Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 05:57 AM

205 posts, read 487,490 times

Advertisements

The OP's original question was never answered. Does anyone know where clumping bamboo can be purchased locally? I'm considering for pots, so no need for a debate on whether or not clumping bamboo is good for the yard.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 12:52 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
I'd try these people.

Nursery - Brightside Bamboo - Bamboo nursery, poles, containment, removal, management, and everything else bamboo.

I read about them last year and they seemed to know their stuff. Their website lists clumping bamboo.

I think these are the same people. For some reason, I thought they were in Durham last year and at the Raleigh Farmer's Market at certain times. But can find no mention of this today.

Brightside Bamboo, Durham NC | YardSprout

I love bamboo. Need to put in barriers for certain kinds because first it sleeps, then it creeps, then it leaps. But it's gorgeous and requires really very little care for a whole lot of privacy. Plus, you can the shoots and so forth.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:32 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfishGumbo View Post
The OP's original question was never answered. Does anyone know where clumping bamboo can be purchased locally? I'm considering for pots, so no need for a debate on whether or not clumping bamboo is good for the yard.

Thanks!
Does invasive bamboo do okay in pots? Just wondering.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:42 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,179,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
After 40+ years of gardening experience and degree in horticulture, I have to say there is not a non invasive bamboo. yeah I've seen some garden shows talk about it and you will find ads for it in garden magazines but eventually it will spread. In Atlanta I bought some non invasive bamboo and planted it still in the pot for more control but within 2 years it was definitely on it's way to taking over. And bamboo is so hard to get rid of that it seems like a no brainer just to never plant it in the first place.
THIS. Read it, meditate on it, absorb it, embrace it.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:25 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,952,476 times
You can buy fargesia at both Atlantic Avenue nursery and Plant Delights, depending on where you live. You have nothing to fear from clumpers; it's the running type that needs restraint. I have a variegated running bamboo that's been very happy in a large pot on my porch for about five years now.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:42 PM

205 posts, read 487,490 times
Thanks for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary