U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 05:20 PM

91 posts, read 170,300 times

Advertisements

So my two small dogs are wearing a path in our yard from one side of the house to the other. I am going to give them the path, but would like to cover up the area to prevent mud. Any ideas on what to put? I don't want to build a path that they will not use, thus creating a second path.

For what its worth, we have clay soil. So I do worry a little about pea gravel simply sinking in and becoming red clay.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 05:43 PM

662 posts, read 1,529,626 times
That's nice of you to give them the path! Hmm... I know some dogs don't like the feel of gravel under their feet. Stepping stones may be too far apart for some little ones, and brick or concrete may look out of place or too formal or get too hot in the sun... Mulch or straw could turn it into a poo path, heh.. Will be interested in seeing what others recommend.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:50 PM

476 posts, read 1,211,253 times
Lowes has a few options for patio paver path. You could also put a flagstone path down with stone or plants between the pavers. You could also do a pea gravel path.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:13 PM

The path is about 35 yards long, but only about a foot wide. It is maybe about 3 feet from our deck, almost like a rainbow in the ground. Would pavers at that location be bizarre? Small pavers? Or Flagstone?

Old 05-10-2011, 05:01 AM

662 posts, read 1,529,626 times
Oh flagstone or pavers with plants between sounds nice! Or even have the grass grow between them - would look more natural that way. Then decorate the borders with monkey grass - my dogs looove the monkey grass!

Is there a way to tie in the path to another larger path? Then it could be used for humans and pups. Another idea: it may look nice from the deck if you planted flowers/bushes inside the "rainbow" and had the dog path with small pavers (and monkey grass of course) as the outer border. (If it's shady inside the rainbow, maybe hostas?)

You may get more responses in the Pets, House, or Gardens forums from people who have done something similar. I'd love to see before/after pics of your project!

Last edited by MrsRhythm; 05-10-2011 at 05:10 AM.. Reason: Organized rambling thoughts

Old 05-10-2011, 06:48 AM

8,613 posts, read 12,847,199 times
I had the same issue and put down Paver stones from Lowes or Home depot. Just get whatever style you like and space them appropriately for your dogs (I just scraped the grass and a bit of dirt off to level them). Ours immediately adjusted to step only on the stones and the grass grew in right away. it's actually pretty funny how natural it seems for them.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:32 AM

7,920 posts, read 9,674,294 times
We had the same problem with our Boston's wearing down the turf(into the clay) along the sides of the fence. We solved the problem by putting down gravel "screenings" or fine gravel. We started with just about an inch over the path. Lowe's even carries it in bags labeled "sand base for laying brick pavers" Just put it down in the path to change the consistency of the soil. It's simple and it helped here tremendously. I keep a little stock pile handy to add as needed. Don't use mortar sand or washed sand. Screenings are grey.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
We had the same problem with our Boston's wearing down the turf(into the clay) along the sides of the fence. We solved the problem by putting down gravel "screenings" or fine gravel. We started with just about an inch over the path. Lowe's even carries it in bags labeled "sand base for laying brick pavers" Just put it down in the path to change the consistency of the soil. It's simple and it helped here tremendously. I keep a little stock pile handy to add as needed. Don't use mortar sand or washed sand. Screenings are grey.
No issue with the paws? How does it hold up during the rain? We hanve no grass in the path anymore - only mud.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I had the same issue and put down Paver stones from Lowes or Home depot. Just get whatever style you like and space them appropriately for your dogs (I just scraped the grass and a bit of dirt off to level them). Ours immediately adjusted to step only on the stones and the grass grew in right away. it's actually pretty funny how natural it seems for them.
Did you use the full square size or the brick size? I have no grass in the path - did you have to reseed or sod..I have thought about resodding it and then putting the paver stones on top of the new sod, but that may be overkill.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:11 AM

7,920 posts, read 9,674,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyVilla View Post
No issue with the paws? How does it hold up during the rain? We hanve no grass in the path anymore - only mud.
No issue with paws....holds up in rain...far better than mud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary