Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 04:24 AM

420 posts, read 1,397,086 times

Advertisements

We looked at both Garner and Clayton. We chose Clayton due to the schools. From our house in Clayton (beautiful, 1 1/2 acres, backyard bordered on all sides by forest, $15,000) to Morriseville where dh works is about 45 minutes commute. He doesn't mind this at all.

From our house we can get to White Oaks shopping center in Garner (Target, Michaels, Pier One, movie theater, resturaunts, Dicks etc...) in under 15 minutes. We live in Clayton, shop in Garner...and love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 05:28 AM

850 posts, read 3,624,898 times
We relocated from NJ to Clayton last summer. We looked everywhere including Garner and settled on Clayton. Not sure what anyone is talking about with the "no shopping" comments as there is plenty of it. There are areas that are def country but we love it. We travel the 12-15 minutes through pastures, cows, goats, horses,etc.....to get to the stores (there are some closer but we don't prefer them).

I'd say that its all about what you want and what you're willing to deal with. My dh commutes to the RTP as well and he doesn't mind the commute because he gets to come home to our dream house.

I'm guessing you'll have to come a little further out from Raleigh (in any direction) to get that under $200k price for what you want. Be careful with the Garner section that is directly SE of Raleigh, I've heard there is crime there but do not know first hand (was told to avoid it by locals).

The closer to 40 you are, the shorter your commute will be. We live in the Archer Lodge section of Clayton and it takes about 15 min to get to 40, then its another 30 minutes to get to RTP.

Good luck!
Lauren

Old 08-02-2007, 06:18 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,112 times
Actually, I posted some pictures of all the great shopping places in Clayton/Garner. I think its the first or second thread..its in there!

Shopping? In Clayton/Garner?
I think the only thing missing that I personally would have to complain about is the lack of an AC Moore. Sure, there's Michaels but the closet AC Moore is in Raleigh, about a 20 minute drive.

Other than that, we pretty much have everything else!

Happy shopping!
~Heather~

Old 08-02-2007, 06:23 AM

I'm holding my breath for a Whole Foods. Gonna email them too, as the last time I did that, they emailed me back with a new store opening that wasn't listed on their site....RIGHT where I wanted it! Hoping that lightening strikes twice and the same happens here. So where do we want them to put a Whole Foods?

Lauren

Old 08-02-2007, 07:23 AM

892 posts, read 3,160,306 times
hey lauren, just have them boot food lion outta any of their existing storefronts please!

Old 08-02-2007, 07:37 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
I am moving from out of state to a development that is close to 42/40. I find that it is a very easy commute to everywhere we want to go. We can get to the glorious Cary in short order and get to more shopping with ease and with more being added it seems like by the hour. Housing is very nice and a greater value. I agree with those who ask after 10 hours of work what do you want to come home to? Weekends?

Old 08-02-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by playnice View Post
hey lauren, just have them boot food lion outta any of their existing storefronts please!
I agree..we have a Food Lion right up the street from us and I hate it. We drive the extra few minutes to Lowe's food.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
I agree..we have a Food Lion right up the street from us and I hate it. We drive the extra few minutes to Lowe's food.
I'm in Lowes all the time! We probably pass each other..lol.

Playnice, I'd LOVE that to happen. I would love the Flowers SC they are building at 42/Buffalo road to have a Whole Foods but I'll settle for a Lowes (with their ever growing natural/organic foods line) or even a Kroger. One thing to be thankful for is that because there is a Food Lion a couple miles up the road, it most likely will NOT be another Food Lion.

Though I'm guessing best shot for a Whole Foods will be on 70 since Claytonites on both sides of 70 will have easy access.

Lauren

Old 08-02-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren4521 View Post
I'm in Lowes all the time! We probably pass each other..lol.

Playnice, I'd LOVE that to happen. I would love the Flowers SC they are building at 42/Buffalo road to have a Whole Foods but I'll settle for a Lowes (with their ever growing natural/organic foods line) or even a Kroger. One thing to be thankful for is that because there is a Food Lion a couple miles up the road, it most likely will NOT be another Food Lion.

Though I'm guessing best shot for a Whole Foods will be on 70 since Claytonites on both sides of 70 will have easy access.

Lauren
I'll start wearing my "City-Data-Forum-Rules" shirt. That way you will know it's me!

OH man..Wholes Food..that would be a dream!!! Or even Earth Fare. Either one. Something healthy and anything but another dreary Food Lion!

Old 08-02-2007, 12:34 PM

615 posts, read 1,502,889 times
We're moving from NJ next week to the Clayton area and I am already trying to figure out ways to move a WAWA with us!! I will REALLY miss their coffee/cappacino!(HATE Dunkin Donuts).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary