Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 10:01 PM

132 posts, read 444,100 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate to Raleigh from Ca. I was wondering if I could get input on something I have observed. It seems that the Raleigh area is growing much quicker than anticipated and that the area did not plan well. There are overcrowded schools and not enough of them. There is little funding for infrastructure improvements to support the growth. From what I have been reading on this site it sounds like no one wants to pay more $ to fund these projects. I am concerned about the willingness of people to support the growth. No one likes to pay more taxes but if it will improve the schools; people's commute times/lessen traffic, etc, isn't it worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 06:03 AM

310 posts, read 1,713,054 times
More people are moving because of better economy. We have better economy because more companies and cooperation are moving in. More companies mean more business and more corporate tax.
Where the exta corporate tax money is going?
Personally, I don't think the government needs more money. It needs better management. There are a lot of money- beyond your belief- just simply wasted by the government.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:12 AM

648 posts, read 2,974,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE1000 View Post
More companies mean more business and more corporate tax.
Where the extra corporate tax money is going?
Ooh, ooh, I know!! It's out the window as the state gives tax breaks for corporations to move here!

There is certainly a lack of willingness to ante up to pay for infrastructure. No one wants to raise taxes, and we can't seem to get the developers and/or new residents to pay fees to support their impact on the area.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwx View Post
Ooh, ooh, I know!! It's out the window as the state gives tax breaks for corporations to move here!

There is certainly a lack of willingness to ante up to pay for infrastructure. No one wants to raise taxes, and we can't seem to get the developers and/or new residents to pay fees to support their impact on the area.
I understand that the state gives tax breaks for corporations; however this economic trend has started over 7 or 8 years ago. The grace period for many of those companies should have expired already.

42% of my pay check is withheld for various taxes and retirement, and I have to pay for property tax, personal property tax, gasoline tax, sales tax, my health insurance, and still paying for school loans.
How much more do I have to pay?

I believe people are already overtaxed, and many are not getting their tax money worth of benefits. Increasing taxes doesn't solve any problems. It only spoils the politician and opens their appetite for more.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:38 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,112,957 times
That's so true. Give them a crack in the door and they'll take all your money.

In this case, we do need growth to pay its way or to go elsewhere.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:01 AM

15,218 posts, read 30,462,071 times
Here's the deal - as long as CA and NJ's taxes are higher they'll keep coming. There are people in NC who are actually duped into thinking there are that many people moving in because there are that many people who want to live in NC. Which is not entirely true. They are moving there because they believe it's cheaper.

The only tax in NC that doesn't suck is the property tax, and they'll have to raise those eventually to take care of the school problems. Your personal level of taxation with motor vehicle fees and such are not worth what you get - poorly constructed/maintained roads all over the place. If it's not federally funded it is falling apart, more often than not.

They voted down light rail. They've got a commuter rail proposal going right now but I don't see how the Triangle is not committed to idling more in traffic.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:21 AM

112 posts, read 490,593 times
How many different taxes are there in N.C.? State tax?

Old 08-03-2007, 10:02 AM

Well let's see....you've got a state income tax that starts at 6%....sales tax is something like 4.5% statewide but you've always got a litany of local sales taxes on top of that which I think can push it upwards of 9% in some locales (it was something like 8-8.25% in Johnston County where I lived). Then you have your usual car inspection/registration fees but you also get a road use tax which is some percentage (3%?) of your car's market value. You will also pay property taxes on your car, boat, trailer, motorcycle, airplane, jetpack, you name it. Apparently there is some kind of registration fee (read: tax) on pets that comes with when you take them to get their rabies shots registered and all. There is going to be a transfer tax on homes now. You are also supposed to pay a "use" tax on anything you buy in another state and bring to use in NC, along with anything you buy on the Internet. I think this is on the *honor system* but the state has come after people for amounts of money that are especially petty given the expense it takes for the state government to go after small claims like these. Just another way the state wastes money in the name of generating money.

Personally, I like having no state income tax if for nothing else, for not having to file another redundant form every April 15.

The taxes all in all are an OK deal if you're the sole breadwinner for your family and you've got to have a big house that would cost bigtime in property taxes elsewhere; but if it's two incomes that's two income taxes and you are more likely to come out shorter than you would in some other states, even some where big houses are still affordable.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Apparently there is some kind of registration fee (read: tax) on pets that comes with when you take them to get their rabies shots registered and all.
Are you seriouse?
I am thinking to get a dog. Do I have to pay taxes for owning a dog?

Old 08-03-2007, 10:19 AM

I think it's more of a "one-time" fee but yes.

Beware also that HOAs are not particularly friendly to dogs and have a lot of restrictions, may require that they are de-barked if they make more noise than they would like etc. So if the government won't tax your dog your HOA might.

I'll move into the Amazon away from people before I de-bark a dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary