Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 02:04 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,192,551 times

Advertisements

Have you considered Downing Creek? It's a pool community in the Jordan school district--very close to Chapel Hill, and convenient to 40 for your commute to RTP. my husband works on Aviation Pkwy in Morrisville, and although we live in Durham, he sometimes drives me to work at UNC--his commute from campus to work is about 18 minutes...yours would be shorter from Downing Creek...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 06:22 PM

1,040 posts, read 3,601,450 times
I checked out Brightleaf tonight. Seems pretty far up there for my wife's commute to UNC. I would recommend it though for what I saw. Seems like a great community. They are building a huge clubhouse along with an Elementary school.

We did check out a house or two in Downing Creek. Seemed like Chapel Hill prices in Durham.

I also checked out Kitts Creek after reading something on this website. It did look like a great community, but we have a dog and the lot sizes seemed very small.

Oh well. The process is fun. First we need to sell our house first!

Old 08-03-2007, 09:04 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
My wife and I will be in a similar situation soon when she is done with school. Work at UNC and RTP. Fairfield is one of our top places to look when she's done. It's a great location and from what is on the market now you can get a very nice place for just over 300k. I'm not so sure though that the new homes in there are a great value at the prices.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:20 PM

381 posts, read 1,325,310 times
Default Fester

Fester, I'd also suggest checking out the area around Amberly & Cary Park areas. There are a couple roads going out the back that can also take you to Chapel Hill pretty quickly.

PDX, feel free to wave! If you're going from Barbee to Fayetteville, We'll be on the left.

Mike

Old 08-04-2007, 04:20 AM

285 posts, read 1,039,598 times
FWIW, I talked recently to a friend who lives in the Jordan High district, and has just sent her last kid off to college. She said that Jordan High, while highly rated, was horrifically overcrowded to the point that she pulled her kids out and ended up sending them to Durham School of the Arts, a magnet school near downtown. Both kids flourished there and are both in excellent colleges now. I don't know if anyone else in Durham has had this impression of Jordan High, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

I love Woodcroft and would probably buy a home there if I moved to that section of Durham, but then again, I favor homes built either before 1950 or in the 80's. I'm weird, I guess. The mature trees and trails make the neighborhood seem less "develop-y".

Old 08-04-2007, 09:55 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
Fester, if you check the top "sticky" thread in this forum, you can find some links to photos from some various neighborhoods in Durham. Granted, it's not too difficult for you to just drive by, but you might still get a kick out of it.

IdaClaire, you aren't weird! That or you and I can just be weird together. I love the wooded walking trails we have in Woodcroft, but I also like that our house has a tiny bit of history. The family that lived in this house before us was just as sweet as can be & I kinda like that we'll have shared memories here. Guess I'm a sentimental romantic sort.

It amuses my husband greatly when people refer to the homes in Woodcroft as "old". The houses here are about 20 years old ... which can be considered older in a place that is growing as fastas the Triangle, but it's still a young pup compared to our old house in England that was more than 100 years old!

Old 08-04-2007, 09:10 PM

11 posts, read 35,210 times
Default Chatham County

You also might want to look in Chatham County. You can get a lot more bang for your buck compared to Orange County. Property taxes are a lot lower, and you can still get a decent amount of land if that's important to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary