Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 01:00 PM

30 posts, read 177,626 times

Advertisements

Looks like I'll be buying in an area that has a HOA of about $500, with 605 residents, it looks like they take in 302,500 a year.

1st question:
========
The pool is not paved in gold, and the shared areas are not extensive... Who is getting all this money?

2nd question:
========
Is it typical that this amout would go up (I know this is probably in some paperwork I have yet to see, just asking generally)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 01:08 PM

515 posts, read 1,716,205 times
yes, they are non-profit. I have been President of mine for two years and was Treasurer for 3 before that.

I thought the exact same thing when I first joined the Board. The money goes towards paying a property management company, paying a pool maintanence company and possible attendants/lifeguards depending on what your contract dictates, paying for landscaping contract, paying for insurance on HOA property. These are just some of the costs associates with a subdivision.

You as a resident will receive a yearly budget that outlines all the expenses and costs. Also, HOA's should always maintain enough money in there reserves to be able to replace thier largest asset. In our case that is our pool, which would cost at least 100k to replace.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:29 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
^^ Good info. I'll add that my HOA (neighborhood of 60 homes) has a decent "reserve" which recently came in handy when one of the neighborhood stormwater BMPS needed to be repaired. Instead of everybody getting an assessment for $75 to fund the repairs the money was taken out of the reserve.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:36 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Our HOA of less than 100 homes runs on a budget of about $90K a year. As pointed out above, that pays for our managment company; accounting and legal services; pool (biggest expense); clubhouse maintenance & cleaning; utilities; playground maintenance; common area maintenance (e.g. mowing); stormwater (rentention ponds) maintenance; insurance; capital reserves; social activities; newletter and website ....

Old 05-12-2011, 06:01 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,245,408 times
Yes, they're non-profit. I manage HOAs and at every HOA annual meeting or at my first meeting with a new Board I hear about how the costs are too high. I then watch as the new board bids all the contracts and finds there is really very little money to be saved unless you cut services. Now, that's not for all HOAs, obviously. But a well-run HOA should already be bidding contracts and watching costs. It's just that your average guy who doesn't have to pay to have 1,000 acres mowed is going to be shocked at what it costs.

The real answer that will help you is to know that as an owner, you have a right to the budget and the financials. So you don't have to ask here "Who is getting all the money?" because you can go to your board and get the budget and the financials, so you can see exactly where the money is going. Then you can volunteer to help out with the board and see it all first-hand! It's really excited and fun. OK, well, that part is pretty much a lie, but you do get to spend your free time working for the HOA while your neighbors complain about your decisions and imply that you're improperly spending HOA funds. (Not saying you did that; it's just something I witness on a daily basis).

Yes, it's typical the amount will go up. The money is being used to pay repairs and maintenance contracts. Those costs go up in general (when's the last time you hired a vendor for the same price, year after year with no increase?) Your overall income for the neighborhood (assuming no new homes are being built) can't go up unless the dues go up.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:32 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Just a reminder that the term "HOA" includes organizations in older, conventional neighborhoods that are purely voluntary and have minimal membership fees. These HOAs exist mainly to provide a political voice for neighborhood concerns and to run social events.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,688 times
Default 501c3

Can they become 501c3s?

Old 02-21-2014, 08:54 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Whether those contracts are going through a legitimate bidding process or are handed off to cronies of board members is another story, however...

Old 02-22-2014, 04:42 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,237,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC101 View Post
Can they become 501c3s?
I do not think this is possible. Here is a link to information.
Our HOA has 700+ homes. Annual budget of $102,000. We pay $45,000/year to management company. OUR HOA Board has talked with several other management companies over the years but never made a change. Many homeowners complain that we do not get our moneys worth from management company. Our annual dues are $137. Our swimming pool, tennis courts and golf course are privately owned and operated within our property and homeowners pay membership fees for golf, swim and tennis.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:57 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
North Carolina Department of the Secretary of State allows you to verify the non-profit status of any North Carolina corporation. Scroll down to "Search by Corporate Name", click, and enter the name of the HOA. If "NP" shows up under Type, it's non-profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary