least you've got family in the area for support if you do move.
No, you're not. I think some people are simply unaware of the s
TONS of stuff that goes on here--even a few folks born and raised here.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:58 AM

I'm not a club or bar hopper. It's that in South Florida (Ft. Lauderdale), everything is so close to you, like the shopping areas, parks, and entertainment. Maybe I just have this impression of NC because I was mostly in the Fuquay-Varina area, even though I went to downtown Raleigh, but for only a few hours one day. Yes, about the job. I'm currently on unemployment. It's been very difficult now to land a job in Florida. I'm thinking that I still have a little cushion to give me some time to find employment in NC, if I decide to move there.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:16 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
Quote:
I'm not a club or bar hopper. It's that in South Florida (Ft. Lauderdale), everything is so close to you, like the shopping areas, parks, and entertainment. Maybe I just have this impression of NC because I was mostly in the Fuquay-Varina area, even though I went to downtown Raleigh, but for only a few hours one day. Yes, about the job. I'm currently on unemployment. It's been very difficult now to land a job in Florida. I'm thinking that I still have a little cushion to give me some time to find a employment in NC, once I decide to move there.
You can live in plenty of places around here that are close to everything. Don't let that stop you.

I'd worry more about being unemployed. Make sure that your unemployment money from FL won't get a COLA if you move here.

What's your line of work?

Old 04-27-2011, 11:43 AM

Yes, thanks for bringing it up, meh_whatever! What happens to my unemployment benefits from Florida if I were to move to NC? My presumption is that it continues until I find a job soon. My line of work is in the insurance industry. I am a claims adjuster for workers compensation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary