Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 08:04 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times

Advertisements

1) First off, I would like to thank all of you straight men and women for having the compassion and decency to acknowledge that we gay members of society deserve respect, life, love, and the pursuit of happiness just like every one else.

2) In my opinion, we gay people truly only do make up a small portion of the population (about 5-10%). For those people who don't understand why "pride" celebrations are necessary, i.e. black, gay, etc.... you have to try to put yourself those people's shoes. I grew up in Franklin County, never even knowing another gay person, but society did teach me that I was the most despised minority. A pride celebration is nothing more than a brief acknowledgement that we are people too and deserve the same pursuit of happiness that so many take for granted.

3) I've always thought of the outrageous clothes and behaviors exhibited at pride celebrations to be nothing than mocking the stereotypes and gender-based "rules" society so strictly imposes on itself. When you really examine it, they're just clothes made of materials cut into different shapes. Starts to seem pretty silly doesn't it?

4) Any amendment to NC's constitution banning same-sex marriage will be short-lived, because I guarantee you that today's young generation is laughing at all of this and will legalize same-sex marriage eventually. I'll bet they'll elect a gay (or more likely lesbian) president within their lifetimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 09:38 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The most "unusual" thing I saw were a couple of drag queens, which NEVER look good in sunlight.
OK, your bias against our crossdressing segment of the population is showing here. FWIW, the good looking drag queens are never noticed because they "look too good to be drag queens". I have a gay cousin BTW, and he absolutely hate drag queens and trannys. This seems to be true of quite a few gay men. My cousin feels that drag queens and trannys are "trying too hard to fit in with a society that doesn't understand their homosexuality" and he hates them for that. To me, this is a bit strange, because I see trannys, drag queens, and gays as people fighting the same battles. Maybe I'm wrong here?

Old 05-17-2011, 11:48 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
Quote:
To me, this is a bit strange, because I see trannys, drag queens, and gays as people fighting the same battles.
The thing that is strange is to think that one group of people, be they black, white, gay, Asian, Hispanic, whatever, think the same way about the same things.

They don't. They are not all one type of person. They are not a stereotype.

The trait they share -- being human -- also means they are unique and don't share the same views on everything.

But I understand your assumption. We've all been there.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:08 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
The thing that is strange is to think that one group of people, be they black, white, gay, Asian, Hispanic, whatever, think the same way about the same things.

They don't. They are not all one type of person. They are not a stereotype.

The trait they share -- being human -- also means they are unique and don't share the same views on everything.

But I understand your assumption. We've all been there.
This maybe true, but the in-fighting that goes on within black, white, gay, Asian, Hispanic groups etc makes it difficult for any of these groups to demand civil rights and respect as a whole. Like it or not, a demand for civil rights places people in a group. GLBT is a group too. This does not mean that all folks within this group think the same way. However, there is a common theme within members of this (and any) group ("respect us for what it is we are"). In this thread, I saw a poster make a comment about drag queens never looking good in the day light and I felt that was a comment that adds fuel to the anti-gay movement as a whole (whether that poster realized it or not). The entire theme of the anti-gay movement is that "none of it looks good and should not happen openly in society". That's the point I was trying to make. Nothing more, nothing less...

Old 05-18-2011, 12:35 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,158,694 times
He was making a joke, relax...
And architect77, I agree with you. It's an embarrassment to me that they're even attempting to get an amendment passed, but with 57% opposed to it I don't see it getting that far. Hopefully as the generation turnover proceeds, legal discrimination based on misguided religious beliefs will become a distant memory like segregation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary