Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 3,320 times

Advertisements

I have reviewed numerous post on this web site. My question is why is everyone so high on Cary( overcrowded and expensive) and ignore other up and coming areas of Wake County such as Wake Forest. I too am planning on moving to Wake County and from what I have observed, North of 540/ Capital Blvd is a thriving area with just about everything that you need. If you are relocation from anywhere north of Richmond VA (what is this crap about traffic and commuting time..be for real) Enjoy the place, the pace is slower... which is good. I have a question, I need some local information on Stonegate housing area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2006, 12:33 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,134 times
The area on Capital Blvd north of 540 is nice, but it feels further out and I think the traffic is going to be worse there in the coming years. Capital Blvd is congested during rush hour and on weekends. Also Cary doesn't feel overcrowded or expensive to me, coming from Northern Virginia. It has the feel of an upscale suburban town. It has easier highway access, (I-40 and 440 are right there), has more NON-CHAIN restaurants and it's going to have the first Trader Joe's in NC! Wake Forest feels WAY too rural for me.

Old 11-01-2006, 12:46 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,029,735 times
I am probably the wrong person to answer this because I have lived in cary and now live in wake forest, and I moved for many reason, but peace and quiet was one..........

anyhow, stonegate. I have shown a couple of clients houses there, I like the neighborhood. The houses are very nice, although some people on the board have had difficulty with McCar homes ( I think you can do a search for that and find out some information), I felt like they were well built. The lot sizes were smaller than I would prefer, .22, but that is me. The only other things I didn't necessarily like is the school district (east millbrook middle and knightdale high school) but that is me. The area where stonegate is going up is going to have two grocery stores very close by (a harris teeter and a lowe's food).

There are other neighborhoods in wake forest with a similar feel as well.

The PP said that wake forest seems far out, and rural. I have to say, when I lived in cary I thought wake forest was way out there. Now that I am here, I don't. But, I rarely feel the need to go to cary, or down capital blvd for that matter. The things I need are in wake forest, or I can go falls of the neuse to north raleigh and all is well. So, I think that it is all your perspective in the situation. I like wake forest because it is not as spread out as cary, has a small town feel but offers the things that I want to be content.

Leigh

Old 11-01-2006, 04:53 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
The area on Capital Blvd north of 540 is nice, but it feels further out and I think the traffic is going to be worse there in the coming years. Capital Blvd is congested during rush hour and on weekends. Also Cary doesn't feel overcrowded or expensive to me, coming from Northern Virginia. It has the feel of an upscale suburban town. It has easier highway access, (I-40 and 440 are right there), has more NON-CHAIN restaurants and it's going to have the first Trader Joe's in NC! Wake Forest feels WAY too rural for me.
So whats the deal with the appeal of Trader Joe's? Where I live we have one in just about every neighborhood. And I don't get it! So much of the food is processed and tastes like CHAIN restaurant food. I'd much rather have a Whole Foods or better yet a long organic chain or a farmers market. Now I'll admit Trader Joes has the best deal on fresh cut flowers. But flowers at the farmers market are fresher and local!!

Old 11-01-2006, 08:00 PM

647 posts, read 3,340,021 times
[quote=PDXmom;147925]So whats the deal with the appeal of Trader Joe's? Where I live we have one in just about every neighborhood. And I don't get it!

Oh my gosh, I TOTALLY agree!! It seems like everyone loves it, and I don't get the appeal. I shop there occasionally, but would never do all my grocery shopping there. Most nice grocery stores have good selections of organic foods, and I've never been impressed with TJ's produce selection. And boy is their stuff expensive!!!! Yikes!! I've priced the same products at TJ's and a local grocery store, and it's ALWAYS more expensive at TJ's. It's a nice store, but I'm with you - I don't get it. I prefer farmers markets for the "good stuff" --- sure can't beat really fresh tomatos

Old 11-01-2006, 08:09 PM

Where do you live? In Northern VA the prices at Trader Joe's are usually FAR lower than at a local supermarket for similar products. A bottle of Nutella spread is a dollar cheaper, fresh buffalo mozarella is half the price, and pomegranate juice is half the price.

Old 11-02-2006, 03:54 PM

271 posts, read 1,213,075 times
I'm pretty much a long time resident on the city of Raleigh but I am very familiar with both Cary and Wake Forest. If I had to choose I would pick Wake Forest, easily. It hasnt gotten to big for it's on good yet like Cary has yet it is just as close if not closer to many of the ammenities Cary has. To me and several people I work with Cary is just so carbon copy. Every street looks the same every house the same and at night I have know several people to get lost on the Maynard loop which in itself is a another story.

But people continue to move to Cary because it is consistently listed in those "Best Places" Lists and it is a nice place but at 120,000 +/- people, it's getting just a little too crowded. And traffic around crossroads is the worst on the weekends. I would much rather traverse Wakeforest and adjoining Raleigh than Cary.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:18 AM

2 posts, read 4,974 times
I just moved to Cary and I love it. It took awhile getting use to the weird road scheme and lack of signs, but once you know where stuff is at its not a problem. I tend to avoid the crossroads plaza though because of all the traffic and messed up intersections...

We looked as far as North Raleigh, but since my new job was in Morrisville, I wanted to avoid that rush hour crunch that occurs around 40 and 540. So it all depends on where you're going to work. If you work in the Northern or Eastern part of Raleigh, then Wake Forest probably is the better choice to live.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:40 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,845,994 times
Cary seems really perfect, like a totally planned perfect beautiful place. I tseems totally middle & upper class. I never did see trailers there.
Wake Forest is an old town, with trailers near Tara-like "spreads" near new subdivisions near a historic district.
It has "layers" if you know what I mean.
There is a bigger variety of people up here.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:40 AM

There are trailers in Cary, near the intersection of Chatham Street and Maynard Road east of downtown Cary. These are the only trailer parks I have seen in Cary, however. Cary is also not a totally planned community. Some of the subdivisions within Cary were planned unit developments (PUDs) but the town itself is an old town as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary