Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,604 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to Cary from the Northern NJ/NY area. One of the crucial aspects of my daily life, which I was looking forward on leaving behind, is the traffic. So, what exactly describes 'horrible traffic'? Is it a 30 min or less commute? Or will it still be the same torture I endure now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 08:07 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
Well you don't mention where you'll be commuting to, but it's highly unlikely that you'll experience anything here like back in NJ/NY.

That said, I don't recommend that anyone commute from SW Cary to downtown Durham - it's highly annoying, especially with the ongoing repaving of the Durham Freeway. My commute now is as bad as my worst back in Northern Virginia, and I am not a happy camper!

Old 05-05-2011, 08:13 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
I don't commute by we were on the road 2 weeks ago at what would be the height of rush hour...around 5:30-6 p.m. We were going against the commute and there was practically no one on the road with us. The traffic going the other way was moving right along - decent volume but moving about 55-60 mph.

Like pp said I imagine a lot depends on the roads you take. BUt even driving around the middle of the day is NOTHING like NY/NJ. There are times I am literally the only one on the road, and even in the middle of the day up north, I was stuck in traffic wherever I went.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:21 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
You probably ought to broaden your question to encompass the entire Triangle region, unless you truly intend to never leave the borders of the town of Cary. Traffic, or course, will vary by location and time.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:34 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michpa View Post
So, what exactly describes 'horrible traffic'?
Traffic is the math (the number of vehicles per available lane mile).
Horrible is about how well the drivers deal with that (or not).

Old 05-05-2011, 08:34 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
I think the question was based on a comment in the" Why does everyone rag on Cary thread". Someone specifically said traffic was terrible. I don't really think it is, but I'm not out in west Cary much so maybe I'm wrong. In my part of Cary, traffic is fine. The congestion around Crossroads sucks on the weekends though!

Last edited by lamishra; 05-05-2011 at 09:05 AM..

Old 05-05-2011, 08:57 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I think the question was based on a comment in the" Why does everyone rag on Cary thread". Someone specifically said traffic was terrible. I don't really think it is, but I'm not out in west Cary much so maybe I'm wrong. In my part of Cary , traffic is fine. The congestion around Crossroads sucks on the weekends though!
I'm in West Cary and do not in any way think we have significant traffic except for Rt 55 and Chapel Hill Rd. Commuter traffic on Rt 55, coming home from RTP or Durham is usually quite heavy between 5-6pm, but it moves along fine. It's only 2 lanes each way and needs to be widened IMHO. Also Chapel Hill Rd from Weston Pkway to Cary Parkway is also quite heavy during these hours, but again, this is because it is only 1 lane in each direction! I work in Raleigh now, Wake Forest Rd (about 19 miles from my home). Takes me about 22 minutes to get there in the morning, 40 minutes hom in the evening.

Now, the traffic I mention above is in NO WAY like the traffic I encountered in Providence or Boston.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:05 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
I think it is funny when people complain about the traffic in Cary. In my 6 years here the worst traffic I have ever experienced is when I am travelling on 15 / 501 in Chapel Hill.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:45 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
I'm in West Cary and do not in any way think we have significant traffic except for Rt 55 and Chapel Hill Rd. Commuter traffic on Rt 55, coming home from RTP or Durham is usually quite heavy between 5-6pm, but it moves along fine. It's only 2 lanes each way and needs to be widened IMHO. Also Chapel Hill Rd from Weston Pkway to Cary Parkway is also quite heavy during these hours, but again, this is because it is only 1 lane in each direction! I work in Raleigh now, Wake Forest Rd (about 19 miles from my home). Takes me about 22 minutes to get there in the morning, 40 minutes hom in the evening.

Now, the traffic I mention above is in NO WAY like the traffic I encountered in Providence or Boston.
Agree completely - traffic is not bad in West Cary at all. Sometimes a backup at Carpenter fire station and 55 southbound after work - but there are back roads you can take. The Chapel hill rd traffic is the only thing I would consider marginally bad and that is because of the single lane leading to the Cary Parkway light, where they need (and are building) 3 lanes. Now that Morrisville Pkwy is open all the way from 54 to 55, East-West traffic has gotten much better between West of Hwy 55 through to 54 - no need to get on Morrisville Carpenter Rd.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:31 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Also Chapel Hill Rd from Weston Pkway to Cary Parkway is also quite heavy during these hours, but again, this is because it is only 1 lane in each direction!
I like how backups on a half-mile stretch road are what qualify as contributing to "traffic" here. Regardless, that one should improve with the new Park West development as that stretch of road gets widened.

40 has always backed up around the Wade Avenue exit at rush hour, but they've just widened that, so presumably that's better. Anybody here drive that route regularly at rush hour and can report how that's working out this week?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary