Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 02:47 PM
MEM MEM started this thread

123 posts, read 405,659 times

Advertisements

Sorry about another thread on the Apex children playing issues but I am one of the parents in Walden Creek trying to get the ordinance against children playing in the street amended. This ordinance also currently prohibits children from riding their bikes on sidewalks which we are trying to get amended as well.

The proposal that is being worked on would amend the ordinance to allow play in "cul-de-sacs", allow children to ride their bikes on sidewalks and would also impose stricter fines on those who leave play equipment in the roads.

If you would like to support this issue please consider attending the next Apex Town Council Meeting on Tuesday May 17th at 7pm. All those in favor will be wearing RED.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 05:58 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
I would hope to never encounter a 14-year old on a bike riding on the sidewalk ... or a 13 year old, or 12 year old .... If you can ride faster than I can walk, you don't belong on the sidewalk.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:48 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I would hope to never encounter a 14-year old on a bike riding on the sidewalk ... or a 13 year old, or 12 year old .... If you can ride faster than I can walk, you don't belong on the sidewalk.
Agreed.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:14 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
Yeah, a 4-8 yr old I could understand, but a teenager - should be riding in the street.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:22 PM

64 posts, read 177,636 times
Bicycle riders don't really seem to belong anywhere: Sidewalks are for walking pedestrians, and about once a month, we get an angry poster writing about how cyclists on the street get in the way and slow their commute. Bicycle lanes seem to be popular, but does every mode of transportation need its own right-of-way?

Old 05-10-2011, 07:24 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEM View Post
Sorry about another thread on the Apex children playing issues but I am one of the parents in Walden Creek trying to get the ordinance against children playing in the street amended. This ordinance also currently prohibits children from riding their bikes on sidewalks which we are trying to get amended as well.

The proposal that is being worked on would amend the ordinance to allow play in "cul-de-sacs", allow children to ride their bikes on sidewalks and would also impose stricter fines on those who leave play equipment in the roads.

If you would like to support this issue please consider attending the next Apex Town Council Meeting on Tuesday May 17th at 7pm. All those in favor will be wearing RED.

Thanks!
All three of those are very common sense oriented, so they are destined for failure. Good idea though.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:32 PM

725 posts, read 1,499,926 times
Quote:
Is that a blanket ban on sidewalk riding? Or are you just talking about housing developments? What about 55, 15-501 or 54, would you want a 12 old in the street?

Old 05-10-2011, 07:36 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,654,067 times
Wow! I hope Cary doesn't restrict me from riding my bike (with toddler trailer attached) on the sidewalk. There is no way I feel safe riding my bike on Cary Parkway. I ride the sidewalk until I get onto the greenway or the bike lane on West Chatham. And runners have no problem passing me and sharing the sidewalk with me.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:39 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I know in NY it is against the Vehicle and Traffic Law to ride a bike on the sidewalk. Sidewalks are for pedestrians. Doesn't mean every street is bike-friendly but that's the way it is. As a licensed NC driver I should know if bicycles are prohibited on sidewalks but I don't .... I imagine it's addressed in the VTL though.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:46 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,830,309 times
A good compromise in my opinion is to allow bicycles on sidewalks but require the cyclist to dismount when crossing paths with a pedestrian. Bicycles don't belong on busy sidewalks like Hillsborough Street or Glenwood South, but I have no problem with a bicycle making use of an empty sidewalk, and in fact occasionally do so myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary