Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 11:29 AM

915 posts, read 2,382,531 times

Advertisements

Nobody's mentioned Four Square yet, which is one of my favorite white tablecloths in Durham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 11:49 AM

137 posts, read 552,847 times
Panciuto in Hillsborough is fabulous!

And, I hate Heron's too! For a while there they would only give you a reservation if you stayed in the hotel, who needs that?

Old 05-13-2011, 12:23 PM

355 posts, read 958,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth_John View Post
I'm actually not looking for anything in particular - just wanted to get a thread going about great, slightly more formal places to eat. I know of plenty of fun places to go, but haven't had the time (or the resources) to sample all of the more expensive options.
In that case, you can add Coquette, Frazier's Wine Bar, Bloomsbury Bistro (which works for fine dining as well), and Sitti, all in Raleigh - in addition to the ones I've mentioned earlier. I'll concur that Four Square belongs on your radar too.

And we haven't even talked about good casual places yet. But, that should be enough to keep you busy for a while.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:26 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,588 times
Il Palio in Chapel Hill.

Last edited by C_Lan; 05-13-2011 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-13-2011, 12:30 PM

826 posts, read 1,932,754 times
So glad to see some of my favorites already mentioned on the thread!

Heron's - yes, on the stuffier side but definitely a place to impress when people think of a typical "fancy" place. The chef's tasting menu is over-the-top - I remember one of the courses was an enormous piece of foie gras that was really too rich to finish!

Saint Jacques - LOVE the service and atmosphere and food! The strip mall feels takes away from the initial impression but once you get inside, Lil and his crew are fantastic. And they'll always do a little something special if you are celebrating something. Took friends there who love La Residence in CH but liked Saint Jacques even better!

In Durham, like Piedmont, Revolution, Vin Rouge for fancier seeming places with pretty good food.

Second Empire - the first I went there was for a office holiday party in a room down by the Tavern. I was a little disappointed by the food. But! Have been back twice for the chef's table where you sit IN THE KITCHEN with a customized menu (usually riffs on some of their menu items but with fancier frills) and the fun of watching all the action. It's not a very romantic place in the sense that it's not dim with candles but it's so much fun! The chef explains everything and talks to you throughout dinner and you are invited to prowl around the kitchen. Sometimes they throw you bits of extras that looks good, i.e. some calamari that looked delicious, a cheese plate, an extra dessert.

18 Seaboard - one of my new favorites. Great atmosphere, fantastic food and service. My favorite waiter is gone (sad) but still excellent service.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:31 PM

826 posts, read 1,932,754 times
Oops! Not sure how the Durham recs got into the middle of the post. Also agree with Clever User Name that we haven't touched any of the good casual places!

Old 05-13-2011, 01:01 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times
Porter's, Frazier's....I like the tavern at Second Empire, I wish Cappers and Swain's were still here.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:59 PM

285 posts, read 493,150 times
I've been consistently impressed with Nana's in Durham. Another favorite of mine is Thai Cafe, also in Durham. Not quite as fancy, but the food is delicious.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:58 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,824,312 times
Second Empire
An

Old 05-14-2011, 08:39 AM

445 posts, read 1,859,279 times
Mo's Diner in downtown Raleigh is also very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary