Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 05:13 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
I live about 8 miles from Duke East Campus. The only internet I can get is through a wireless company (we use cricket... as crappy (slow by dsl or rr standards) as it is, it is the most logistical choice)

I live on a road that has 12 houses, five of which are more than 300 yards from 'the pole".... you gessed it, TWC will not extend service to us. We cannot use Frontier because our interchange switiching station is obsolete.

Are there any other options? We have tried MiFi (used up the alloted usage in 5 days) and the 'free' trial ened up costing us 75.00 even though we retuned the system after the 5 days when we realized it wasn't going to work for us. We have thought of Hughesnet, but they cannot guarrantee they will let us out of a contract if their service doesn't give us improvement over Cricket. I have contacted clear, someone took my information, had to do some research and was going to call me back..... that was about 3 months ago.

In this area, this close to a major university, with this many people, this should not be happening.
Not sure this helps, but TW extended RR to a home in our neighborhood that was to far for them to guarantee service. The owner paid for the drop and had to agree to a best effort service commitment. Might be worth a try.
Otherwise, VzW will roll out 4G LTE in the Triangle fairly soon.

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 05:25 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
[quote=Caleb Longstreet;19046666]
Heck, if you aren't afraid of Magic Jack, why even have a land line? E-911 is pretty good now with all mobile carriers and other than a power loss on a voip line, it's worth the risk.....if you are elderly, there is always life alert anyway...../quote]

Mom and Dad have cell phones, go out to dinner, leave kids with sitter. Sitter's phone dies. How does she contact anyone in an emergency?

Old 05-22-2011, 05:50 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,281,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Not sure this helps, but TW extended RR to a home in our neighborhood that was to far for them to guarantee service. The owner paid for the drop and had to agree to a best effort service commitment. Might be worth a try.
Otherwise, VzW will roll out 4G LTE in the Triangle fairly soon.

Frank
I appriciate the help. When I first moved here (2003) I looked into it. It was going to cost over 2000.00 to run the line. I passed because, quite frankly, I didn't have the funds and my son was young and internet wasn't a priority at that time... dial up did everything we needed to do. Now, however, I can budget more funds, but it is "not an option available at this time" from TWC. I got the 'okay' for installation online, then an email saying sorry, we know we assured you (I explained the whole situation when I made the appt) we could be your ISP, but your home is not servicable... or something to that effect. I tried to call again, but kept getting transfered, leaving voice mails, but no one ever returned my calls.... I just gave up.

I have a friend who contracts for Frontier.... he knows the issue. I am trying to get a petition up so that maybe the 383 interchange can get some decent internet... but even if I get 1000 signatures doesn't guarantee they will update that stupid box out on old #10.

I am now researching the LTE you suggested.... maybe there is hope.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:03 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,059 times
Welcome to Raleigh - the research triangle/high tech capital of the world - - and welcome to TWC - the only cable operator there is - - Just Great

Old 05-23-2011, 07:17 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,900,562 times
My internet speed and connectivity have been AWFUL since Frontier took over for Verizon. Maybe it's a coincidence, but I can't recall a time in the 8 years I had Verizon that the internet connection would randomly go out. Now it's just about every other day, just a minute or two at a time. And the speed.... absolutely awful and I'm old enough that I think DSL is fast.

Count me in the same boat looking for a new provider. But TWC is so notoriously awful, I am open to pretty much any option OTHER than them. What about CenturyLink?

Old 05-23-2011, 09:45 PM

776 posts, read 1,683,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
Welcome to Raleigh - the research triangle/high tech capital of the world - - and welcome to TWC - the only cable operator there is - - Just Great
The only other viable option seems to be AT&T, and AT&T now has data caps on both UVerse and DSL. That probably would not be viable for me, since I stream alot of content. I'm sure TWC will eventually be headed that way also though.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:57 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
[quote=librarySue;19265467]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Heck, if you aren't afraid of Magic Jack, why even have a land line? E-911 is pretty good now with all mobile carriers and other than a power loss on a voip line, it's worth the risk.....if you are elderly, there is always life alert anyway...../quote]

Mom and Dad have cell phones, go out to dinner, leave kids with sitter. Sitter's phone dies. How does she contact anyone in an emergency?
In your particular case, that is the one instance where having a land line/POTS service is valuable. Land Lines/POTS Service/1FB's powered at the Central Office (C/O). However, depending on where you live, I would perhaps check the sitter's phone before I left? Have a back up plan for her prior to leaving? Read: Neighbors.

You are getting down to the 0.001% left in uptime that can be addressed. Question, are you/the subscriber, willing to pay $35, give or take, with taxes, to have it? Doesn't this usually revolve around savings? The consumer wants bulletproof service and yet, can't wait to cut the costs?

Bottom line, it's worth the risk for most. As it turns out, if your cell phone is working/has power, you can usually get a call through. Same with the sitter. This risk will net you about $400 annually in savings.....$4,000 in 10 years........$12,000 in 30 years.......hmmmmmm, has a new look to it, now doesn't it?

Old 06-27-2011, 04:19 PM

5 posts, read 3,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
My internet speed and connectivity have been AWFUL since Frontier took over for Verizon. Maybe it's a coincidence, but I can't recall a time in the 8 years I had Verizon that the internet connection would randomly go out. Now it's just about every other day, just a minute or two at a time. And the speed.... absolutely awful and I'm old enough that I think DSL is fast.

Count me in the same boat looking for a new provider. But TWC is so notoriously awful, I am open to pretty much any option OTHER than them. What about CenturyLink?
Having exactly the same experience since Frontier took over - totally random times the service almost comes to a halt. Fortunately I'm moving out of that house this week.

My new house is in Lochside subdivision (55 & Barbee'ish). I was talking with Duke Power today to have my electric svc transferred to new house and after that was done they offered to handle other service transfers as well. I listened to their pitch and agreed to sign with TWC and arranged install next week. But now regretting it since I agreed to the reg rate of $37.95 for 2mB up which seems really high. I probably could have gotten an intro rate if I had contacted them directly.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:23 PM

122 posts, read 431,687 times
Default Our take on Internet and Phone

We live in SE Cary and want to have high speed internet. TW has fiber up to about 1/4 mile away and then uses a radio frequency link. And it is pretty fast.

We were on Vonage VOI and just recently switched to VOIPO. They had a deal for $7/month with a 24 month contract. We had been paying Vonage $20+/month. When I canceled the Vonage, the deal suddenly went to $12/month. We are remaining with the VOIPO deal. Service seems to be just as good.

We have DISH for the TV.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:54 PM

43 posts, read 80,093 times
Anybody have any experience with Clear? Looks like it's available in the Triangle area (some areas with more options than others)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary