Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 09:05 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,767 times

Advertisements

I find the fertilization piece to be better handled myself, especially in the case of warm season grass (bermuda). I can buy the right products from Lesco and apply them properly and at the right times less expensively than paying any service.
I follow a schedule I found online called the 'Bermuda Bible'. It was written by a man who used to own a sod farm.
Most lawn services appear to be focused on Fescue as it is a higher margin grass to maintain with aerating/overseeding etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 09:06 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,612 times
Yep, I did not get the results with Fescue I was hoping for this year, the summertime just destroyed it. Going to switch to Zoysia.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:44 PM

3 posts, read 61,204 times
Anybody heard of Eastern Turf Maintenance? I get the cheapest rates from TruGreen but I am skeptical based on the reviews and the fact that they are a large company and there is no one person who might be answerable.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:55 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdotslash View Post
Anybody heard of Eastern Turf Maintenance? I get the cheapest rates from TruGreen but I am skeptical based on the reviews and the fact that they are a large company and there is no one person who might be answerable.
I started with TruGreen this summer and have one tech responsible for my lawn. So far so good. I have previously done it myself and or used a small company. I got the best results myself but age and bad shoulders have put me on the DL list.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I started with TruGreen this summer and have one tech responsible for my lawn. So far so good. I have previously done it myself and or used a small company. I got the best results myself but age and bad shoulders have put me on the DL list.
Tuborg, do you regret having written this a year ago? You now rank Tru-Green at the bottom of the pit and have cancelled with them and believe everything negative you didn't believe to now be true. Shame on you and run to another asap as you are doing. Perhaps others are and will be happy but you are not one of them anymore.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:36 PM

328 posts, read 767,307 times
Responding to yourself in an interesting fashion, eh?

Old 07-23-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redandorangeskittles View Post
Responding to yourself in an interesting fashion, eh?
Yes I felt a true confession was good for the soul and any future readers of the thread.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:17 AM

104 posts, read 271,621 times
We used Weed Man for a few years but finally cancelled. Big company, one size fits all mentality. Technician was not knowledgable. Misidentified and thus treated problem incorrectly. Lawn looked decent for about two weeks a year. Since we don't have an irrigation system, the service seemed pointless.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:43 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heater454 View Post
We used Weed Man for a few years but finally cancelled. Big company, one size fits all mentality. Technician was not knowledgable. Misidentified and thus treated problem incorrectly. Lawn looked decent for about two weeks a year. Since we don't have an irrigation system, the service seemed pointless.
Ditto. Chalk me up as the third person in a row on this thread who bought into the hype then ultimately the lawn didn't pan out as I'd like (still weeds in areas, severe heat/drought, etc) so I cancelled.

Going to re seed heavily this fall and try again without the lawn service. Seems there were issues regardless of them being there or not, so why pay for it.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Ditto. Chalk me up as the third person in a row on this thread who bought into the hype then ultimately the lawn didn't pan out as I'd like (still weeds in areas, severe heat/drought, etc) so I cancelled.

Going to re seed heavily this fall and try again without the lawn service. Seems there were issues regardless of them being there or not, so why pay for it.
To be honest the problem is they need to be honest. Pre-emergent put down previously begins to breakdown around July 1 and the crab grass begins to take off. They have more customers then they can handle in a timely manner and with the excessive heat and frequent rain their July days have been limited to come out and treat. The problem is they need to be honest and if they won't be out for 3 weeks at best tell you that and if you want you can spot treat to keep the crab grass under control. Misleading you and telling you they will be out when they won't and not returning calls is a problem. Also how many similar lawns are in your general area and is it really worth their time to come from their base and make you a top tier to get done? I have said this all to Tru Green and they never deny it. A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary