Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 12:32 PM

166 posts, read 663,879 times

Advertisements

Make sure they give you your iodine pills at closing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 12:56 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
That would be NC Hwy. 55 and New Hill Rd.
I'm sorry, I goofed! The intersection where the garbage dump will be near is actually Hwy. 55 and Old Smithfield Rd. I drove by that area today and realized my mistake. Sorry!

Old 09-15-2007, 01:25 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,190 times
Default Omg! Landfill And Nuclear Reactor!!!!!!!!!!

OMG I went to the Southern Wake Landfill today and you simply would not believe it! OMG!

It didn't smell. Imagine that.

I was in the landfill, dropping off some junk and some motor oil and anti-freeze. In the back there was a little stank, but not bad. Couldn't even smell it near the entrance, let alone outside the landfill.

Then I drove down Holly Springs Rd to the west, past 12 Oaks - you know, the new Jack Nicklaus-designed golf course w/ some houses over $1million - to where the road turns to gravel, all the while heading toward Shearon Harris. I eventually turned away, and glory be to God I wasn't glowing, still had my hair, didn't feel nauseous, truck continued running, and my dog was still stretched out in the back seat snoozing. I didn't see mutated animals either.

Weird, huh?

Old 09-15-2007, 06:59 PM

178 posts, read 1,227,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee-tee View Post
OMG I went to the Southern Wake Landfill today and you simply would not believe it! OMG!

I was in the landfill, dropping off some junk and some motor oil and anti-freeze. In the back there was a little stank, but not bad. Couldn't even smell it near the entrance, let alone outside the landfill.

Then I drove down Holly Springs Rd to the west, past 12 Oaks - you know, the new Jack Nicklaus-designed golf course w/ some houses over $1million - to where the road turns to gravel, all the while heading toward Shearon Harris. I eventually turned away, and glory be to God I wasn't glowing, still had my hair, didn't feel nauseous, truck continued running, and my dog was still stretched out in the back seat snoozing. I didn't see mutated animals either.

Weird, huh?
GEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZ....now everybody will know all the bad stuff being attributed to the "dump" and the "nuc-u-lur" plant is just a bunch of hooey. There goes the neighborhood.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:09 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,154,484 times
Default The dump isnt open yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee-tee View Post

Weird, huh?
I dont believe that the new dump is open yet. What is there isnt even a burial type dump like the one being built. If someone is concerned just go to the north landfill and see how close or far you need to be to smell it and then make your decision. Those 1mil. home will be built before the landfill has enough garbage to smell alot.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:04 PM

29 posts, read 135,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3grls View Post
Make sure they give you your iodine pills at closing.
Are you joking?

Old 09-28-2007, 10:20 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry1 View Post
Are you joking?
He not joking and for those who did receive the last FDA distribution in 2002 should check the expiration of the iodine pills due to they should be expiring and will need to be replaced.

Iodine distribution.
  • to 50 miles. Households within 50 miles of a nuclear plant should receive advance distributions of KI pills. Although the pills are distributed early, they aren't taken unless an accident occurs
  • 50 to 200 miles. Public facilities within 50 to 200 miles of a nuclear plant should have a supply of KI pills to distribute in the event of an accident.
  • More than 200 miles. A national stockpile of KI pills should be kept for all people who live more than 200 miles from a nuclear plant.
If radioiodine is released, your state public health department will issue instructions for what to do. Follow those instructions.

Take the pills within about three hours of exposure. Each KI pill contains enough stable iodine to saturate an adult's thyroid gland for about 24 hours. It takes less than one KI pill to saturate the thyroid gland of a child for that amount of time. Take one dose daily until the risk of radioiodine exposure has been eliminated, which usually happens after you leave the immediate area.
The dose you take depends upon your age. Since KI pills come in only the adult dose of 130 milligrams, you may need to split the tablet to reduce the dose accordingly:
  • Infants to 3 years of age. 16 milligrams (1/8 tablet)
  • Ages 3 to 18. 32 milligrams (1/4 tablet)
  • Adults. 130 milligrams (1 tablet)
  • Pregnant and lactating women. 65 milligrams (1/2 tablet)

Old 09-30-2007, 05:21 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Info on Harris Reactor NRC: Harris 1
NRC: Escalated Enforcement Actions Issued to Reactor Licensees - H

Old 09-30-2007, 09:19 PM

86 posts, read 141,758 times
Default Holly Springs has more than meets the eye, ha

I worked on an environmental assessment conducted off of Bass Lake Road, near a fancy shopping center. There was an old unmarked county landfill located adjacent to our site. Our site was going to be another quick throw together cookie cutter home community.

We were testing for contaminants in the ground water and gas releases from the old landfill. By the way, some "person" owned the property and not the town, wierd don't you think?

You can see the old marked landfill next to bypass 55.

Last edited by workerbeeishere; 09-30-2007 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: Street Name : Either Sunset or Bass, been a few years atleast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary