Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 10:14 PM

39 posts, read 209,253 times

Advertisements

Is Time Warner Cable the only option for phone and internet service in the area? My family is moving to Apex next month and TWC rates are more than $30/mo higher than what we pay in Phx for comparable services. I've tried to talk my husband into doing an alternative to traditional phone service, like Vonage or Ooma, but he likes to stick to the old stand bys. Any other options out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 05:14 AM

5,870 posts, read 6,940,842 times
AT&T just rolled out UVerse in the Apex area. They also have DSL. I think you can still get Earthlink ISP (through TWC) and then get Ooma. Not sure if Clear has coverage in this area and FIOS is not available.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:50 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsprstr View Post
Is Time Warner Cable the only option for phone and internet service in the area?
You're probably too young to remember, but there were once these things called "telephone companies" and shocking as it is, they still exist and provide service. For this area, it's mostly AT&T but a few outlying areas have small carriers like Frontier.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:40 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
You're probably too young to remember, but there were once these things called "telephone companies" and shocking as it is, they still exist and provide service. For this area, it's mostly AT&T but a few outlying areas have small carriers like Frontier.
LOL ... I was sorta scratching my head too. I guess I would have considered TW as much as as non traditional phone provider as Vonage is.

So in Apex you'll have ATT (legacy BellSouth) and TW as the main hardwired infrastructure service providers. You can add wireless carriers such as VzW to the mix too.

Frank

Old 05-01-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Lol! I am old enough to remember phone companies, but where we live currently it was a better deal to bundle phone & internet through the cable company. I'll check into AT&T. Thanks!

Old 05-02-2011, 08:47 AM

After doing some research it looks like AT & T offers comparable services at almost half the cost of TWC. Does anyone have any experience with AT & T? How is the service, specifically for internet?

Old 05-02-2011, 09:07 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
if I'm reading the OP right (I've been wrong before)...
the husband wants a real landline phone connection
but he also wants to bundle that phone service contract...
to include cable tv and high speed internet.

TWC is the only game in town for that combination.
In W-S an all three plan costs over $100 per month.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:13 AM

5,870 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
if I'm reading the OP right (I've been wrong before)...
the husband wants a real landline phone connection
but he also wants to bundle that phone service contract...
to include cable tv and high speed internet.

TWC is the only game in town for that combination.
In W-S an all three plan costs over $100 per month.
TWC uses VoIP. I would not consider them a "real landline" aka circuit-switched PSTN connection that works when the power goes out. The only choice there is the monopoly local phone company - AT&T.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:28 AM

735 posts, read 1,583,899 times
If he is against Vonage, MagicJack, and other VOIPs I doubt he will care for TWC either. We do not use a landline or VOIP connect. I prefer TWC (for internet and TV) over AT&T but AT&T does have traditional land line service where TWC is only VOIP.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:48 PM

379 posts, read 959,043 times
We dumped TWC phone servive 2 yrs ago & switched to Magic Jack. If your not familiar Google it to watch a short video on the product.

The device cost us 440 w/the first years phone service for free. (local & Long Distance) thereafter, its $20/yr for our phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary